Panthers owner Jerry Richardson under investigation for misconduct; To sell the team

tonyto36

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

This is huge because Richardson along with Kraft, Jones, Rooney and Mara was one of the top 5 owners and in Goodell's inner circle. 

Two scenario's I can envision. What he did was so bad that he wants to get out of dodge and make himself irrelevant so nobody cares. Two he's just doing the league a solid as a good steward and alleviating some bad publicity from them

According to SI he was basically Donald Sterling and Harvey Weinstein rolled into one.

8 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Unless he had to sell the Hornets to afford to buy the Panthers, why would he need to need to sell the basketball team?  You can own two different sports franchises (per NFL rules) as long as they're in the same state.

I just kind of bring it up because last I knew North Carolina only has three billionaires (none with any particular sports proclivities that I'm aware) and all of them are over 70.

How much will the Panthers go for 2-3 billion ?

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

How much will the Panthers go for 2-3 billion ?

They're currently the 23rd most valuable NFL franchise at $1b, so you have to figure on Richardson getting at least 150% on market value because of scarcity.  So I'd say $2 billion or just shy of there is probably realistic.

Just now, RedRider said:

Is it bad that all I'm hoping for out of all of this is that the Panthers update their jerseys? (They scream 90's and would have been updated by now if they weren't Jerry's baby).

Maybe Michael Jordan buys the team and helps us out with his Nike connection.

I like our black jerseys.  The all whites are trash though.

13 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Wow. I'm glad he's already selling the team. I remember thinking he was a clown for what he said to Cam Newton during the draft process a several years back. Carolina deserves better ownership and I hope all he did comes out to the media.

That comment bothered you???

Just now, RedRider said:

Is it bad that all I'm hoping for out of all of this is that the Panthers update their jerseys? (They scream 90's and would have been updated by now if they weren't Jerry's baby).

That is about the only positive to this. JR always said he would never change the uniform in any significant way. And it needs an update sooooooo bad.

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

They're currently the 23rd most valuable NFL franchise at $1b, so you have to figure on Richardson getting at least 150% on market value because of scarcity.  So I'd say $2 billion or just shy of there is probably realistic.

Only 23rd most valuable?

I hate to bring this up, but considering this and the fact that Richardson seems to be trying to hastily sell the team, I wonder if the new owner would consider relocating?

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Only 23rd most valuable?

I hate to bring this up, but considering this and the fact that Richardson seems to be trying to hastily sell the team, I wonder if the new owner would consider relocating?

I dont think he would sell if he wasn't selling to someone (or a group) dedicated to staying in Charlotte. Getting a team to North Carolina was his brain child. This team is his legacy.

26 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I just kind of bring it up because last I knew North Carolina only has three billionaires (none with any particular sports proclivities that I'm aware) and all of them are over 70.

Born in NC.  Billionaire.  Owned a football league.

9db.gif

It could happen.

4 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

I dont think he would sell if he wasn't selling to someone (or a group) dedicated to staying in Charlotte. Getting a team to North Carolina was his brain child. This team is his legacy.

Plus Charlotte is a booming city.  I'm not sure why an owner or the league would want to move them out of Charlotte.

Archived