Jump to content
The LBC

Your Draft Hot Takes

Recommended Posts

Equanimeous St. Brown (WR Notre Dame) is the first receiver taken in this draft. 

Clayton Thorson (QB Northwestern), Simmie Cobbs Jr. (WR Indiana), & Anthony Miller (WR Memphis) go at the end of round 1. 

Edit: Last one

Derrius Guice/Ronald Jones are not that good. 

Edited by YogiBiz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 5:53 PM, Da_Ducktator said:

That's not really a hot take. It's just a question of whether he declares or not.

If the high majority of the pieces at Ohio State stay for another year, they are going to (once again) have a strong shot at the playoffs. Dre'Mont has a ton of talent. 

I don't think he declares and I think it's smart. Another year of tape lands him firmly in the 1st round. He's fringe R1 if he declares this year. I want to see this dude show up more consistently and not simply show flashes of dominance. He's not wildly inconsistent like Chris Jones was in college, but I'd like to see him take over games on the interior, which he hasn't done quite yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Equanimeous St. Brown (WR Notre Dame) is the first receiver taken in this draft. 

Clayton Thorson (QB Northwestern), Simmie Cobbs Jr. (WR Indiana), & Anthony Miller (WR Memphis) go at the end of round 1. 

Edit: Last one

Derrius Guice/Ronald Jones are not that good. 

Woah. These are hot takes. Except the Ronald Jones one. I agree he's not that great. I was hoping to see him develop more after his sensational freshman season, but he never really took the next step. People are throwing out Jamaal Charles comparisons, but those comparisons seem ridiculously high to me. He doesn't have the same kind of loose hips as Charles and doesn't slam it up inside the way Charles was willing to do when he was a young man.

 

St. Brown is bleh. I don't know if he's in my top 5 WR's right now to be honest. I still have a lot of work to do on the WR's though.

Clayton Thorson in the first round seems insane to me. He's not bad in any one area, but he doesn't wow you with anything. He screams NFL backup.

Simmie Cobbs won't test well enough to go that high IMO. He lacks both long speed and quickness.

Anthony Miller is shooting up draft boards, but I think it's unwarranted. He's not very big and doesn't make up for his lack of size with rocket speed.

Derrius Guice has every tool you look for. He was overrated when people put his name in the top 10 discussion, but he's easily RB #2 behind Barkley for me. He reminds me of Darren McFadden if McFadden had lateral agility. That would be a scary football player. He does dance a little too much for a big dude and I'd like to see him create for himself with power at the LOS more than he does. A team with an established OL would make Guice an elite selection as he'll do some amazing things in the open field and create big plays if you get the front 4 taken care of.

 

Again, these are called hot takes for a reason so I can't possibly bash you for your thought process. If people agreed with you, they wouldn't be hot takes:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 7:15 PM, One Punch Man said:

Just another underachieving “toolsy” guy who won’t be anything more than a back-up, if that. What makes him any better than Hackenberg? Or a Nate Sudfeld?

-He's way more mobile than those two for starters. Additionally, he plays in a pro style offense and actually reads the entire field. He reads quickly and is much more decisive. Basically, he plays in a less gimmicky scheme. He sees a lot of man coverage as opposed to zone coverage, which Hack and Sudfeld worked against primarily. I don't know if he's a top 10 guy, but I think he's a lot more mature when it comes to the smaller things (NFL footwork, play action, reads, pocket presence, scheme).

• Josh Rosen’s career will mirror Matt Ryan’s

-Could definitely see this.

• Sam Darnold will rival the likes of Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady... if he’s drafted by the Giants and gets to sit a year behind Manning.

-If he's that good, why would he ONLY be that good with the Giants? If he's as good as Brady and Rodgers, he'd be that good with anyone. I don't think he's THAT good, but I do think he's a pro bowl QB.

• Lamar Jackson will be what Kaepernick should’ve been

-Possibly. I like Lamar a lot. My only concern with him is his collegiate offense. Not many pro style concepts, rarely sees man coverage, and doesn't go through his progressions. I still think he can be a very good QB, as he's accurate and might be the best athlete at QB that can actually throw...ever?

• Royce Freeman is a poor mans Spencer Ware

-Great comparison. Nothing about Freeman gets me excited. I think he's a rotational back that will never be a feature back.

