The Book on John DeFilippo

WindyCity

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

To be fair how can you say this about DeFilippo but then give credit to Matt LaFleur for being the guy to get good QB play out of guys like Goff, Ryan, Cousins, etc.? Double standard.

IMO these two guys are both very unproven and you are taking a big risk on both.  You either love them or hate them.

I have never said those QBs are all down to LaFleur tho...I don't think they are and I think it is a massive over simplification to say just because a QB is doing with that it's down to the QB coach alone especially when the OC and HC are both QB focused as well...all I would say is more QBs have been better under teams LaFleur has coached on than any of the other candidates.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I have never said those QBs are all down to LaFleur tho...I don't think they are and I think it is a massive over simplification to say just because a QB is doing with that it's down to the QB coach alone especially when the OC and HC are both QB focused as well...all I would say is more QBs have been better under teams LaFleur has coached on than any of the other candidates.

But in 75% of those stops he has been working under a great coach in Shannahan and McVay.

Why didn't Atlanta promote him to OC when Shannahan left?

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

My point is he is getting all this credit for Wentz and none knows how much he is actually the guy getting it out of him...from HC to OC to QB coach that team has 3 outstanding QB coaches.

The problem is that everything you can say about DeFilippo also applies to LaFleur.

How much of it is him and how much of it is McVay or Shannahan?

The Rams have a similar set up to the Eagles with a ton of successful and experienced guys around Goff.

For what it is worth, JD did a piece on him and he talked to people around Philly who heaped praise on DeFilippo and said that they were more worried about losing him than Reich because of his relationship with Wentz.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But in 75% of those stops he has been working under a great coach in Shannahan and McVay.

Why didn't Atlanta promote him to OC when Shannahan left?

Again I never said he hasn't worked with good coaches...all I am saying is the love for DeFillippo is getting out of hand considering how much no one seems to rate a guy like Reich...

And from my understanding LaFleur decided to leave Atlanta not that he was pushed.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The problem is that everything you can say about DeFilippo also applies to LaFleur.

How much of it is him and how much of it is McVay or Shannahan?

The Rams have a similar set up to the Eagles with a ton of successful and experienced guys around Goff.

For what it is worth, JD did a piece on him and he talked to people around Philly who heaped praise on DeFilippo and said that they were more worried about losing him than Reich because of his relationship with Wentz.

Again when did I or anyone else say LaFleur was soley responsibile for the Rams success? The fact he has worked with great coaches is nothing but a positive when it comes to building a staff...

And a "realationship" with a guy is one thing but that doesn't mean you can be an NFL HC.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Again I never said he hasn't worked with good coaches...all I am saying is the love for DeFillippo is getting out of hand considering how much no one seems to rate a guy like Reich...

And from my understanding LaFleur decided to leave Atlanta not that he was pushed.

He was under contract with Atlanta and they let him leave.

One of their chief beat reporters said it was because they were not thrilled with the job he did.

It sounds weird when your QB wins the MVP.

In a world of non-slam dunk coaching candidates I think Flip is an interesting one.

Nagy still probably tops my list.

An interesting name for OC or QB coach is Tom Clements. He didn't coach this year as the Packers didn't renew his contract. But a longtime QB, successfully QB coach and someone who helped Aaron's rodgers develop.

I re-read the book on Nagy and the Flip book.  I am leaning towards Nagy.  The WRs needed to successfully run this scheme are easier to get and cheaper to retain than the big tall prototypes WRs required in the Flip system.  In addition the FA pool of WRs lines up better with the Nagy system (Richardson, brown, Gabriel) as well as the draft Ridley would thrive in a Nagy system.  I also think Trubisky being a more athletic and better arm talent version of Alex Smith is a good comparison and would fit the Nagy system better.  Next, numbers don't lie.  Flip gets his QBs hit and hit a lot.  Great season by the eagles but its really is a mute point because they got their QB hurt.  Finally our running back would thrive and Cohen in a Hill role could be Devin Hester level ridiculous        

@WindyCity side note: the tax bill would not eliminate the estate tax entirely it raising the threshold from 5 million for individual to 10 and married from 10 to 20 million.  The McCaskey estates would still get taxed heavily.  So there is still hope that the passing of Virginia will force the McCaskey's to sell the team.  FYI    

Archived