Packers sign RB Josh Jacobs (4 years, $48M, $12.5M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Odd move, why would they want Josh Jacobs over a more versatile Aaron Jones who was playing out of his mind good at the end of last season?  What injuries?  

They are going to miss the pass catching Aaron Jones provided out of the backfield, the dude was crazy good at the end of last season and is always a threat to catch the football and make big plays that way as well.

JJ for his career has an avg of 2.6 catch 7.4 yards per catch stat line

AJ for his careet has an avg of 2.8 catches 7.6 yars per catch stat line

Jones avg games per year 13.8 while Jacobs nudges him at 14.6. 

So with all things being pretty equal I think GB did ok with 3.5 years younger and a kid that hassn't played for many winners. Moving to what appears to be an up and coming team with a QB set for now. Same money this year then Jones would have made and have a younger back and haven't lost much in terms of play, maybe top end speed but Jacobs is i believe a better 3 down back. 

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

So with all things being pretty equal I think GB did ok with 3.5 years younger and a kid that hassn't played for many winners. Moving to what appears to be an up and coming team with a QB set for now. Same money this year then Jones would have made and have a younger back and haven't lost much in terms of play, maybe top end speed but Jacobs is i believe a better 3 down back. 

Pretty much almost five 110+ yard rushing games to end the season and go through the playoffs.  Pretty great performance by him.  Sure Jacobs is three years younger but just seems odd a player did so well, played great the last three games to get them to the playoffs, got them to the playoffs then they beat down Dallas and almost beat the 49ers to go to the NFC title game and Jones was a huge part of it all.  Then just can the guy, seems kind of odd.  But yes Jacobs has done similar things on the field and is a more physical runner but not as dynamic I would say.  Also when Jacobs has made those plays the Raiders were usually only a .500 team or below that, once they were over .500.  Jones has been part of some very successful Packer teams, two NFC title games and two NFC division games in the playoffs, Jacobs has been to a wild card game once.  

Maybe Aaron Jones has some injury stuff other teams are not fully aware of.  

Then again it is just a RB and usually that is not going to make or break anything.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Not all catches are created equally for RBs. Elliott has similar numbers to both, and he’s not the receiver Jones was. Jacobs doesn’t have that diverse of a skill set catching the ball to the extent Jones did, but yeah, he’s younger, more durable, and much better runner at this point in their careers.

Problem with Jacobs is his touches. He’s got more career touches than Aaron Jones, despite playing in 24 less games. He had a pretty down year production wise already, you have to wonder when that mileage runs low and a slower guy loses another step. Thats the only issue I have with Jacobs.

Still a fine signing for Green Bay. Just a huge stretch to say he brings the same pass catching to the table that Jones does. 

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure the reason the Packers preferred Jacobs to Jones is mostly age.  Jones turns 30 this December and the track record for 30 year old RBs is not great, so it's unlikely they were going to commit to him for more years than this year.  Plus the Packers are especially allergic to age for whatever reason, since the oldest player on the roster currently is 28 year old Preston Smith (who might have been a cut-candidate had Enagbare not tore his ACL late in the season.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm pretty sure the reason the Packers preferred Jacobs to Jones is mostly age.  Jones turns 30 this December and the track record for 30 year old RBs is not great, so it's unlikely they were going to commit to him for more years than this year.  Plus the Packers are especially allergic to age for whatever reason, since the oldest player on the roster currently is 28 year old Preston Smith (who might have been a cut-candidate had Enagbare not tore his ACL late in the season.)

Preston is going to be 32 this season but your point still stands.

32 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

This means nothing. Aaron Jones is dynamic in the passing game. He can line up wide, run routes down field and take a WR screen to the house. Jacobs is merely a checkdown option.

Surprise, Jacobs has more mileage on his tires than Aaron Jones as well, despite being younger.  

2 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

This means nothing. Aaron Jones is dynamic in the passing game. He can line up wide, run routes down field and take a WR screen to the house. Jacobs is merely a checkdown option.

Surprise, Jacobs has more mileage on his tires than Aaron Jones as well, despite being younger.  

Jacobs has tuddies off wheel routes. Jones is great, you don't have to make things up to defend your point. There's enough real reasons to prefer Jones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Odd move, why would they want Josh Jacobs over a more versatile Aaron Jones who was playing out of his mind good at the end of last season?  What injuries?  

They are going to miss the pass catching Aaron Jones provided out of the backfield, the dude was crazy good at the end of last season and is always a threat to catch the football and make big plays that way as well.

