***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

All I know is if I hated a movie this much, I wouldn't watch it as many times as Calvert has, and I certainly wouldn't keep talking about it. 

Orrrr he is invested in the franchise and is disappointed in how things have been going.

It's "audience score" rating on RT is 46% - not good.

(Critics gave it a 91%)

I get being disappointed in it, but I don't get constantly complaining about it, especially considering the sequel isn't out yet.  If the third one doesn't answer questions or show why the things happened the way they did, sure.  Complain.  It just seems an awful lot like complaints of Leia picking Han over Luke, how Vader doesn't make sense as Luke's father and so on.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I get being disappointed in it, but I don't get constantly complaining about it, especially considering the sequel isn't out yet.  If the third one doesn't answer questions or show why the things happened the way they did, sure.  Complain.  It just seems an awful lot like complaints of Leia picking Han over Luke, how Vader doesn't make sense as Luke's father and so on.

Because it would be like the Browns going 4-12 next season and you have a bunch of people saying this is the best team the Browns ever had and just wait till next year because it will be even better. You will be asking yourself What in the literal f&^% and do you not know anything about the team from the 60's, and no the most recent history is them always effing it up so no more then likely next year will be ruined too.

53 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The only thing Star Wars can compare to in terms of a long standing movie series which is supposed to be connected to the ones before and after it is Harry Potter.  It is pretty freaking sad when Harry Potter movies, which were directed by a few different people can flat out perform new Star Wars with sequential plot.  Harry Potter movies all had a story line and progression throughout, a beginning, middle and the end.  The new Star Wars are just stupid and a grab for money instead of quality creation and introduction to new interesting characters and story lines for the future.  

How can one not complain, you are taking classic movies and characters and dragging them through the Sh*$*t.  

I get George Lucas wanting to make the first three I-III, even though arguably that was a total failure much less editing the classic originals and putting in these worthless CGI scenes that completely sucked, to tie together CGI from the I-III to now IV-VI.  Oh but Han steps on Jabba's tail, who gives a crap!  But really the 'series' was over and done and should be finished.  No one is adding onto The Godfather series for a freaking reason.  Now Disney bought them out, are transitioning the old charters to the new, killing them off.  Then going to keep making crap movies to sell stupid Disney Star Wars themed rides at the parks and the dumb cartoons along with whatever else they can. The foundation the new Star Wars movies has made is flat out terrible.  Back to again to the comment, make something freaking unique and different for once if they are going to keep this crap going and going. 

But no wait, these films are really good......  

PjZz.gif

Even Austin Powers knew when enough was enough and ended it.    There is a reason why The Last Jedi and 'Solo' have a box office difference in income of $916 million, maybe that will correct some of the decisions being made instead of putting out crap over and over again.

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The only thing Star Wars can compare to in terms of a long standing movie series which is supposed to be connected to the ones before and after it is Harry Potter.  It is pretty freaking sad when Harry Potter movies, which were directed by a few different people can flat out perform new Star Wars with sequential plot.  Harry Potter movies all had a story line and progression throughout, a beginning, middle and the end.

What? How in the world do you think these are comparable franchises? Because of the amount of movies?

Harry Potter was a book series first with source material to pull from

Harry Potter filmed the movies sequentially and one after the other without breaks

Harry Potter, while directed by a few directors, all had the original author overseeing the story

The only situational similarities are that there are currently 8 movies in the main story plot

On 7/16/2018 at 8:35 AM, Deadpulse said:

See i actually enjoyed most of the humor. 

Im curious, where do you guys fall:

1. Didn't like the humor in any way shape or form

2. Didnt like the humor BECAUSE it was out of place in a SW film

3. Liked the humor, but felt like it was out of place in the SW film

4. Liked the humor, SW film or not

I just didn't find it funny. With an exception or two. I've said before, I'm not really a Star Wars fan, so the whole thing some people go on about whether it's a real Star Wars movie or not because of stuff like that is kind of non-sense to me, but my issue with the humor was just that most of it wasn't funny. And in particular, it tended to be the drawn out stuff that was least funny, to me, so it was long and missed the mark. The Poe phone call. Most of the creatures on Luke's island. I like BB-8, but I do think his comedic moments were handled better in The Force Awakens. They did get a laugh out of me for Chewie trying to eat a Porg, but I think that was it from what I remember.

41 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

What? How in the world do you think these are comparable franchises? Because of the amount of movies?

