110 N.F.L brains found to have CTE out of 111

candyman93

On 8/22/2017 at 1:44 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

The reason I don't find this very alarming is that these were all dead NFL players.  How many of them died before the new rules geared towards safety took effect?  Additionally, how many of them died before they played a single game with new helmets designed to reduce brain trauma? 

another issue is I believe all the Brains were coming from people with history of concussions and what not. Like the ones who donated their brains were the ones who had histort

It be like looking at 100hearts from people who were known to be obese and finding cardiac issues in them. 

I think the results would be more alarming if it was just random samples. Seems like all samples had brain issues

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

another issue is I believe all the Brains were coming from people with history of concussions and what not. Like the ones who donated their brains were the ones who had histort

It be like looking at 100hearts from people who were known to be obese and finding cardiac issues in them. 

I think the results would be more alarming if it was just random samples. Seems like all samples had brain issues

Thats what they need to do, 1000 brains of people who played football and had reported concusions, 1000 who hadn't had reported concusions but played and another 1000 who never played contact sport. 

I wouldn't be surprised if I had ultra mild CTE, I have been knocked out 3-4 times and played rugby for 10 seasons. I can have trouble focusing. But Im still heaps smart. 

13 hours ago, buno67 said:

On 8/17/2017 at 11:49 AM, fretgod99 said:
On 7/25/2017 at 1:05 PM, Shanedorf said:

They talk about the study bias you mentioned above- the people who agree to have the brains assessed have seen symptoms that suggest CTE- so the numbers are definitely skewed. However...

"About 1,300 former players have died since the B.U. group began examining brains. So even if every one of the other 1,200 players would have tested negative — which even the heartiest skeptics would agree could not possibly be the case — the minimum C.T.E. prevalence would be close to 9 percent, vastly higher than in the general population."

These teams at BU are doing "good science" and following Good Clinical Practice Guidelines.

They are not some sham operation like the crew the NFL assembled to say " everything is fine...nothing to see here"

So it appears that the concerns with regard to selection bias are unwarranted. Even if literally ever other player possible to have been tested during the time frame tested negative, the rates of CTE for football players are still higher than in the general population.

From the first page via last page.

Archived