Antonio Callaway is the best player in this draft nobody is talking about

VanS

So it looks like Antonio Callaway will be part of the 2018 draft:  https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Florida-Gators-Football-Report-Antonio-Callaway-signs-with-agent-to-enter-NFL-Draft-111914232

And yet I'm hearing no talk about him.  This is a player that has fascinated me since I first saw him as a true freshmen in 2015 for the Florida Gators.  Everything about his game is smooth.  Most of the time it doesn't even look like he's trying that hard and yet nobody can cover him.  I got a very similar feeling when I watched Alvin Kamara before the draft last year.  Whether its his route running, hands, or speed, everything about Antonio Callaway looks in control and smooth.

I've compared him in the past to Sterling Sharpe (a guy who was headed to the Hall of Fame before a neck injury ended his career).  And I still believe that is his best NFL comparison.  But I think Antonio Brown is also another comp for Callaway that works.  IMO this is the best wide receiver in the 2018 draft BY A WIDE MARGIN.  And you could make an argument that he's the second best player available after Saquon Barkley.  I know he has off-field issues, but on the field, Antonio Callaway is about as good as it gets.  He is an All-Pro/Hall of Fame caliber talent. 

31 minutes ago, Down to Earth said:

Realistically how far does he drop due to his off the field issues?

Probably drops to day 2 with no more incidents in the lead up to the draft.

I can't see him dropping out of the first 3 rounds.  He's too talented to drop further. 

5 hours ago, VanS said:

This is a player that has fascinated me since I first saw him.  Everything about his game is smooth.  Most of the time it doesn't even look like he's trying that hard and yet nobody can cover him.  Whether its his route running, hands, or speed, everything about Antonio Callaway looks in control and smooth.

Agreed. Very rare player. Unfortunately there wasn't someone within his family to save him. He keeps surrounding himself with bad people and is stuck in that cycle. I'm glad he declared. Hopefully he can find a mentor and get himself turned around. Most importantly get himself the hell out of the state of Florida. 

Miami, Florida native. Four-star recruit according to ESPN. Major is unknown but stated interest in Business. Started 13 of 14 games as a freshman. Started 11 of 12 games played as a sophomore. Missed final 7 games in high school due to a torn meniscus. Oldest of 5 siblings and raised by a single mother. Cousin is Cardinals WR John Brown. In December of 2015 was accused of sexual assault and suspended but continued taking classes. In the spring was cleared of the charge but admitted he was stoned during the encounter. In the spring of 2017 he was pulled over for not wearing a seat belt and was caught with 7 grams of marijuana after the officer smelled marijuana in the vehicle. The 40 year old man with Callaway in the vehicle had a rap sheet of over 23 charges including child molestation and drug trafficking. Suspended for the first week of the 2017 season due to a mishandling of school funds which was a scheme that involved multiple players. Declared for the 2018 NFL Draft with remaining eligibility.

My background report on Callaway as of now. 

There's a difference between being a dumb kid and being a POS. The difference between Josh Gordon/Tyrann Mathieu and Antonio Callaway. I haven't watched his tape yet, but this dude seems like someone that won't ever get it because he doesn't care enough to. He seems 'bout dat lyfe instead of being about football. Throwing money at this lunatic isn't going to go well.

46 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Miami, Florida native. Four-star recruit according to ESPN. Major is unknown but stated interest in Business. Started 13 of 14 games as a freshman. Started 11 of 12 games played as a sophomore. Missed final 7 games in high school due to a torn meniscus. Oldest of 5 siblings and raised by a single mother. Cousin is Cardinals WR John Brown. In December of 2015 was accused of sexual assault and suspended but continued taking classes. In the spring was cleared of the charge but admitted he was stoned during the encounter. In the spring of 2017 he was pulled over for not wearing a seat belt and was caught with 7 grams of marijuana after the officer smelled marijuana in the vehicle. The 40 year old man with Callaway in the vehicle had a rap sheet of over 23 charges including child molestation and drug trafficking. Suspended for the first week of the 2017 season due to a mishandling of school funds which was a scheme that involved multiple players. Declared for the 2018 NFL Draft with remaining eligibility.

My background report on Callaway as of now. 

Good info, but the suspension was for more than mishandling of school funds. It was credit card fraud. 

Callaway is incredibly talented, but he constantly finds himself in trouble. 

If you want to take a chance on perhaps the next Josh Gordon, go for it. This guy is so immature, pro teams have multiple red flags beside his name, so he will be extremely lucky to go as high as round 2, by some idiot GM. Most teams will not even have this prospect on their boards, knowing full well, they could easily lose him by suspension for a year or 2.

Like Gordon, he is a huge waste of talent, but unfortunately, he just does not learn from his mistakes. Fans will always dream of what he might have accomplished, but that is where it ends.

Just now, CalhounLambeau said:

I haven't dug into the issue yet. Will have to now that he's declaring. 

Yea, it ended up being a lot worse than what the initial reports were saying. As a Gator fan, it was unfortunate, but that kid got a full three outs and still managed to rack up nine strikes. I hope for his sake that he gets his act together, but it would be tough for me to draft him on Day 2 despite my belief in his talent.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

There's a difference between being a dumb kid and being a POS. The difference between Josh Gordon/Tyrann Mathieu and Antonio Callaway. I haven't watched his tape yet, but this dude seems like someone that won't ever get it because he doesn't care enough to. He seems 'bout dat lyfe instead of being about football. Throwing money at this lunatic isn't going to go well.

Disagree.  I actually think Antonio Callaway is a good kid who has some bad influences around him.  His only sin that I've seen thus far is he has a problem with marijuana (which isn't unusual since many NFL players have a similar problem).  Hopefully he isn't on the Josh Gordon level of dependability where he's willing to throw everything away repeatedly for weed. 

Callaway is a just kid from a tough background who hangs out with less than stellar guys.  There is nothing about him that is malicious.  If he can get away from his "friends" and find some good mentors he can be a success story like Tyrann Matheiu.

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Disagree.  I actually think Antonio Callaway is a good kid who has some bad influences around him.  His only sin that I've seen thus far is he has a problem with marijuana (which isn't unusual since many NFL players have a similar problem).  Hopefully he isn't on the Josh Gordon level of dependability where he's willing to throw everything away repeatedly for weed. 

Callaway is a just kid from a tough background who hangs out with less than stellar guys.  There is nothing about him that is malicious.  If he can get away from his "friends" and find some good mentors he can be a success story like Tyrann Matheiu.

You have to take responsibility for your actions and cannot always use the excuse that he hangs out with bad people. You also seem to forget the fraud charges and the stealing of money.  How many times does a guy have to show his spots before everyone realizes, he is what he is, a bad kid who is not likely to change anytime soon!!!

Archived