• Rashaad Penny will produce Kareem Hunt numbers if he goes to the Ravens, the Colts (w/ healthy Luck), the 49ers

-Strange you picked the Colts and 49ers. Their OL's are putrid and neither of those teams pride themselves on running the football. I like Penny, but I wouldn't take him before R3. He runs upright, has very little wiggle, and appears too linear to be a punishing runner. He is a gifted athlete and has 3-down capability though. I just don't think he's special.

• Derrius Guice is adequate but not spectacular. Never rushes for a 1000 yards in a season his entire career.

-Disagree. He reminds me of Darren McFadden with much more lateral agility. He needs to bury his head and attack a little more and stop dancing, but if DMC had 2 1000+ seasons, I have no doubt Guice will hit that mark. I wouldn't call him a spectacular prospect, but he's a very good one.

• SaQuon Barkley underperforms his draft status. A consistent performer but never materializes into the annual 1500+ total yard back he’s expected be.

-Disagree again. Why don't you think he's going to light up the league? He has every single trait necessary to be an elite player. Nothing in his game suggests solid but unspectacular. He's elite at everything other than running between the tackles with power, where he's still above average.

• The most productive WRs from this class will be Anthony Miller and Calvin Ridley

-Ridley is a monster. He'd be worth a top 10 pick IMO. Miller will be productive, but I don't think he gets drafted very high. He should catch a lot of passes and be a nightmare for defenders in the intermediate range.

• Connor Williams will make the Pro Bowl if he goes to a play-off caliber team

-Not sure why he would need to be on a playoff caliber team to make the pro bowl, unless you're saying he won't get votes otherwise. I think he's going to be a great player and I could see pro bowls for this dude. Lane Johnson-esque.

• Quenton Nelson won’t play like he’s the best guard to come out of this draft class

-Probably your hottest take. Nelson is the best player in the draft regardless of position. He's flawless from a technique standpoint and checks every box physically. What makes you think he won't be the best guard in this draft class? I gave him a perfect grade...the first perfect grade I have ever given to a prospect (started using my grading scale in 2011).

• Billy Price does no better than Eflein his rookie year

-Hasn't Elflein been pretty solid? Price is going to be a good pro, but I don't know if there are pro bowls in his future. I wish he was a little bit bigger and did less zone blocking and more Gap-On-Backer power blocking.

I’ve got more.

-Keep 'em coming! I appreciate the hot takes and while I may not agree with all of them, hot takes by rule aren't supposed to be fully backed by others.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Woah. These are hot takes. Except the Ronald Jones one. I agree he's not that great. I was hoping to see him develop more after his sensational freshman season, but he never really took the next step. People are throwing out Jamaal Charles comparisons, but those comparisons seem ridiculously high to me. He doesn't have the same kind of loose hips as Charles and doesn't slam it up inside the way Charles was willing to do when he was a young man.

 

St. Brown is bleh. I don't know if he's in my top 5 WR's right now to be honest. I still have a lot of work to do on the WR's though.

Clayton Thorson in the first round seems insane to me. He's not bad in any one area, but he doesn't wow you with anything. He screams NFL backup.

Simmie Cobbs won't test well enough to go that high IMO. He lacks both long speed and quickness.

Anthony Miller is shooting up draft boards, but I think it's unwarranted. He's not very big and doesn't make up for his lack of size with rocket speed.

Derrius Guice has every tool you look for. He was overrated when people put his name in the top 10 discussion, but he's easily RB #2 behind Barkley for me. He reminds me of Darren McFadden if McFadden had lateral agility. That would be a scary football player. He does dance a little too much for a big dude and I'd like to see him create for himself with power at the LOS more than he does. A team with an established OL would make Guice an elite selection as he'll do some amazing things in the open field and create big plays if you get the front 4 taken care of.

 

Again, these are called hot takes for a reason so I can't possibly bash you for your thought process. If people agreed with you, they wouldn't be hot takes:D

On St. Brown. Pay attention to the guy. He has great speed, he's quick, explosive, he's physical, he's deceptively strong, he's a good route runner, and he has good hands. He literally checks off every box, but the production one. But if you see how bad ND's QB play has been you can see why. 

Thorson again is solid in every area, but excels with athleticism and arm strength. He has a quick delivery, and his mechanics are good. He is going to surprise a lot of people with fast he rises in the offseason. Heck, I've seen on multiple outlets that he's already getting looks in the second round. A good combine (which I expect him to have) will help his stock skyrocket. 

Cobbs, I just like him. He just always seems to find a way open in the field. He's also got great hands, can jump high, and is hard to bring down. He'll have some good years. 

