SNF GDT Cowboys @ Raiders

BayRaider

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I don't fault him for going for the win. 

Just saying Carr thought he was Cam in terms of size. Newton regularly stretches out and converts plays like those with ease. For a 6'2 QB with smaller hands, it's a bit more difficult.

Nah, MJ.

1470094962320.jpg

Real talk, I'm p sure that was the Mamba he was channeling.  He's a big fan and that was a total Kobe play.  Wish he went out though.

8 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I don't fault him for going for the win. 

Just saying Carr thought he was Cam in terms of size. Newton regularly stretches out and converts plays like those with ease. For a 6'2 QB with smaller hands, it's a bit more difficult.

I absolutely fault him going for the win. Because a heady QB realizes we have the 1st down and 3 shots at the end zone, and all the time in the world to run those plays. He needs to get off the "try to win the game every play" crap and start playing with an understanding of game awareness and the chess match that football can be. Fumble "going for the win" and lose, or take the first and very likely the win?

I was actually surprised this morning at the lack of criticism out there in media land over the choice of not taking the first down. He just gets a pass on that I guess. Let's understand this correctly though. He paid no heed to the fact that it was 3rd and 3, not 3rd and goal. 

1 minute ago, holyghost said:

I absolutely fault him going for the win. Because a heady QB realizes we have the 1st down and 3 shots at the end zone, and all the time in the world to run those plays. He needs to get off the "try to win the game every play" crap and start playing with an understanding of game awareness and the chess match that football can be. Fumble "going for the win" and lose, or take the first and very likely the win?

I was actually surprised this morning at the lack of criticism out there in media land over the choice of not taking the first down. He just gets a pass on that I guess. Let's understand this correctly though. He paid no heed to the fact that it was 3rd and 3, not 3rd and goal. 

Just like Big Ben not throwing it away. It happens in the heat of the moment 

25 minutes ago, holyghost said:

What a hot take.... So easy to say as a fan watching the game. In a game situation, you think you can score, you go for it. Ball doesn't slip out, he's a hero. Those are the breaks sometime. Can't fault a competitor for competing. He beat his man to the pile on. 

Media is not going to criticize him trying to score either. That's what you should do. He goes out of bounds, and they end up not scoring, miss a FG, etc. guess what? Everyone is asking why didn't he dive for the score?!?

You want to fault someone, how about Jared Cook who didn't throw a block there on Heath that would have let him walk in (even that is reaching).

I've been pretty hard on Carr with his decision making, playing safe and rushing things but honestly he made the right call. If the ball doesn't fall out of his hands the Raiders win and everyone is talking about running the table. He was bad early in the game, which has been a thing most of the season, but he had a shot of redemption and he took it. It didn't go their way bt it was a positive sign that he's not playing afraid which they need.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

What a hot take.... So easy to say as a fan watching the game. In a game situation, you think you can score, you go for it. Ball doesn't slip out, he's a hero. Those are the breaks sometime. Can't fault a competitor for competing. He beat his man to the pile on. 

Media is not going to criticize him trying to score either. That's what you should do. He goes out of bounds, and they end up not scoring, miss a FG, etc. guess what? Everyone is asking why didn't he dive for the score?!?

You want to fault someone, how about Jared Cook who didn't throw a block there on Heath that would have let him walk in (even that is reaching).

I could fault Cook too then. That's the reality of a team anyway. Every mistake is someone's responsibility and all of the mistakes contribute to the failure. That does not absolve Carr though.

PFT supports my view. A guy making 25 mil and leading a team needs to understand high risk/low reward. And needs to know game situation more than any other player on the field. People have said it's "instinct" that led him go for it. I'm sure it is. But those players who play with instinct and then beyond it, with real-time smarts, are the best players in the game because of that extra mile they go. I merely want Carr to reach a level where he steps out of bounds on the play knowing he has the first and then icing the game after that. Rather than continually trying to be Brett Favre or Kobe Bryant every play. 

