The Book on John DeFilippo

WindyCity

48 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I just can't get behind a guy who was a one and done OC who isn't currently a QB coach getting one of the biggest jobs in football...I have no idea how people can love this guy but disregard Reich.

Well... we start with having our facts straight: He is currently a QB coach... Carson Wentz raves about him.

His one and done OC year was with Mike Pettine, he was let go when Pettine was fired, yet he managed to get 4,156 yards passing and 1529 yards rushing out of:

Josh McCown

Johnny Manziel

Austin Davis

Isaiah Crowell

Duke Johnson

Travis Benjamin

Gary Barnidge

Brian Hartline

Taylor Gabriel

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I just can't get behind a guy who was a one and done OC who isn't currently a QB coach getting one of the biggest jobs in football...I have no idea how people can love this guy but disregard Reich.

LaFleur is a one year OC who has never called plays.

Nagy is a 2 year OC who has called 2.5 games of plays.

Compared to a number of option DeFilippo has a wealth of play calling experience.

For me, it's not even the play-calling that matters. It's how many NFL players and other coaches that have worked with Flip that have vehemently stated that he's going to be a future head coach. It's how much Carson Wentz raves about him and talks about how much he would hate to lose him. It's how this guy knows how to connect with players and knows which ones need to be coddled and which ones need to be kicked in the rear-end. Those are head coaching traits. The big question would be who he would bring in as a defensive coordinator and who will be his OC and QB coach.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Well... we start with having our facts straight: He is currently a QB coach... Carson Wentz raves about him.

His one and done OC year was with Mike Pettine, he was let go when Pettine was fired, yet he managed to get 4,156 yards passing and 1529 yards rushing out of:

Josh McCown

Johnny Manziel

Austin Davis

Isaiah Crowell

Duke Johnson

Travis Benjamin

Gary Barnidge

Brian Hartline

Taylor Gabriel

It's honestly not that impressive...

Clearly it was a typo regarding his current role but what do you think Wentz is going to say? I just think too much credit is being given to him and too little to Reich.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

LaFleur is a one year OC who has never called plays.

Nagy is a 2 year OC who has called 2.5 games of plays.

Compared to a number of option DeFilippo has a wealth of play calling experience.

My point is he is getting all this credit for Wentz and none knows how much he is actually the guy getting it out of him...from HC to OC to QB coach that team has 3 outstanding QB coaches.

The thing I did enjoy finding out about DeFilippo as I researched him was that he always said his offense would be based around what his players do well. He said he doesn't believe in saying "this is my system, you're going to be forced into my system", he said he finds what his players do well, builds an offense around that, and then has those players do it over and over and over again so they can master that trait. He said his favorite type of player/athlete is one that can do multiple things (think Tarik Cohen).

It just makes too much sense to me on paper... I wish I could be a fly on the wall for if/when Pace interviews him. He also comes from a West Coast Offense background, he incorporated a lot of Shanahan's offense when he took over for him as OC in 2015 so he will be well versed in what Trubisky has been running here with Loggains. It's just perfect in my world... my only concern is that he wants to bring Greg Knapp in here as OC.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

My point is he is getting all this credit for Wentz and none knows how much he is actually the guy getting it out of him...from HC to OC to QB coach that team has 3 outstanding QB coaches.

I mean... have you honestly even bothered to read anything about the guy? He's the dude that's with Carson Wentz every.single.freaking.day.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's honestly not that impressive...

Clearly it was a typo regarding his current role but what do you think Wentz is going to say? I just think too much credit is being given to him and too little to Reich.

Nope, it's not... but it's Cleveland. 2015 was the first time they had accomplished that in 29 years.

51 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

To be fair how can you say this about DeFilippo but then give credit to Matt LaFleur for being the guy to get good QB play out of guys like Goff, Ryan, Cousins, etc.? Double standard.

IMO these two guys are both very unproven and you are taking a big risk on both.  You either love them or hate them.

Archived