#4 Georgia Bulldogs Thread 1-0 | Auburn next up

coors

I've been hearing that there is a lot of support for Coley to be the full-time coordinator.  I'm not a fan of this kind of offense from a team who should be able to recruit skill players and should be able to pass the ball.  I think we've kept the training wheels on Jake Fromm long enough, and it's time to take them off and let him win games on his own.  

Ansley sounds like an interesting name.  He knows the system obviously and has the trust factor with Smart.  

I'm trying to follow more of the recruiting and other things this year despite being pretty far away from the team.  I've usually only followed Navy that closely for college, but I figure with two of my pro teams rebuilding I will follow Georgia much more closely than I have.  

22 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I've been hearing that there is a lot of support for Coley to be the full-time coordinator.  I'm not a fan of this kind of offense from a team who should be able to recruit skill players and should be able to pass the ball.  I think we've kept the training wheels on Jake Fromm long enough, and it's time to take them off and let him win games on his own.  

Ansley sounds like an interesting name.  He knows the system obviously and has the trust factor with Smart.  

I'm trying to follow more of the recruiting and other things this year despite being pretty far away from the team.  I've usually only followed Navy that closely for college, but I figure with two of my pro teams rebuilding I will follow Georgia much more closely than I have.  

Doesnt matter who the coordinator is, they will run what Kirby wants, and he wants what he has now, a power running team. Now, some more wrinkles might be brought in depending on the coordinator, but make no mistake, we arent even going to move away from what we are. Thats why keeping Pittman was the most important thing. He developed Wynn into a first round pick, will probably send two more first round picks to the league next year(Thomas/Wilson), and probably at least one more after that(Mays). We are going to use these big boys to maul people down the field.

Honestly, Im surprised Ansley hasnt been named the DC yet, unless Kirby is hoping that someone like Tosh will make the lateral move. The only other name Ive heard is LSU DB coach Corey Raymond, but LSU is his home, and it would take a lot to get him to leave.

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

Look for either Coley to be moved to full time coordinator, or look for Eddie Gran from Kentucky to get the job. His philosophy is pretty much what Kirby wants(smashmouth, running the football).

Eddie Gran has quite the reputation. xD

43 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Per CBS Sports, an offer has been made by Georgia to Eddie Gran to join the coaching staff as offensive coordinator.  Definitely an upgrade over Chaney, and we get a guy who is a great recruiter in Florida.  

Eddie "The Bagman" Gran

Certainly not going to help with the perception out there. ;)

21 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Judging from that tweet, it looks like Gran is sticking with the Wildcats.  Rumor is that he was offered $1.1 million per year salary and total control of the offense.  

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-uga-kentucky-kirby-smart-eddie-gran

Looks like he was offered TEs coach with potentially co-offensive coordinator. Either way Coley has been named the head offensive coordinator. 

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-uga-kentucky-kirby-smart-eddie-gran

Looks like he was offered TEs coach with potentially co-offensive coordinator. Either way Coley has been named the head offensive coordinator. 

Not a fan of the co-offensive coordinator stuff.  You could lose out on quality people either way with that, especially if you have someone already on staff.  I'm fine with Coley, I just hope he adds a few new wrinkles to the offensive gameplan, and not just the wild cat.  Some innovative formations and passing strategies would be a huge benefit. 

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Not a fan of the co-offensive coordinator stuff.  You could lose out on quality people either way with that, especially if you have someone already on staff.  I'm fine with Coley, I just hope he adds a few new wrinkles to the offensive gameplan, and not just the wild cat.  Some innovative formations and passing strategies would be a huge benefit. 

My understanding is the thought process is Kirby adds the co- title so he can get the best possible people. Ie they aren't taking demotions to come to UGA like Gran would have technically been had he only been TEs coach. That's how we kept Coley last year instead of him being the OC at A&M right now.

Edited by Ftn49
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

My understanding is the thought process is Kirby adds the co- title so he can get the best possible people. Ie they aren't taking demotions to come to UGA like Gran would have technically been had he only been TEs coach. That's how we kept Coley last year instead of him being the OC at A&M right now.

Yes, lots of titles getting thrown around.  It used to be assistant head coach, not it's associate.  You've got run and passing game coordinators, co-coordinators and the list goes on.  I'm sure Coley will have a co-coordinator in due time.  In a sense, it can be good fallback for situations like this, where your OC was hired away- the replacement is waiting in the wings.  So there is a practicality to it as well as being able to hire the best people possible.  When it comes down to it, I want one guy in charge and calling all of the plays, nothing shared or anything like that.  Other than that, co-coordinate away. 

Edited by naptownskinsfan

Some coaching rumblings......

Former UGA graduate assistant and analyst Todd Hartley has had contact with the team about the open job of TE coach, a job he's done for the past three years in Miami under Richt. 

LSU's cornerbacks coach and top recruiter Corey Raymond is in Athens this weekend.  The secondary coach spot is open, as well as DC.  

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Some coaching rumblings......

Former UGA graduate assistant and analyst Todd Hartley has had contact with the team about the open job of TE coach, a job he's done for the past three years in Miami under Richt. 

LSU's cornerbacks coach and top recruiter Corey Raymond is in Athens this weekend.  The secondary coach spot is open, as well as DC.  

Look for Raymond to be named Co-DC with Dan Lanning.

Tray Scott(DL), Dan Lanning(OLB), Glenn Schumann(OLB), Corey Raymond(DB).

Kirby is keeping the best coaches here in Athens. Raymond is the best DB coach in America, and he is probably the best DB recruiter for that position as well. I think Schumann is a better coach than Lanning, but both are young, future HC, and can recruit their ***** off.

Offensively, nothing is really going to change other than we are about to sign a great recruiter for the open TE job that Chaney left. Names are coming. Just rumors now.

The team has about three spots open for the fall. Expect two to be top 150ish guys, and one TE since Ford left unexpectedly.

• Like 1

Former graduate assistant Todd Hartley was hired as TE coach.  He's spent the past three seasons coaching the same position for Richt at Miami, and is regarded as an up-and-coming recruiter for Florida.  Of all the rumored coaches, Smart's been looking to expand recruiting in Florida, so this accomplishes that goal.