Miller, isn't rocket fast. But he's lightning quick, runs amazing routes, catches everything, and he really highpoints the ball well. He just plays bigger than 5'11", he's quick, and he's a great route runner. 

 

With Guice, I think it might be the dancing. I've just never like RB's that go East-to-West instead of North-to-South.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

With Guice, I think it might be the dancing. I've just never like RB's that go East-to-West instead of North-to-South.

This is the opposite of who Guice is from my evaluation. I've seen him give up possible yards outside because he likes to get upfield so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

This is the opposite of who Guice is from my evaluation. I've seen him give up possible yards outside because he likes to get upfield so much.

Strange....I sense that he doesn't trust his eyes. He always looks unsure of where he wants to go and like he's waiting to put a move on someone instead of pressing the hole and running dudes over. Weird we have completely different evaluations of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BleedTheClock

Sorry for the late reply brother.

1. Hackenberg is fairly mobile, no? At least I recall him running like a 4.7 which is what I expect Allen to run. Maybe the offense at Penn didn’t help him showcase his mobility. But you might be right on the rest. Haven’t evaluated Allen’s game THAT much. 

2. I think the Giants will do their best Vikings impression: revamp the offensive line in free agency, draft a stud RB in the 2nd or 3rd. Darnold will have the luxury to sit behind Manning for a year. And with those WRs? Make his job easy for him. His development will be speed up by the confidence he’ll have in his situation.

Place him in a bad situation though, I think it’ll take him longer to develop and get the respect he’ll deserve, based off his stats. 

3. Glad you agree on the Freeman-Ware comparison. Was never a fan of either.

4. I mainly put those teams for Penny because the rest of the casts have big positives. Especially play-callers that get the RB involved in the pass.

5. Agree to disagree. Can’t put a finger on it. I just come away feeling underwhelmed when I watch Guice. Like a poor mans Ray Rice or something.

6. Nelson and Barkley.. I have no real analysis to back my hot takes other than gut feeling 😂 This would be a real Aaron Curry situation. Everything points to them being All-Pros, but that’s exactly why they’ll bust, sort of thing.

6.From what I see and read, Eflien has been off and on. Commands the line real well but is still coming along as a blocker. Needs to develop anchoring, strength overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loathe this QB class. Rosen is the most talented but there’s something off about him whether it’s his injuries or something else (mental state).

Sure Darnold makes some great plays but he at times looks absolutely clueless. His mechanics at times this year have been diabolical.

The Mayfield hype to me is mind boggling to me. He’s basically what would happen to Colt McCoy if he were hopped up Vodka and Redbull. Great college player but I’m not seeing how his game will translate to the NFL.

Love Lamar Jackson’s game but again I’m back to the problem of running athletic QBs and their lifespan and not convinced by his pocket game.

Josh Allen is the typical NFL coach vanity project where coaches believe they can teach QB accuracy and touch because a QB has great physical QB genetics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2017 at 9:33 PM, BleedTheClock said:

-If he's that good, why would he ONLY be that good with the Giants? If he's as good as Brady and Rodgers, he'd be that good with anyone. I don't think he's THAT good, but I do think he's a pro bowl QB

Despite what you may think, situation has a LOT to do with a players' development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The411 said:

I loathe this QB class. Rosen is the most talented but there’s something off about him whether it’s his injuries or something else (mental state).

Sure Darnold makes some great plays but he at times looks absolutely clueless. His mechanics at times this year have been diabolical.

The Mayfield hype to me is mind boggling to me. He’s basically what would happen to Colt McCoy if he were hopped up Vodka and Redbull. Great college player but I’m not seeing how his game will translate to the NFL.

Love Lamar Jackson’s game but again I’m back to the problem of running athletic QBs and their lifespan and not convinced by his pocket game.

Josh Allen is the typical NFL coach vanity project where coaches believe they can teach QB accuracy and touch because a QB has great physical QB genetics.

Pretty spot on. One difference is I actually really like Rosen, but the rest of it? Definitely not impressed by it in the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2017 at 12:33 AM, The411 said:

The Mayfield hype to me is mind boggling to me. He’s basically what would happen to Colt McCoy if he were hopped up Vodka and Redbull. Great college player but I’m not seeing how his game will translate to the NFL.

Colt McCoy is a pretty good NFL back up QB. Baker's defintely got a stronger arm the McCoy. McCoy with a stronger arm would look an awful lot like Russell Wilson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×