I'm honestly not sure what part of this post is the most confusing tbh.  Aaron Jones played well over the final 5 games of the Packers' season, but he missed 6 games with injuries and only played in 32% of the offensive snaps at 32 years old.  Josh Jacobs wasn't as productive as Aaron Jones towards the end of the season, but missed the final 4 games but played in 57% of the offensive snaps at 26 years old.  In terms of durability, Josh Jacobs is probably more likely to stay healthy in 2024 than Aaron Jones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soko said:

Not all catches are created equally for RBs. Elliott has similar numbers to both, and he’s not the receiver Jones was. Jacobs doesn’t have that diverse of a skill set catching the ball to the extent Jones did, but yeah, he’s younger, more durable, and much better runner at this point in their careers.

Problem with Jacobs is his touches. He’s got more career touches than Aaron Jones, despite playing in 24 less games. He had a pretty down year production wise already, you have to wonder when that mileage runs low and a slower guy loses another step. Thats the only issue I have with Jacobs.

Still a fine signing for Green Bay. Just a huge stretch to say he brings the same pass catching to the table that Jones does. 

I don't think it's a stretch at all as for pass catching. They are neck and neck in catches statistically. As for an eye test I think Jacobs is a more natural catcher than Jones. Jones could be awkward at times. I'm a big Jones fan just also a big Jacobs fan. Think he's going to do well here. Also yeah Jones did have a nice finish and playoff run. But at 29 this would be his last year and don't forget he was part of he negotiations too maybe it was his side pushing for more than what Gute wanted to give for a last year. I doubt Gute eve pays a RB past 30.

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

Not sure how it means nothing. If you believe Jone is dynamic in the pass game maybe the stats would suggest that Jacobs is a fine pass catcher too. Or that we over hyped Jones as a PC.

Jones has less carries cause hes slight in build and the reason he went in the 5th is he's not a bell cow back. Heck why do you think they even drafted Dillon in the 2nd. Jones can't take 20-25 carries a game.

He's not a pass catching RB by trade either. Was he good yes, did he overcome his own flaws as a pass catcher yes. But they didn't line him up wide to run any WR routes he ran simple stuff like most backs do. If you watch his tape he's not super natural with his hands. He works his tail off.  He's a good back, the mileage is BS as sorry he's 30 this year vs 26 the extra carries mean nothing at at this point ( see what I did there means nothing ). Some rules should never be broken, don't pay RB's over 30. Good player, great guy for sure. We can disagree but Jacobs should be and may be just as special in this offense this year and could be better. 

I'm not knocking Jones but this is a good move if Gute could not make the math work then Jacobs is a great move and the contract is all GBP aces.

Edited by PACKRULE

5 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

I don't think it's a stretch at all as for pass catching. They are neck and neck in catches statistically. As for an eye test I think Jacobs is a more natural catcher than Jones. Jones could be awkward at times. I'm a big Jones fan just also a big Jacobs fan. Think he's going to do well here. Also yeah Jones did have a nice finish and playoff run. But at 29 this would be his last year and don't forget he was part of he negotiations too maybe it was his side pushing for more than what Gute wanted to give for a last year. I doubt Gute eve pays a RB past 30.

Neck and neck statistically for receiving backs is pointless. Travis Etienne is right there with both of them too, and he’s a much more dynamic player and better receiver out of the backfield than both. Same with Mixon. Same with Dalvin Cook. A RB catching wide open dump off passes vs a RB running actual routes of the backfield, are very different things, but could very much appear the same on a stat sheet. It’s not as easy as saying they both have similar catches/game (which is also going to be weighted in Jacobs’ favor, because he never shared the backfield, has been healthier, and sees more snaps). Jacobs is a bruising back that doesn’t have stone hands, but he’s not beating people on wheels routes or angles. 

1 minute ago, Soko said:

Neck and neck statistically for receiving backs is pointless. Travis Etienne is right there with both of them too, and he’s a much more dynamic player and better receiver out of the backfield than both. Same with Mixon. Same with Dalvin Cook. A RB catching wide open dump off passes vs a RB running actual routes of the backfield, are very different things, but could very much appear the same on a stat sheet. It’s not as easy as saying they both have similar catches/game (which is also going to be weighted in Jacobs’ favor, because he never shared the backfield, has been healthier, and sees more snaps). Jacobs is a bruising back that doesn’t have stone hands, but he’s not beating people on wheels routes or angles. 

All good bro, I just disagree. The stats provide the backdrop to the highlight reels. And parse our memories as your suggesting that Jones and Etienne are more dynamic but again the stats don't show that. Your merely stating wheel routes and routes from the back field and such. Give me something tangible vs subjective to support your stance. Right now your just merely saying this, I'm a Jones fan have been for years I don't see dynamic. I see like most of these RB's there are the odd splash plays but mostly it's dump offs for first downs if lucky.