Raiders sign QB Gardner Minshew (2 years, $25M, $15M gtd)

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

This is what I thought. If you’re thinking of trying to draft McCarthy you need a backup plan as it’s likely he won’t be a plug and play starter. We have AOC who may improve but to go into the season with O’Connell and McCarthy who may need a red shirt year as the only options would be cavalier to say the least. 

Now, we have a vet who can hold the fort, a guy in AOC who can play in a pinch and could develop too and if we drafted McCarthy he would t be thrust straight in. This is a risk management signing and quite smart I think. It’s not sexy or inspiring but to me at least, it seems sensible.

Couldn’t say it better. My thoughts exactly. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

This is what I thought. If you’re thinking of trying to draft McCarthy you need a backup plan as it’s likely he won’t be a plug and play starter. We have AOC who may improve but to go into the season with O’Connell and McCarthy who may need a red shirt year as the only options would be cavalier to say the least. 

Now, we have a vet who can hold the fort, a guy in AOC who can play in a pinch and could develop too and if we drafted McCarthy he wouldn't be thrust straight in. This is a risk management signing and quite smart I think. It’s not sexy or inspiring but to me at least, it seems sensible.

I just hope that having Minshew in place doesn't make us complacent. He shouldn't be viewed as a long term solution and we're basically punting next year away if we roll with him as the main guy, IMO. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

I am just curious BP,  not being a jerk. You got solid ideas most of the time. What's your plan A and B? Hypothetically speaking. And I do agree, definitely doesn't jibe with the band aid comment (however, we don't know if AP considers him a band aid or not.)

Plan A, trade up for a QB. Plan B, see who falls and trade up in the bottom of round 1. They need to take a shot on a high end rookie option at QB.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

AP's master plan was Getsy/Minshew while letting Jacobs/Elu walk

No issue with Jacobs, don't pay RBs with a lot of miles. You can find serviceable guys anywhere. Elu was a mid OT. A day 3 rookie in this class can replicate his impact at a fraction of the cost with more potential upside. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Like who? The only meh QB's that are set to make $10M+ next year are Minshew and Daniel Jones.

You think of the Mariota deal that he got with the raiders/falcons. Or some the deal that Jacoby Brissett or tyrod on the chargers

11 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

Yep, we were 2 of the several guys that mentioned him. To me, it's a solid signing and gives us a little breathing room. No need to panic now, simple as that. I mean, what qbs are really out there? And this imo, absolutely means nothing in terms of drafting a qb if the right one comes up in the right draft slot. It does probably mean we won't be part of a bidding war.  

He’s still better than jimmy and hoyer combined and cheaper 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Plan A, trade up for a QB. Plan B, see who falls and trade up in the bottom of round 1. They need to take a shot on a high end rookie option at QB.

Plan C. No one's there at the end of the first, we roll into 2024 with scrubs at QB and a downgraded offense compared to last year and don't put up 17 points a game.

I see this as a possibility. 

There were more than a few teams that got stuck in this exact position this year, and I think QBs will fly off the board because of it. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Darnold got 10mill from minn

That's another example of how the quarterback position is just naturally overpaid so to be able to get someone that can start for only 5 million more is actually pretty good

20 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Plan C. No one's there at the end of the first, we roll into 2024 with scrubs at QB and a downgraded offense compared to last year and don't put up 17 points a game.

I’d love to trade up for our QB of the future, but I don’t know if it’s going to happen based on our draft slot. 

As is, our offense will be bad. No doubt about that. However,  Minshew is a better QB than last years AOC and Jacobs was absolutely terrible so losing him isn’t an enormous change (again just looking at last year). RG and RT wasn't particularly dominant, so chalking that up to a wash with whatever we end up fielding as well.

imo we’re walking in with an offense that is on par with the one we fielded last year and a defense that’s theoretically light years better than last. Especially if we end up drafting a CB in the 1st  and another defensive piece (Sweat please) in the 2nd as we aren’t able to move up to get a QB.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NickButera said:

There were more than a few teams that got stuck in this exact position this year, and I think QBs will fly off the board because of it. 

Why would this mean that the offense is downgraded from last year? Minshew is an upgrade on O'Connell, Jacobs didn't do much most of the year anyway, and there's a chance for us to upgrade the whole right side of the line via the draft. Plus we'll still presumably have Adams, Meyers, Tucker and an improved Mayer (Getsy loves TEs).

Edited by Nightmare
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Im not sure if weve downgraded on O truthfully...
Aoc in year 2 should be better than Jimmy or Hoyer or rookie AOC. . . 
and thats assuming he beats out Gardner who is better than all 3. 

Not great, but easily better QB play is likely a bigger impact than losing jacobs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

W/ what we have now, I see our offense being a little better than last year's but there's still time for that to change. We're not going to set the world on fire but I'm seeing AP wanting to build a defense and lean on that side of the ball for obvious reasons. We're already off to a great start right there. Can't emphasize how much I love that Wilkins signing.

• Like 2