#4 Georgia Bulldogs Thread 1-0 | Auburn next up

coors

4-0 heading into back-to-back home games against Tennessee and Vanderbilt, which should be easy.  I am most concerned with playing LSU on the road, but at least we have the bye after that because we are going to need it.  After LSU, we have our toughest part of the schedule- Florida, Kentucky and Auburn.  Kentucky really impressed me with how they played Mississippi State, and they are an underdog with a chance this year.  Our chance to finish as SEC East champs depends on those four games.  

Offensively, I want to continue to see the emergence of Riley Ridley.  Mecole Hardman is still the #1, but Ridley is a great complement to him.  I would also like to see a true signature game from Jake Fromm as well.  

Defensively, I need to see more out of the pass-rush.  Through four games, and we only have four sacks?  The secondary has played extremely well to make up for it, but we have to find ways to pressure and get to the opposing QB. 

• 3 months later...

We get embarrassed at the Sugar Bowl by Texas by not showing up ready to play, and by all accounts, they barely practiced and had to pull veteran players aside and basically threaten to sit them.  Now, the offense is going to get a completely new look: 

QB Josh Fields- transferring to Ohio State

RB Elijah Holyfield- NFL Draft 

WR Riley Ridley- NFL Draft

WR Mecole Hardman- NFL Draft

TE Isaac Nauta- NFL Draft

TE Luke Ford- transferring to Illinois 

Losing Holyfield is a blow, but Zamir White took a medical redshirt with a torn ACL and is a former five star recruit and will likely take most of his snaps next year.  Replacing our top three pass-catchers, including Hardman as a returner, is going to be a tough task. 

I'm most concerned about how off Fromm looked in the Sugar Bowl, and that he has yet to step up and have a true statement game for himself.  I realize that both games against Alabama should've been won if not for the backup QB magic that Saban pulled off, but with two five-star QBs transferring out because of Fromm, Smart and Chaney better have made the right call. 

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We get embarrassed at the Sugar Bowl by Texas by not showing up ready to play, and by all accounts, they barely practiced and had to pull veteran players aside and basically threaten to sit them.  Now, the offense is going to get a completely new look: 

Losing Holyfield is a blow, but Zamir White took a medical redshirt with a torn ACL and is a former five star recruit and will likely take most of his snaps next year.  Replacing our top three pass-catchers, including Hardman as a returner, is going to be a tough task. 

I'm most concerned about how off Fromm looked in the Sugar Bowl, and that he has yet to step up and have a true statement game for himself.  I realize that both games against Alabama should've been won if not for the backup QB magic that Saban pulled off, but with two five-star QBs transferring out because of Fromm, Smart and Chaney better have made the right call. 

Yeah yesterday was pretty awful for Georgia, especially considering the guys who went out for the draft probably should not have, maybe Holyfield but that is about it.  The rest still have work to do I feel as prospects.  It all could have been different possibly Baker played in that bowl game potentially and they had a different outcome, not to mention Walker was out of the game, Jordan Davis as well so it was not really representing the football team they had.  Instead it seems even the so so NFL prospects are like ok I am out of here, surprised JR Reed did not declare yet as a RS JR.  As for Fields just looking at him on the sidelines, yeah he was totally gone mentally, not to mention the fact they would not even put him in even with Fromm struggling.  

They were not Kirby's guys though, and clearly he can recruit, will see what they do next year with a very strong OL and Swift back in possibly more motivated than ever before.

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah yesterday was pretty awful for Georgia, especially considering the guys who went out for the draft probably should not have, maybe Holyfield but that is about it.  The rest still have work to do I feel as prospects.  It all could have been different possibly Baker played in that bowl game potentially and they had a different outcome, not to mention Walker was out of the game, Jordan Davis as well so it was not really representing the football team they had.  Instead it seems even the so so NFL prospects are like ok I am out of here, surprised JR Reed did not declare yet as a RS JR.  As for Fields just looking at him on the sidelines, yeah he was totally gone mentally, not to mention the fact they would not even put him in even with Fromm struggling.  

They were not Kirby's guys though, and clearly he can recruit, will see what they do next year with a very strong OL and Swift back in possibly more motivated than ever before.

Yes, I do agree, but if Ridley and Hardman got third round grades, it makes some sense for them to come out now.  The potential for them to work their way up for more money may not be enough for the guaranteed amount.  I also get Baker not playing in the game, as he is a senior, but LSU was missing way more players than we did and still pulled out a victory against UCF.  Our effort going into the game was not good, and that can linger on a program- it did for Richt here near the end, thats for sure.  

I think they should've put Fields in, but everything must've been clear for them and they didn't want to start a controversy.  

