Vikings sign Sam Darnold

24 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

It's a fun conversation nothing more. Zero people likely think he'll stay this good. 

that's interesting - I don't think he's actually been *that good* either - I think he's executing the offense and making good reads for the most part, but there's still some ball placement and timing things that could make things significantly better - those may or may not come along as the season progresses, but I'm still of the belief that he's a product of the system to this point rather than the straw stirring the drink.

It's sorta 2018 Goff/McVay-esque to this point.

• Like 4

Just now, JDBrocks said:

that's interesting - I don't think he's actually been *that good* either - I think he's executing the offense and making good reads for the most part, but there's still some ball placement and timing things that could make things significantly better - those may or may not come along as the season progresses, but I'm still of the belief that he's a product of the system to this point rather than the straw stirring the drink.

It's sorta 2018 Goff/McVay-esque to this point.

Let's say he continues to play precisely how he has these first three games and does end up going for 40+ TDs and 11 picks - presuming he still looks like "he's just executing the offense," do you risk that he isn't the straw stirring the drink? 

Wouldn't you at least tag him and make someone give up something for him?

Just now, wcblack34 said:

Let's say he continues to play precisely how he has these first three games and does end up going for 40+ TDs and 11 picks - presuming he still looks like "he's just executing the offense," do you risk that he isn't the straw stirring the drink? 

Wouldn't you at least tag him and make someone give up something for him?

absolutely - I said either in this or another thread that I think it's in the best interest for all involved that they tag and trade him. Let him and his agent find the best fit and opportunity for long term success, and then work on a trade package that allows him to go there. That team gets a potential franchise QB and likely less than market rate for that position, Darnold maximizes his earning potential and gets stability in a good situation, the Vikings net much needed draft capital.

Let's get Sam paid.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

And that would be like 50 some million? That would definitely complicate things

it might, but they can also seek things out and make it happen quickly. There's always going to be a risk that they lose him for nothing if a team is willing to pay him more.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He’s referring to the tag number. 

And while it won’t be $50M, it will be north of $40M. 

OK, I just wasn't thinking of the tag, but yes, that's probably the case...the tag number this year was $38M, so it may be a little higher, but it's not going to be anywhere near $50M yet.  I still probably wouldn't want to do that, although I imagine if they know a team might sign him to a long-term deal, then that would be acceptable.  It certainly would be for less than the 2 first-rd picks.  I'd actually be surprised if they'd even get 1 first.  

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

OK, I just wasn't thinking of the tag, but yes, that's probably the case...the tag number this year was $38M, so it may be a little higher, but it's not going to be anywhere near $50M yet.  I still probably wouldn't want to do that, although I imagine if they know a team might sign him to a long-term deal, then that would be acceptable.  It certainly would be for less than the 2 first-rd picks.  I'd actually be surprised if they'd even get 1 first.  

A 2nd and 3rd would be fine by me. If that happens it send a message to other FA around the league that you can go to Minnesota, be part of a winning culture, and they’ll do right by you. The only real downside is the risk of not finding a trade partner. They’ll have a very good idea of what his market is before they make that decision. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If a team is willing give a QB a starting caliber contract, they are probably willing to give up a first round pick. Anyone you would want as a starting QB is worth that.

Edited by Worm Guts
  • Like 1

I just watched the QB School episode on Darnold’s week 3, and he’s definitely still finding himself in the offense. He’s not close to the way Kirk was playing before he got hurt last year. The scheme and defense are doing a lot of the heavy lifting. There were late throws, off target throws, and a couple that were lucky they weren’t ints.

It makes me both excited for when he gets all of his weapons back healthy, and also nervous that he’s going to go over the cliff if he gets overly confident. If they’re going to keep this going O’Connell needs to keep him centered and focused.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 2