The reply you're giving falls under Del Rio's lack of accountability umbrella dude. Sorry, but it does. If we don't expect him to make the right or the smart play, a better play, then all the same we're accepting the fact that he didn't. And through that accepting that the team, when it fails player by player, to make the right play or the smart play is also not accountable for that. Which is a major reason why this team has not been a consistently good team for 35 years. For 35 years by and large we haven't made the smart plays and the right plays. 

I think that last point Raider fans mysteriously overlook. This is an organization with an ancient history of great successes from a lost era. For more than 3 decades we are not what could be called a top team. We're not, not at all. Getting back there requires looking closely at the model top teams have laid out in the modern era. Pitt, NE, GB, etc. By and large these teams know how to play smart, with discipline, accountability. They win doing this because other teams, like ours, don't play smart and with discipline. They eat wins that other teams mostly blow. They have stable ways of doing things and excelling at them. We have none of that, and not asking more from our players in terms of smarts, discipline, playing within themselves and doing their job is one of the reasons why. 

58 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

FACTUALLY incorrect.

Ok...(snorts) twechnically...they where still in playoff contention but pretty much every good team they've played this season has beaten them. They came out flat against almost every team they played on the road and lost half of their home games. Yeah they played the Patriots on the road but the Patriots also played the Raiders on the road...and it's the Patriots. This team was done really after the loss to them, why because it was a massive blowout and the team did not look like it had two weeks to prepare for them. Same with the Bills, who BENCHED THEIR STARTING QB A WEEK LATER. Even if this team went to the playoffs they would have been embarrassed by the Jags or the Chiefs in the playoffs just like last year. Season's over look before Carr ran that ball in, they could have taken care of business in Arrowhead and didn't, they could have beaten the Redskins on Sunday night. They could have beaten the Ravens at home, they where one score away from beating both the chargers and broncos but they couldn't even manage that. This team has not played up to their talent level or their paychecks, except like Mack and Teveccio. This season has been a comprehensive failure from the top down.

7 minutes ago, holyghost said:

I could fault Cook too then. That's the reality of a team anyway. Every mistake is someone's responsibility and all of the mistakes contribute to the failure. That does not absolve Carr though.

PFT supports my view. A guy making 25 mil and leading a team needs to understand high risk/low reward. And needs to know game situation more than any other player on the field. People have said it's "instinct" that led him go for it. I'm sure it is. But those players who play with instinct and then beyond it, with real-time smarts, are the best players in the game because of that extra mile they go. I merely want Carr to reach a level where he steps out of bounds on the play knowing he has the first and then icing the game after that. Rather than continually trying to be Brett Favre or Kobe Bryant every play. 

The reply you're giving falls under Del Rio's lack of accountability umbrella dude. Sorry, but it does. If we don't expect him to make the right or the smart play, a better play, then all the same we're accepting the fact that he didn't. And through that accepting that the team, when it fails player by player, to make the right play or the smart play is also not accountable for that. Which is a major reason why this team has not been a consistently good team for 35 years. For 35 years by and large we haven't made the smart plays and the right plays. 

I think that last point Raider fans mysteriously overlook. This is an organization with an ancient history of great successes from a lost era. For more than 3 decades we are not what could be called a top team. We're not, not at all. Getting back there requires looking closely at the model top teams have laid out in the modern era. Pitt, NE, GB, etc. By and large these teams know how to play smart, with discipline, accountability. They win doing this because other teams, like ours, don't play smart and with discipline. They eat wins that other teams mostly blow. They have stable ways of doing things and excelling at them. We have none of that, and not asking more from our players in terms of smarts, discipline, playing within themselves and doing their job is one of the reasons why. 

If they played this way then they wouldn't be in a situation where Carr has to run it in. This season has been a comprehensive failure on everyone not doing their jobs, from the Coordinators play calling and game planning, Carr not going through progressions and trying to force things every play, receivers not catching balls or running wrong routes, to JDR not making adjustments sooner.

It's funny reading these posts." Im not going to kill carr for trying to make a play". Um what did you think Seth Roberts was trying to do when he fumble at 6 yard line when we was trying to drive to score. People was destroying him. But wasn't he just "trying to make a play". Every player at least I hope is trying to make a play when they mess up. Jesse James could have crawled into end zone. But He dove for goaline trying to make a play and bobbled the ball. 

Archived