Your Draft Hot Takes

Dr LBC

34 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Marcus Davenport goes before Bradley Chubb.

Probably won't happen, but I think it will in re-drafts. Davenport is underrated. Chubb is a little overrated. They're close and I actually have Davenport ahead of Chubb right now.

I really don't see that.  Why do you have Davenport in front of Chubb?

Just now, Chwf3rd25 said:

I really don't see that.  Why do you have Davenport in front of Chubb?

Athleticism. Davenport is a lot more athletic and has a higher upside. I also think Davenport is a more violent player. Chubb is more refined, wins with effort, and is better at controlling his gap right now, but Davenport is longer, more athletic, and plays with great violence. Basically, I think Davenport has A+ upside with a relatively high floor as well. Chubb doesn't really have many flaws, but he's not athletic enough to consistently harass less than athletic OT's in the NFL. Davenport will change games when he's up against a slow-footed guy.

Out of any of the pass rushers, I think Davenport's bull rush is the most effective move used by any of the DE's in the class. I am just really underwhelmed with Chubbs athleticism and think it will limit how many splash plays he's able to make in the NFL.

29 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Athleticism. Davenport is a lot more athletic and has a higher upside. I also think Davenport is a more violent player. Chubb is more refined, wins with effort, and is better at controlling his gap right now, but Davenport is longer, more athletic, and plays with great violence. Basically, I think Davenport has A+ upside with a relatively high floor as well. Chubb doesn't really have many flaws, but he's not athletic enough to consistently harass less than athletic OT's in the NFL. Davenport will change games when he's up against a slow-footed guy.

Out of any of the pass rushers, I think Davenport's bull rush is the most effective move used by any of the DE's in the class. I am just really underwhelmed with Chubbs athleticism and think it will limit how many splash plays he's able to make in the NFL.

I'm curious what you think of Taven Bryan then.  He seems similar to Davenport to me in terms of athletic potential vs lack of refinement.

51 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Jessie Bates III & Jordan Whitehead will be an All-Pro by their 2nd year.

I was just watching Bates III today and I cannot say I agree with this take. I think he is solid and like him in the 4th. Thought I would like him more on close evaluation but found a lot of flaws in his game. Misses a lot of tackles because he doesn't wrap-up and his feet go dead on contact, rarely plays single-high safety (which is more of what his body type would probably suggest), and his feet and hips seem average. I think he works well with the action in front of him and he reads and reacts very well to the ball. Kind of plays a similar role to Minkah Fitzpatrick; he's shades the slot a lot and is asked to fly up against the run. Bates III is a solid athlete (supposedly runs low 4.5's) and a good player but he has a lot to clean up to reach an All-Pro level.

I don’t know how hot these takes are, but really early on in the process I’ve got it. I do think athletic testing is important at certain positions (pass rusher particularly), so these could change:-

·         Josh Allen has everything you want physically in a passer, but has fatal flaws to his game I’m not sure can get ironed out in a hurry. I wouldn’t take him in the first round, I think he is fool’s gold for any GM tempted in the first round. I really hope it’s the Jets.

·         Kalen Ballage was physically intriguing before the senior bowl, the fact he’s shown an advanced ability to run routes and catch the football should rocket his stock. Wouldn’t normally say this, but ignore the tape and that funky system. We are talking about a first round talent.

·         There are no first round receivers, but James Washington is the most intriguing now he’s shown some polish as a route runner and some deep speed. It’s difficult to evaluate his tape.

·         Taven Bryan has the best get-off I’ve seen since Aaron Donald was coming out and he's got that ability to play win immediately with leverage too. I’ve  been fooled by Gator D-lineman before. Need to see how he tests. If he tests well, his draft stock will explode

·         Marcus Davenport is years away from reaching his potential, his best landing spot is on a team that can bring him on slowly

·         The erasure of Lamar Jackson as a top tier QB prospect in this class is concerning, unfounded and typical of outdated views that still hold weight within NFL evaluation circles

·         This is the deepest interior offensive line draft I can remember. Teams with multiple needs on their offensive line should be able to fill their boots

·         The best pass-rusher from this class could be someone who isn’t employed as a full-time rusher, Lorenzo Carter from Georgia. Watch his stock if he has a good combine

This is the best RB draft ever.  The top-end talent is elite (with Saquon Barkley being the most talented RB prospect since Barry Sanders) and so is the depth.  There are a lot of future starters and pro-bowlers in this class. 

Thus far in the process here are my favorites:

1. Saquon  Barkley (Penn State)

2. Rashaad Penny (San Diego State)

3. Ronald Jones II (USC)

4. Mark Walton (Miami)

5. John Kelly (Tennessee)

6. Kalen Ballage (Arizona State)

7. Sony Michel (Georgia)

8. Derruis Guice (LSU)

9. Bo Scarbrough (Alabama)

10. Kerryon Johnson (Auburn)

On 29/01/2018 at 5:22 AM, BleedTheClock said:

I really don’t see what you see with regards to Chubbs athleticism.

13 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I don’t know how hot these takes are, but really early on in the process I’ve got it. I do think athletic testing is important at certain positions (pass rusher particularly), so these could change:-

·         Josh Allen has everything you want physically in a passer, but has fatal flaws to his game I’m not sure can get ironed out in a hurry. I wouldn’t take him in the first round, I think he is fool’s gold for any GM tempted in the first round. I really hope it’s the Jets.

·         Kalen Ballage was physically intriguing before the senior bowl, the fact he’s shown an advanced ability to run routes and catch the football should rocket his stock. Wouldn’t normally say this, but ignore the tape and that funky system. We are talking about a first round talent.

·         There are no first round receivers, but James Washington is the most intriguing now he’s shown some polish as a route runner and some deep speed. It’s difficult to evaluate his tape.

·         Taven Bryan has the best get-off I’ve seen since Aaron Donald was coming out and he's got that ability to play win immediately with leverage too. I’ve  been fooled by Gator D-lineman before. Need to see how he tests. If he tests well, his draft stock will explode

·         Marcus Davenport is years away from reaching his potential, his best landing spot is on a team that can bring him on slowly

·         The erasure of Lamar Jackson as a top tier QB prospect in this class is concerning, unfounded and typical of outdated views that still hold weight within NFL evaluation circles

·         This is the deepest interior offensive line draft I can remember. Teams with multiple needs on their offensive line should be able to fill their boots

·         The best pass-rusher from this class could be someone who isn’t employed as a full-time rusher, Lorenzo Carter from Georgia. Watch his stock if he has a good combine

These are whatever the opposite of hot takes are.

Archived