Your Draft Hot Takes

Dr LBC

1 minute ago, Word_is_Bond said:

I know these are hot takes, but I would bet a great sum of money against this one.

There is literally nothing special about Freeman's game. Sure, he's one of the most decorated Pac-12 rusher's of all-time, but he doesn't do much for me on film. I like him as a Day 3 guy, he could provide decent depth at the next level, but his ceiling is not much higher than his floor. Has good a good build, but already tons of miles on the odometer.

No way he goes in the first round with the 2nd tier featuring guys like Damien Harris, Bryce Love, Ronald Jones, Nick Chubb and others.

it was a hot take

6 minutes ago, Word_is_Bond said:

I know these are hot takes, but I would bet a great sum of money against this one.

There is literally nothing special about Freeman's game. Sure, he's one of the most decorated Pac-12 rusher's of all-time, but he doesn't do much for me on film. I like him as a Day 3 guy, he could provide decent depth at the next level, but his ceiling is not much higher than his floor. Has good a good build, but already tons of miles on the odometer.

No way he goes in the first round with the 2nd tier featuring guys like Damien Harris, Bryce Love, Ronald Jones, Nick Chubb and others.

Freeman is in the same tier as Chubb, Love and imo much better than Harris. Ronald Jones is closer to Guice than those other guys

1 hour ago, Word_is_Bond said:

I'm more in alignment with you. I have never particularly cared for Freeman when watching him. Didn't care for him last year, nothing has changed this year. I don't know...just nothing that really excites me about his game in the least. Not really sure why...he just leaves me cold. 

18 hours ago, Word_is_Bond said:

Auden Tate is WR1: First let me say that I'm a big fan of Calvin Ridley. However, I think Auden Tate holds much more upside. I may be a little bias here because big-bodied WRs with rare size and athleticism are one of my favorite molds among any position. Tate turns a 50/50 ball into an 80/20 ball. He may draw a lot of comparisons to Mike Williams, but I think he's actually a better contested catcher, a better route runner and probably a better athlete as well. Graceful body control with locked-in concentration along with his size and athleticism is rare, and gives Tate potential to be an elite WR in the NFL.

I'll start by saying I like Auden Tate a lot. But to say he's a better contested catcher than Williams seems like a stretch. Mike Williams is one of the best, if not the best, contested football catchers I have seen. He might be able to be AS good, but I don't know how you could be better at it than that dude. He is a better route runner and athlete though, for sure. I also think Sutton is extremely overrated.

12 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Royce Freeman sneaks into round 1

Woah...I got roasted for saying this last year but I'll say it again: I wouldn't touch this dude until the 4th round or later. He does nothing to separate himself from anyone else. He's very quick for a dude that is 225-230, but he doesn't incorporate any power into his running style. He's a big softy that could help a team as a 3rd down pass catcher type, but I do not like him as a prospect and the thought of him going in the first round makes me sad.

10 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Strongly disagree on the bolded. Ward is tremendous against the run and delivered one of the biggest hits this college season.

No he isn't. I really like Ward, but calling him a tremendous run defender is not even remotely accurate. I kept hearing how amazing he was from some other posters (might have been you actually) and decided to go back and watch more film on him. I had this notion that he was a good run defender when watching OSU play live, but when actually sitting there with eyes locked on Ward, I found him to be a habitual pile watcher. And making a spectacular hit does not mean you are a good run defender. He is usually in position to make the play, but he doesn't attack the ball carrier with any urgency, nor will he smack you head on. He's an adequate run defender and won't have issues there in the pros, but calling him tremendous would be an oversell, IMO. He's average at best in that regard, which is all he will be asked to be in the pros. I'm not crapping on the dude...he's a top 15 pick and rightfully so. But He's been a little too overhyped.

Here's one that won't be popular:

Minkah Fitzpatrick is overrated. He's good. He's a 10 year starter at the safety/nickel position. But I've seen Ed Reed/Earl Thomas comparisons thrown out recently and those couldn't be further from the truth. He's not some terribly flawed prospect by any stretch--he does his job 95% of the time. But he's not nearly as good in coverage as people are making him out to be. This isn't Jalen Ramsey. He can't play corner, people. He will struggle to cover NFL receivers in press man coverage, even from the slot. I keep seeing him get pub as a top 5 pick and boy I don't see that. I wouldn't take him over Derwin James, that's for sure. And I might take Ronnie Harrison over him too. Fitzpatrick is a very good football player, but nothing in his game screams elite to me. If I'm taking a guy in the top 5, he better have some elite ability and if someone would like to tell me what Minkah is so elite at, I'd be happy to listen. He's underrated as a run defender and supremely overrated as some ballhawking FS that people are claiming he is going to be.

