Packers Signing RB Josh Jacobs

On 4/19/2024 at 10:32 PM, thrILL! said:

Excellent answers. 

Hard not to like this kid! I was really pissed when Jones left, still am to a certain degree. This kid is impossible not to like and want to root for him. 

Definitely softening the blow of losing Jones. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

MLF noted in press conference the "violence" involved with the running-back position, and how he'd again like to platoon and use two or three backs.  So I don't get the sense that, at least until late in season, that Jacobs being bigger and more rugged than Jones is going to change the distribution that goes to best back.  

It's why I'm super interested in how good Lloyd will look, and how the non-Jacobs series will get allocated between Lloyd and Dillon.  Would be so nice if Lloyd just showed up and proves to be a good, shifty, fun player right away.  I expect Dillon will probably get more series at first.  But it would sure be fun if Lloyd looked good enough so that we as fans wanted to see him get some series, and if MLF likes what he sees well enough so that he wants to give Lloyd some series, too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craig said:

MLF noted in press conference the "violence" involved with the running-back position, and how he'd again like to platoon and use two or three backs.  So I don't get the sense that, at least until late in season, that Jacobs being bigger and more rugged than Jones is going to change the distribution that goes to best back.  

It's why I'm super interested in how good Lloyd will look, and how the non-Jacobs series will get allocated between Lloyd and Dillon.  Would be so nice if Lloyd just showed up and proves to be a good, shifty, fun player right away.  I expect Dillon will probably get more series at first.  But it would sure be fun if Lloyd looked good enough so that we as fans wanted to see him get some series, and if MLF likes what he sees well enough so that he wants to give Lloyd some series, too.  

MLF wants our running game to be an absolute menace and I'm here for it. I hope Love's life is so comfortable back there because we have a top running game in the league. I really think that what he's focused on. It's why I thought RB2 was a top upgradable position in the draft as well. I thought we might be targeting a top RB in this class. 

People should be really excited for Lloyd. If our OL is any good at run blocking this year it should be a fun season on offense.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

MLF wants our running game to be an absolute menace and I'm here for it. I hope Love's life is so comfortable back there because we have a top running game in the league. I really think that what he's focused on. ....

Incog, I like the concept.  I just can't really see it being reality.   Over the last 5 years, only Covid year have the Packers been top-11 in YPC, and never top-5.  I just don't think we draft the linemen to be really a top running team.  Don't really see any of Tom, Walker, or Morgan being top-run-blocking tackles.  

Hope I'm wrong, and there is incremental improvement everywhere?  Packers were 12th in ypc last year, so wouldn't take a ton of improvement to move into top-10... 

1. Pass sets up run, and for much of the year defenses didn't fear our pass.  Our passing game might be much more threatening, especially if Watson is healthy and good, so might cause emptier box?   
  2. Maybe walker/Morgan can do a little better at LT? 
  3. Maybe Rhyan will provide a little more push than Runyan at RG? 
  4. O-line as a whole took a while to lock in.  Maybe they'll just all be better and more cohesive and consistent?  
  5. Maybe the running backs will just create more?  Dillon got a lot of low-ypc carries, and didn't create a lot of yards.  

Would sure be fun if the run game was excellent, and run-pass were both win-win.  

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

MLF wants our running game to be an absolute menace and I'm here for it. I hope Love's life is so comfortable back there because we have a top running game in the league. I really think that what he's focused on. It's why I thought RB2 was a top upgradable position in the draft as well. I thought we might be targeting a top RB in this class. 

People should be really excited for Lloyd. If our OL is any good at run blocking this year it should be a fun season on offense.

As far as run blocking goes, we're probably going to remain a finesse-oriented cut-against-the-grain type of outfit, which honestly works well enough between the 10's if your passing game is total gangbusters. We'll continue to range from merely average to liability when it comes to battling in the trenches to force yardage however. We'll never be brawlers without doing a complete overhaul of the OL.

• Like 1

IIRC, I'm pretty sure we were like last in the league bad at rushing up until our bye, then middle of the road in the middle of the season until Jones came back, then like best in the league good to end the season/playoffs. I'll crunch the numbers to see if I'm actually right in the morning though. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

As @Zycho32 said, our O line has never been a shining example of a run blocking unit, they just weren't built that way - average is what I hope for there. Equally, if Lloyd himself can be at least average at blocking, he'll get his carries and catches. If he cannot manage that in his rookie year, he won't see that many snaps on offense and pass blocking is where he needs intensive coaching.

Fingers crossed he can learn to at least pass block well enough to get in someones way and stall them for a second or so, or go low and take them to the ground. The running the ball part I'm not worried about, he can do that as long as he is anti-awful at keeping hold of the ball - and I expect him to be fine as a pass catcher.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It will be very interesting to see what Rhyan brings to the table in the run game this year. He and another year of improvement from Tom has the potential to really help out on the right side. 

I read that Morgan was working inside at guard during OTA's. I wonder if the plan is to start him there. I was hoping he'd exclusively work at LT and we who is better between him and Walker. 

I'm with you, I think Rhyan has another leap like last year, the right side could be very solid. 

7 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

IIRC, I'm pretty sure we were like last in the league bad at rushing up until our bye, then middle of the road in the middle of the season until Jones came back, then like best in the league good to end the season/playoffs. I'll crunch the numbers to see if I'm actually right in the morning though. 

If reference and my morning math are correct...

First 5 games: 82 YPG rushing which would have been 32nd extrapolated over the full season.

Middle stretch: 115 YPG rushing which would have been 14th extrapolated over the full season. 

Last 5 games: 150 YPG rushing which would have been 2nd extrapolated over over the full season. 

How much of that was the line improving, the game plan improving, or AJ33 and what that means about where our run game stands going forward is still up for debate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I read that Morgan was working inside at guard during OTA's. I wonder if the plan is to start him there. I was hoping he'd exclusively work at LT and we who is better between him and Walker. 

I'm with you, I think Rhyan has another leap like last year, the right side could be very solid. 

They’ve had Morgan at LT, RT and LG from what I’ve read. Very early in the process so they want to see what he’s capable of but I believe they hope he’s a capable T.

Coach said Rhyan has really advanced in his conditioning since arriving in GB. Where he used to have a few great reps and then be gassed, he’s now stringing them together more consistently. Hope he can show something after working part time last season. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Refugee said:

They’ve had Morgan at LT, RT and LG from what I’ve read. Very early in the process so they want to see what he’s capable of but I believe they hope he’s a capable T.

Coach said Rhyan has really advanced in his conditioning since arriving in GB. Where he used to have a few great reps and then be gassed, he’s now stringing them together more consistently. Hope he can show something after working part time last season. 

Well, with Rhyan occupying the RG position, seems like they intend to roll with him this season. Hope he has a comparable leap from year two to year three. Like he did from year 1 to year 2. 

I really liked that pick when we made it. Hope the kid realizes his potential. He's a big, strong man, no reason why he can't 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

It's OTAs. Nobody's working exclusively anywhere. 

Morgan is very likely going to look better than Walker until the pads come on. That's just the nature of being a better athlete and playing in shorts in the off-season. 

We're not going to know anything about who or what Morgan is as a player until Preston Smith tries to go through him, and that's not gonna happen for another 7-ish weeks.