***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yes, I think it's stupid as well.  In my opinion, they could have worked movies in that took from the source material.  Harry Potter did the same thing.  They've made a ton of Jack Ryan movies and now have a TV show.  Lord of the Rings came from a huge, expansive book.  So you make a Thrawn movie that follows the plot of Zahn's original series.  Make a movie that follows the Black Fleet crisis.  Make a movie surrounding the events of the Jedi Academy trilogy.  Make a trilogy of movies around the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.  Instead, every single project was halted from the EU (except for The Old Republic) and things are instantly reset.  Novels and comics that folks such as myself who spent years reading go out the door.  It's this group that kept Star Wars going for all of those years, and Disney basically gave us the finger.  

I have another opinion besides this as to why they reset things, but it's not for this forum.  I was skeptical about things after The Force Awakens, but after how they botched The Last Jedi (it really felt like it was a DLC addition to The Force Awakens instead of a movie to stand on its own) I will just say this isn't the Star Wars that I grew up with.  

I think I could handle them bringing in these kinds of characters and places if they just came out and said they cant include everything from the EU but still wants to include it in this new universe. As Deadpulse pointed out. Everything is just too big and hes right. Same with Marvel, they couldnt include everything so they had to reimagine. Had they just been upfront and open and handled this differently all of this could have been different. The FO origins isnt exactly original in terms of scifi fiction. But its decently original as far as Star Wars go. Its expanded lore, it gives us more of the Star Wars Universe. And really that's the way it should have been. 

46 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I think I could handle them bringing in these kinds of characters and places if they just came out and said they cant include everything from the EU but still wants to include it in this new universe. As Deadpulse pointed out. Everything is just too big and hes right. Same with Marvel, they couldnt include everything so they had to reimagine. Had they just been upfront and open and handled this differently all of this could have been different. The FO origins isnt exactly original in terms of scifi fiction. But its decently original as far as Star Wars go. Its expanded lore, it gives us more of the Star Wars Universe. And really that's the way it should have been. 

Or you could layer canon, but I get your point.  The way they did it was terrible, but that's over and done with and this is what we have.  I just hope they do a better job with Episode 9.  Star Wars is a huge franchise, and I hate to say it's a make or break game for it, but after the disasters with The Last Jedi, micro transactions in Battlefront II and the poor showing from Solo, it's about as make or break anything could be for Star Wars right now. 

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

you cant put that on Star Wars, IIRC Disney even considered pulling the rights from EA after that debacle. 

Yeah, but it's still a blackeye to the franchise, and there are even some complaints going back to people considering the 2015 version of Battlefront wasn't released as a complete game.  

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, but it's still a blackeye to the franchise, and there are even some complaints going back to people considering the 2015 version of Battlefront wasn't released as a complete game.  

Again though, 100% at the discretion of EA

20 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

This is beyond stupid. Goes to show Disney as being lazy and having no direction for this franchise.

So Legends which is not considered canon can bring a non canon character from it like Thrawn (who basically started the Expanded Universe) and make him canon. They consider this legit?

I don’t mind it at all.  There’s so much trash in the EU.  Even some stuff that is excellent conceptually just wasn’t executed well.  There’s no way the EU can be co-signed imo.  So take what’s good from it when you want like Thrawn. 

Their handling of all the old material isn't even really anything new. That kind of stuff happens with extended universes semi-regularly. Both Marvel and DC have had major comic universe reboots before. Relaunching all or parts of the material or segmenting it off in different ways, either for single characters/comics or the entire universe. With too much material and too much having happened it eventually restricts what you can and want to do going forward. And reintroducing individual characters or storylines or pieces really doesn't contradict it, either. If they reintroduce an old character, it doesn't necessarily mean everything around him in the old stuff is canon, it just means they're reintroducing the character again, fresh. DC did it with tons of characters around New 52. Basically anything that happened to anyone without Bat or Green Lantern in it's name was washed away, so you had a lot of old characters reintroduced, but that didn't mean all their baggage and old stories came with them. Marvel had the launch and then death of the Ultimate universe, with a bunch of the same names and characters but altered back stories or trimmed down histories. Selective retconning and labeling of canon, be it with a scalpel or a chainsaw is neither new nor uncommon.

8 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Their handling of all the old material isn't even really anything new. That kind of stuff happens with extended universes semi-regularly. Both Marvel and DC have had major comic universe reboots before. Relaunching all or parts of the material or segmenting it off in different ways, either for single characters/comics or the entire universe. With too much material and too much having happened it eventually restricts what you can and want to do going forward. And reintroducing individual characters or storylines or pieces really doesn't contradict it, either. If they reintroduce an old character, it doesn't necessarily mean everything around him in the old stuff is canon, it just means they're reintroducing the character again, fresh. DC did it with tons of characters around New 52. Basically anything that happened to anyone without Bat or Green Lantern in it's name was washed away, so you had a lot of old characters reintroduced, but that didn't mean all their baggage and old stories came with them. Marvel had the launch and then death of the Ultimate universe, with a bunch of the same names and characters but altered back stories or trimmed down histories. Selective retconning and labeling of canon, be it with a scalpel or a chainsaw is neither new nor uncommon.

We are talking about an EU that spans books, comics, video games, TV, and film. Just comics are one thing, and I do still think there is a point to be had in the comparison, however the Star Wars EU is its own beast. It really is strange how in any other franchise comparable to Star Wars, mediums are separate for the most part. At least the films are separate. Sure you get cannon TV comics like Buffy and Firefly (its not just Joss I just cant think of another right now lol), but those are all of dead TV shows that arent coming back (althought anything is possible in the age of reboots). Marvel comics and the MCU are obviously super separate. Star Wars is quite unique in this sense and I am not sure if its because the fans demand the continuity or if it just happened and they got stuck in it lol.  

Archived