Harry Potter was a book series first with source material to pull from

Harry Potter filmed the movies sequentially and one after the other without breaks

Harry Potter, while directed by a few directors, all had the original author overseeing the story

The only situational similarities are that there are currently 8 movies in the main story plot

They are long standing movie series that are supposed to go in a linear order and all be connected to each other.  Sure Harry Potter is benefited from an actual story and writer for them all but Star Wars I-VI had that outside of these latest Disney movies where it has kind of went off the rails.

For a long linear movie series I honestly do not really count any horror movie because they are usually not linear and even if they were it is just using the same bag guy villain monster in different ways over and over again.  And any comic book movie with multiple ones are usually literal spinoffs or origin stories along the way.  Then the entire Star Trek thing, I am not that familiar with them and not sure they even go in a exact linear order anyway.  Sure could maybe count them but not sure they are at the same brand level Star Wars is.  So that is how I compare the two, and again sadly Harry Potter was far more cohesive.  But no, instead they should go all Disney on it and make three new Harry Potter movies, kill off Hermione and Ron then introduce new crappy characters instead with similar plot lines.  

Could argue the new Rocky movies show more growth and character development than these new Star Wars movies.  The new Rocky movies brought something new to the table especially Creed and was different yet still using the main character.  So Disney should get a clue, or a new directer entirely.  

You’re comparing Star Wars to Harry Potter with regard to story continuity? Seriously? That might be even worse than arguing Disney hasn’t had any good movies since Finding Nemo.

Same author, written with the span of a few years, covering a few years, who acted as a resource for the movie adaption process.

No source material, movies written four decades apart, movies not all covering the same or a similar timeframe. Not to mention Lucas doesn’t have the greatest track record when it comes to dialog.

Really don't care for Rian. But honestly I am not surprised by this or anyone else who does after what happened to Gunn. I do think it's kinda funny, but sad at the same time. Now you cant preach whether your left or right, which is kinda fair to everyone. I guess.....

https://movieweb.com/amp/star-wars-director-rian-johnson-delete-20-thousand-tweets/

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Really don't care for Rian. But honestly I am not surprised by this or anyone else who does after what happened to Gunn. I do think it's kinda funny, but sad at the same time. Now you cant preach whether your left or right, which is kinda fair to everyone. I guess.....

https://movieweb.com/amp/star-wars-director-rian-johnson-delete-20-thousand-tweets/

Everyone in the public eye should at this point. Even things that seem innocuous could cause a firestorm in the right situation, context, etc. Best to just use Twitter as a marketing tool IMO

8 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

What shocks me more is that this guy has almost 1 Million followers on Twitter?  I mean Rian Johnson, a guy who at his absolute best directed and wrote Brick and Looper, still no one barely even knows those movies exist.  How does this guy have that kind of following?  Regardless this "untiled" Star Wars Trilogy is going to be a disaster and might actually be good if he is out.   

Maybe it is just IMDb being stupid but it says Gareth Edwards the director for Rogue One is a "Resistance Trench Soldier" in The Last Jedi movie?  Wow that is odd as hell, hey director of this other one that was ok, come be this worthless guy in the next movie.  

Really it would be awesome to get original unedited versions of IV, V and VI.  Not with the stupid George Lucas add in scenes or additional storm trooper stuff.  Would be really interesting to watch those again. Might have to buy some old VHS tapes of them, oh but I could watch the edited ones on TV instead, big surprise it was shown last night and the night before on TNT.  Oh hurrah...

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe it is just IMDb being stupid but it says Gareth Edwards the director for Rogue One is a "Resistance Trench Soldier" in The Last Jedi movie?  Wow that is odd as hell, hey director of this other one that was ok, come be this worthless guy in the next movie

This is true. People do this sort of thing all the time; it’s called a cameo. He’s the guy next to the guy who tastes the soil on Crait.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-cameos-who-is-joseph-gordon-levitt-james-corden-mark-hamill-playing

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

What shocks me more is that this guy has almost 1 Million followers on Twitter?  I mean Rian Johnson, a guy who at his absolute best directed and wrote Brick and Looper, still no one barely even knows those movies exist.  How does this guy have that kind of following?  Regardless this "untiled" Star Wars Trilogy is going to be a disaster and might actually be good if he is out.   

He directed a main series Star Wars movie. Of course he has that many followers.

18 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Everyone in the public eye should at this point. Even things that seem innocuous could cause a firestorm in the right situation, context, etc. Best to just use Twitter as a marketing tool IMO

The Wayback Machine archives everything.  His tweets and others are on there.  Old versions of this forum are on there, as are countless others.  You can go back and browse certain dates and times on busy days like it happened on the forum today. 

Archived