Antonio Callaway is the best player in this draft nobody is talking about

VanS

2 hours ago, VanS said:

And?  Social status symbols are just as important to some people. 

All I'm saying is I don't think stealing is an evil crime.  Its a bad thing we're not supposed to do.  And if found guilty one should be punished.

But I'm not gonna define someone who stole something as an inherently bad person.  It just means you made a mistake.

While fraud isn't the most evil crime of all, it shows a lack of character. It's a crime of dishonesty. This is also a kid who was accused of rape, has failed multiple drug tests, and was cited for marijuana possession. Trouble finds the kid. At what point does a mistake stop being a mistake and start being a character flaw?

Kid has no brain whatsoever - constant headache for UF and likely will be a constant headache for an NFL team. I also think McElwain handled all of this the wrong way and probably could have stopped the majority of the issues before they started but he elected to turn his eye the other way. I hope it works out for the kid, he was a big find for UF, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't. 

In relation to the marijuana charge

Oh, but Callaway didn’t get suspended for that. It didn’t seem to matter that Callaway was traveling with a 40-year-old criminal who had been arrested for battery, cocaine possession, drug trafficking, grand theft, and lewd and lascivious behavior with a child 12 to 16 years of age.

In relation to the sexual assault allegations 

“I was so stoned, I had no interested in having sex with anyone,” Callaway stated according to the hearing report.

Stealing doesn't make you an inherently bad person but compound that with his other issues and he really does smell like a bad apple. I am always very open to drafting players with substance abuse issues, because I think that absolutely is something that doesn't indicate a bad person. But Callaway is a sort of 'where there is smoke, there is fire' type. Its pretty troubling.

This idea that because he grew up poor he should be cut slack is a perpetuation of low expectations. Plenty of people grow up poor and end up tremendous, ethical people. Look at Saquan Barkley. He was living in a car for some times and his dad was addicted to crack, and he turned out to be a man that any reasonable father would love to see his daughter date.

I don't think he is Shawn Oakman but he needs to be held accountable. Definitely draftable but very worrisome.

You would think the first few times he got in trouble, he'd learn his lesson, but this isn't the case. There's a demonstrated pattern of behavior that will outweigh his talents. You have to wonder how much maturing he's going to do when he's got a high six figure salary. Some guys mature, some don't. 

I'm actually very high on him as a football player, and I think he's a Tyreek Hill story waiting to happen - he's going to get drafted on the 3rd day and completely out play his draft slot. If he doesn't have veteran leadership in that locker room he joins, he'll be a flash in the pan. If he does, he'll be an elite player at the next level.

EDIT - It probably behooves him to get out of Florida as well. Can't see his career doing well if he's drafted by the Dolphins, Bucs or Jags. Nothing to do with those respective teams, just moreso to do with him leaving his bad influences behind him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2017 at 11:11 PM, BleedTheClock said:

There's a difference between being a dumb kid and being a POS. The difference between Josh Gordon/Tyrann Mathieu and Antonio Callaway. I haven't watched his tape yet, but this dude seems like someone that won't ever get it because he doesn't care enough to. He seems 'bout dat lyfe instead of being about football. Throwing money at this lunatic isn't going to go well.

I feel like these 2 shouldn't be lumped together on the other side of Callaway. Not like Gordon made a dumb move or 2 as a kid bc he is a kid. He got drafted and continued to be a moron

On 12/18/2017 at 6:33 AM, VanS said:

The similarities between the two are startling.  Sterling Sharpe was before my time so my first exposure to him was this highlight tape.  It didn't take but a few clips for me to say holy crap Antonio Callaway is identical to this guy.  Then I looked up Sterling's accomplishments and was like WOAH this guy was amazing, why haven't I heard of him more

Sterling Sharpe might be the most underrated WR in NFL history.

"My big brother, Sterling, I’m the only player of 267 men that’s walked through this building to my left that can honestly say this: I’m the only pro football player that’s in the Hall of Fame, and the second best player in my own family." - Shannon Sharpe HOF Induction Speech

On 12/18/2017 at 10:52 AM, BroncosFan2010 said:

I don't think he is Shawn Oakman but he needs to be held accountable. Definitely draftable but very worrisome.

Don't want to derail the thread.. but this made me curious and I googled him. I just recently found out about my local Arena Football team and Oakman is playing for them... getting my season tickets asap to watch some people get destroyed this season.

Don't want to derail the thread.. but this made me curious and I googled him. I just recently found out about my local Arena Football team and Oakman is playing for them... getting my season tickets asap to watch some people get destroyed this season.

Bro he is a full blown rapist. You should be getting season tickets so you can go berate him.

Archived