Braves trade Matt Kemp to Dodgers for Adrian Gonzalez, Brandon McCarthy, others

playmaker8267

Wow. Dodgers get an old friend back but sacrifice some depth in the process.

Kazmir and Gonzalez head back to the NL East. Postseason revelation Culberson goes to Atlanta. Everyone except Culberson is a free agent after this year, clearing money off the books for the Braves. Kemp has 2 years, $43M left on his deal. Gonzalez will make $21.5M, Kazmir $16M, and McCarthy $10M. Not sure how much relief the Braves are getting from LA financially.

I absolutely love it. I would think Gonzalez is a candidate to be released since he has no place to play in Atlanta, and we will probably be keeping only 4 on the bench, so we will need people that can play multiple positions.

Culberson is that type of guy we need on the bench. Can play multiple positions.

Kazmir probably wont play

McCarty will be that vet starter that we will need for maybe 3 months, which is probably all he is good for before getting injured.

6 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

When did Culberson get a $43 million contract?

I think you misread me or I worded that badly. Braves get Culbertson and 3 one year contracts totallying 47.5 million. Dodgers get a 2 year $43 million contract. Culberson has 4 years of control.

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

They will have to shell out more for Kershaw, and Kemp's salary will be on the books for LT purposes next year as well, but this is concerning to the still inevitable Harper to the Cubs transaction.  The Dodgers can't simply be ignored in the Harper sweepstakes now.

29 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

They will have to shell out more for Kershaw, and Kemp's salary will be on the books for LT purposes next year as well, but this is concerning to the still inevitable Harper to the Cubs transaction.  The Dodgers can't simply be ignored in the Harper sweepstakes now.

Yeah another $16 million comes off the books next year with Ryu and Forsythe plus $15 more in retained salaries. 2018 is looking to be an interesting hot stove.

Archived