On 1/4/2019 at 11:00 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

I'd say Fromm has had a couple of statement games. The game against vandy he was on fire, also the SECCG this year. He was phenomenal in that game. I think Kirby just believes in an overall conservative philosophy on offense and thats why more than anything alot of people don't view Fromm as an elite talent. I'm hoping Cook kind of takes on the Hardman role next year. Nauta was underutilized so bad in our offense. He's going to be a stud for some team in the NFL. 

On 1/5/2019 at 6:46 AM, Ozzy said:

Not sure what you mean here... they were all Kirby guys.

7 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

Not sure what you mean here... they were all Kirby guys.

Deandre Baker came in 2015, so did Walker, Kirby started in 2016.  But yes in terms of Jordan Davis, Holyfield, Nauta and Ridley they were recruited by Kirby.   So yeah I guess some were recruited and brought in by Kirby unless they were committed to the previous coach that 2016 season which is also possible.   

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Deandre Baker came in 2015, so did Walker, Kirby started in 2016.  But yes in terms of Jordan Davis, Holyfield, Nauta and Ridley they were recruited by Kirby.   So yeah I guess some were recruited and brought in by Kirby unless they were committed to the previous coach that 2016 season which is also possible.   

No worries, yep the seniors were still the energy vampires recruits.

Jim Chaney headed to Tennessee as their new offensive coordinator.  According to the AJC, we matched their first offer but declined to match the second.  Also in play could be offensive line coach Sam Pittman jumping to Tennessee, one of the best line coaches and recruiters in the country.  

Not only do we have to replace Chaney, but we still need to hire a defensive coordinator and may need to hire a replacement for Pittman.  A lot of coaching staff moves have to be made......2019 is going to be a critical year in Smart's program, so I hope he gets these coaching moves right. 

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Jim Chaney headed to Tennessee as their new offensive coordinator.  According to the AJC, we matched their first offer but declined to match the second.  Also in play could be offensive line coach Sam Pittman jumping to Tennessee, one of the best line coaches and recruiters in the country.  

Not only do we have to replace Chaney, but we still need to hire a defensive coordinator and may need to hire a replacement for Pittman.  A lot of coaching staff moves have to be made......2019 is going to be a critical year in Smart's program, so I hope he gets these coaching moves right. 

Losing Pittman would be a massive blow.

Redshirt sophomore and former 4 star recruit, safety Tray Bishop has entered the transfer portal after not having played for two seasons.  He was the guy who filmed a female student performing a sexual act without his permission and was fighting a legal battle, so whoever wants that trouble can take him. 

Defensive back Deangelo Gibbs, who did not play against GT, Alabama or Texas, is not enrolled and has until January 15th to come back to classes or he will be off the team.  Will be tough to lose an experienced defensive back.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, I'm hoping that doesn't come to pass.  I'm thinking some sort of promotion, like sharing OC duties with James Coley or being named Associate Head Coach or something along those lines could keep Pittman in town. 

He got a raise to $1.5 million per year. 

Pittman is staying. He was the guy that Georgia wasnt willing to lose, unlike Chaney. Pittman, Coley, and McGee are the guys that Kirby would do anything not to lose.

This is basically what happened with Chaney.....Chaney was pissed last preseason when Coley was given a raise, and given the QB positional job, moving Chaney to TEs, and Chaney getting a marginal raise and no added years on his contract. Supposedly, Chaney and Coley were at odds at times during the season. Kirby wanted to keep Chaney, but he was kind of upset with the way Chaney had been handling players, and the multiple losses from graduation and transfers was telling. Georgia was willing to match the first offer than Tennessee sent out, but 1.6 mil+ was too much, and with what transpired over the past year, Kirby was more than willing to let go of Chaney.

Pittman has been given the title of associate head coach, and can do whatever he wants pretty much. He is the key to the Georgia offense.

Look for either Coley to be moved to full time coordinator, or look for Eddie Gran from Kentucky to get the job. His philosophy is pretty much what Kirby wants(smashmouth, running the football).

The one name for the DC job that has been popping up since Tucker decided to leave is current Oakland Raiders defensive backs coach Derrick Ansley. He was the DB coach at Alabama before moving to Oakland.....Another name that Ive heard, but its pretty much speculation, is Tosh Lupoi. Some people are saying that the report that came out documenting the problems at Bama this year has some merit, and Tosh could be looking elsewhere. I dont really believe it, but its a name.

Gibbs and Bishop being gone are not losses at all. Bishop was never going to play football at Georgia again after the allegations, and Gibbs has been on the outs since before last spring, when it wasnt even known if he was going to qualify to be on the team. One of the biggest busts Georgia has seen in a long time. He liked to party and partake in other things way more than he wanted to play football. Georgia was going to have to make room by one or two for the incoming recruits anyway.

• Like 2