43 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Boy I don't think Miller has anywhere near the kind of speed that Brown has.

I wasn't comparing their playing styles at all, just that they were both smaller, older, small school receivers. Although Memphis had some decent wins on their schedule compared to pittsburg state. 

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Here's one that won't be popular:

Minkah Fitzpatrick is overrated. He's good. He's a 10 year starter at the safety/nickel position. But I've seen Ed Reed/Earl Thomas comparisons thrown out recently and those couldn't be further from the truth. He's not some terribly flawed prospect by any stretch--he does his job 95% of the time. But he's not nearly as good in coverage as people are making him out to be. This isn't Jalen Ramsey. He can't play corner, people. He will struggle to cover NFL receivers in press man coverage, even from the slot. I keep seeing him get pub as a top 5 pick and boy I don't see that. I wouldn't take him over Derwin James, that's for sure. And I might take Ronnie Harrison over him too. Fitzpatrick is a very good football player, but nothing in his game screams elite to me. If I'm taking a guy in the top 5, he better have some elite ability and if someone would like to tell me what Minkah is so elite at, I'd be happy to listen. He's underrated as a run defender and supremely overrated as some ballhawking FS that people are claiming he is going to be.

Been saying this. Stay tuned for my ethering of your Denzel Ward run defense take.

9 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Hot take?

Dre'Mont Jones will be a first round pick

That's not really a hot take. It's just a question of whether he declares or not.

If the high majority of the pieces at Ohio State stay for another year, they are going to (once again) have a strong shot at the playoffs. Dre'Mont has a ton of talent. 

26 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Josh Allen is a bum.

Just another underachieving “toolsy” guy who won’t be anything more than a back-up, if that. What makes him any better than Hackenberg? Or a Nate Sudfeld?

• Josh Rosen’s career will mirror Matt Ryan’s

• Sam Darnold will rival the likes of Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady... if he’s drafted by the Giants and gets to sit a year behind Manning.

• Lamar Jackson will be what Kaepernick should’ve been

• Royce Freeman is a poor mans Spencer Ware

• Rashaad Penny will produce Kareem Hunt numbers if he goes to the Ravens, the Colts (w/ healthy Luck), the 49ers

• Derrius Guice is adequate but not spectacular. Never rushes for a 1000 yards in a season his entire career.

• SaQuon Barkley underperforms his draft status. A consistent performer but never materializes into the annual 1500+ total yard back he’s expected be.

• The most productive WRs from this class will be Anthony Miller and Calvin Ridley

• Connor Williams will make the Pro Bowl if he goes to a play-off caliber team

• Quenton Nelson won’t play like he’s the best guard to come out of this draft class

• Billy Price does no better than Eflein his rookie year

I’ve got more.

Josh Allen is a 4th round pick.

Additionally, lots of paid mockers (Mel, Todd, etc) seem to have been lazy this year, giving a lot of free passes for down years.  I think other guys like Arden Key will fall substantially in the process.  

There is a lot of buzz about the quarterbacks, but this isn't Luck and RG3, or Winston and Mariota.

In general this is the most overwhelmed by a draft class that I have ever been.

11 hours ago, alfalcone said:

Josh Allen is a 4th round pick.

Additionally, lots of paid mockers (Mel, Todd, etc) seem to have been lazy this year, giving a lot of free passes for down years.  I think other guys like Arden Key will fall substantially in the process.  

There is a lot of buzz about the quarterbacks, but this isn't Luck and RG3, or Winston and Mariota.

In general this is the most overwhelmed by a draft class that I have ever been.

Whether you like him or not, Josh Allen is going high. 

And three of the four quarterbacks you mentioned have turned out to either be average so far (Winston and Mariota) or a bust (RG3). 

I feel like this is a lazy post by somebody who hasn't actually taken a close look at this quarterbacks and is just riding a few bad box scores.

Archived