110 N.F.L brains found to have CTE out of 111

candyman93

8 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

What was the quality of life for most of these people? If almost everyone who plays in the NFL gets CTE and most of them live completely normal lives, shouldn't that ease the hysteria if anything?

Specific information with respect to that was quoted on the previous page. With that in mind, no I don't think the "hysteria" will be eased any. And I don't think "hysteria" is a particularly apt description of the concerns about CTE, to be honest.

It would be nice if the players association and the nfl made every former nfl player to donate their brain. I wanna see randomized research and not selected.

Also people from the military are at high risk for cte but they arent beating theor heads everyday so why is that the case.

Another thing I'm wondering is what exactly everyone wants. The NFL already settled for $1 billion. They've already dramatically changed the way the game is played. I'm pretty sure they've reached full awareness, as if anyone needed science to figure out that years of blows to the head might be bad for you. So what will be enough for everyone? The death of football?

3 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Another thing I'm wondering is what exactly everyone wants. The NFL already settled for $1 billion. They've already dramatically changed the way the game is played. I'm pretty sure they've reached full awareness, as if anyone needed science to figure out that years of blows to the head might be bad for you. So what will be enough for everyone? The death of football?

27k posts and not a single 'like'. I gave you a pity like.

I think some people just want more honesty from the league. I really don't care. It's sorta like tobacco companies, everyone wanted them to admit that it was bad for you but they refused for many years. Everyone already knew smoking was bad for you, why you want the manufacturer to admit it when you already know, doesn't really seem to make a whole lot of difference but the people still want it. Football is bad for your health. Once the NFL admits it, it will become unlawful to play football indoors, on hospital grounds, in parks, state/city/government property and within 20 feet of business entrances. Also it will get taxed like crazy.

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

27k posts and not a single 'like'. I gave you a pity like.

24 hours on the new forum with 8 posts?

Anyway I largely agree with DTMB, where do we draw the line? Or do we just keep conducting more research into something we already know. 

I do agree the league needs to be more open and honest but ultimately where is this heading? What's the end game? 

15 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

How long before major legislation involving youth football?

The public outcry would have to be tremendous for this to even be an option. Even then, the muh freedom arguments would be in full swell even if it involves minors. So I doubt legislation would ever realistically happen. Unless some huge, damning data set specifically targeting youth contact football was funded (it won't be).

More likely is just a sizeable minority of parents removing it as an option. Even if 20-30% of parents take football off the table, it's still a good chunk out of your developmental pool.

13 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I'm pretty sure they've reached full awareness

3 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Or do we just keep conducting more research into something we already know. 

Are you two really under the impression that we as a species know all there is to know about concussions, the prevalence of them in minors, their effect on developing and/or developed minds, and the full breadth of their physiological and psychological repercussions?

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

Are you two really under the impression that we as a species know all there is to know about concussions, the prevalence of them in minors, their effect on developing and/or developed minds, and the full breadth of their physiological and psychological repercussions?

Not at all, I'm all for more research, but it's not really newsworthy in an NFL sense. I'd be more interested if the research disproved the theory we all hold. 

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

Not at all, I'm all for more research, but it's not really newsworthy in an NFL sense. I'd be more interested if the research disproved the theory we all hold. 

The reason this is all still relevant is because the NFL has a protracted history of covering up evidence relating to concussions, downplaying their severity, and preventing accurate information from being disseminated to players.

There's also a difference between "This isn't good for you" and "We know the full extent of how bad this is for you". We're now seeking to address the latter question, since the NFL has apparently finally stopped nay-saying the first one.

10 hours ago, texans_uk said:

24 hours on the new forum with 8 posts?

Anyway I largely agree with DTMB, where do we draw the line? Or do we just keep conducting more research into something we already know. 

I do agree the league needs to be more open and honest but ultimately where is this heading? What's the end game? 

Great questions, I think we have to remember the sport does have more positives than negatives, but that fact seems to be drowned out in these stories. I would enjoy reading articles which advance the topic, like technological ways this problem will be reduced. There's also the issue of getting players to honestly take baseline tests in the offseason, and coaches need to do a better job of removing starters from games when the outcome has either been decided, or the games are meaningless. We still have no idea why some former players with many concussions are doing well in their old age, while some other players more recently retired are struggling. 

Unfortunately, concussions will always be a part of tackle football, just like high speeds will always be part of the Indy 500. I do think the endgame for some people is the watering down, or minimizing of the sport. These folks don't realize the thousands of former players succeeded in life, partly due to the life lessens of football. Youth football will prevail, I can see the elimination of the youngest level of competition. Beyond the traits of teamwork, discipline, sacrifice, and hard work, youth football has something very valuable. Many youths are unfortunately the product of single-parent families, and badly need the guidance and support of male role models in their lives. It's really important, not just for the children, but society at large. 

21 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

It would be nice if the players association and the nfl made every former nfl player to donate their brain.

Made seems like a strong word. And I don't know if the NFL wants to add "once you die we cut your head open to see how bad the sport ruined you" to their CBA. It's kind of a grim look for the league. 

2 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Made seems like a strong word. And I don't know if the NFL wants to add "once you die we cut your head open to see how bad the sport ruined you" to their CBA. It's kind of a grim look for the league. 

Well I think it would go a long way to truly having a case study.

35 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Great questions, I think we have to remember the sport does have more positives than negatives, but that fact seems to be drowned out in these stories. I would enjoy reading articles which advance the topic, like technological ways this problem will be reduced. There's also the issue of getting players to honestly take baseline tests in the offseason, and coaches need to do a better job of removing starters from games when the outcome has either been decided, or the games are meaningless. We still have no idea why some former players with many concussions are doing well in their old age, while some other players more recently retired are struggling. 

Unfortunately, concussions will always be a part of tackle football, just like high speeds will always be part of the Indy 500. I do think the endgame for some people is the watering down, or minimizing of the sport. These folks don't realize the thousands of former players succeeded in life, partly due to the life lessens of football. Youth football will prevail, I can see the elimination of the youngest level of competition. Beyond the traits of teamwork, discipline, sacrifice, and hard work, youth football has something very valuable. Many youths are unfortunately the product of single-parent families, and badly need the guidance and support of male role models in their lives. It's really important, not just for the children, but society at large. 

Those are all fine benefits of organized sports in general, not of football. I'm not here to say that football should be eliminated. I'm just saying that "Players learn teamwork and discipline" is a really poor justification with respect to concussion issues since pretty much every team activity does the same thing.

Archived