Week 15: Jets vs Saints

Dr.O

40 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Our defensive still gave up 31 points, How many times in the second half did the Saints shoot themselves in the foot, two bad fumbles deep in the red zone. Plus the TD pass that was called back because the receiver got lazy  and his big toe touch the white line. The run defensive was great except at garbage time in the last minute when the Saints got a 50 yard run. Overall out defensive is getting better & better every game.

You can also look at it as if the Jets generated those turnovers too. You could also say that the offense was so bad that the defense was tapped out late in the game from constantly being on the field.

14 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

You can also look at it as if the Jets generated those turnovers too. You could also say that the offense was so bad that the defense was tapped out late in the game from constantly being on the field.

Agree any three and out offensive will wear down any defensive. And that is been the Jets story for most of the year. No question Mc Cown. had some good games, he got us five more wins than I though we would get. Those five wins could cost us our franchise QB. 

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think the staff is big on Hack fulfilling a process of development. That's why we didn't play him Week 17 last season and more than likely why we aren't playing him right now. Now in Year 3 it should be his time to take a big step. But that step might be too late depending on what we do in FA and the draft. I still stand by that Hack will start at QB for us before any QB drafted this year not named Rosen or Darnold. If Cousins or Bridgewater are signed I don't think Hack every gets a shot to start unless any injury occurs.

If we do end up in the Mayfield or Jackson range then Hack will have every chance to win the starting job.  I'd assume the QB comp would be something like vet (McCown or someone else preferably Bridgewater but I'd assume McCown because of his knowledge of the system and willingness to teach), Mayfield/Jackson, and Hack.

I think the young guy would easily win over Hack but it will be an open comp for sure.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

If we do end up in the Mayfield or Jackson range then Hack will have every chance to win the starting job.  I'd assume the QB comp would be something like vet (McCown or someone else preferably Bridgewater but I'd assume McCown because of his knowledge of the system and willingness to teach), Mayfield/Jackson, and Hack.

I think the young guy would easily win over Hack but it will be an open comp for sure.

I am the last guy you would except this from, but I would say this,  if we do get one of the QB's in the draft..  I would rather have McCown, backing up the QB we draft. Or even start till the new QB is ready. That's only if Petty & Hack bomb out.

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think it will depend on if McCown plans to retire or not. If he wants to keep playing I think he'll be back on a similar deal. If we can't get Cousins then I'd like to have McCown back because he knows his role at this stage of his career.

I do think the Petty experiment is over after this season, we may try to see what we can get for him in a trade or we'll release him after training camp. We'll get a shot to see what Hack has in the preseason again and much like the last few years if the young guys can show comparable play to the vet then they will get the starting nod. My guess is McCown will start the first few games until the rookie is ready.

If Morton is back as OC than Hack has a wayyyy better chance than starting over any rookie not named Rosen (maybe Darnold too). I don’t think some of you realize the big difference between the OU offense and our offense and just as much if not more so for Louisville offense to ours. Regardless of skill set those 2 need atleast 1 season to able to adjust to an NFL offense.

That being said if McCown returns than Hack has an upslope to start Week 1 even after being in the system for more than a year.

I watched this game and I was unhappy about qb situation.  Petty has 2 years under pro and he played like a struggling rookie. Footwork broke down too quick to be an average qb.  I can't imagine if Jets played Hackenberg instead.  Jeremy Bates needs to go.  Dump Morton if he refuses to let his friend go.

McCown doesn't require any extra help from coaches so it is natural for Bates the qb coach to spend extra time with Petty and Hackenberg. That is 14 weeks for Hackenberg and 8 weeks for Petty. What the hell have they been? playing cards?

I know Chargers have strong defense and Jets' OL being bad but Petty has to show that he is not a pitcher.  Downhill throw for 5-9 yards?  Jesus!

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I watched this game and I was unhappy about qb situation.  Petty has 2 years under pro and he played like a struggling rookie. Footwork broke down too quick to be an average qb.  I can't imagine if Jets played Hackenberg instead.  Jeremy Bates needs to go.  Dump Morton if he refuses to let his friend go.

McCown doesn't require any extra help from coaches so it is natural for Bates the qb coach to spend extra time with Petty and Hackenberg. That is 14 weeks for Hackenberg and 8 weeks for Petty. What the hell have they been? playing cards?

I know Chargers have strong defense and Jets' OL being bad but Petty has to show that he is not a pitcher.  Downhill throw for 5-9 yards?  Jesus!

I mean Petty or Hack could just be bad too, that seems pretty reasonable.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Didn't you hear? Petty is working on his footwork and accuracy! He is confident he can fix both issues by his second start. [sarcasm]

I wonder what in the world he's been working on over the last two years. Sigh. The Jets QB situation has to be the worse situation in the league.  

BTW - Petty and Hack are good examples of why you should be hesitant to draft QB's that need to be "fixed". It's hard to retrain a player who has been playing a certain way his entire life. It's one thing to draft a player who you feel wasn't put in the right system or put in a position to succeed, it's another to draft a player who has bad mechanics and think things are going to change with better coaching. I mean these guys get elite coaching at the college level as well. Plus they likely have been going to QB camps for half their lives.

Calling my inner Dennis Green:  "They are who we thought they were."

Man the Jets are bad at drafting QB's. During my time as a fan (circa 1998), the Jets have drafted the immortals Chrisian Hackenberg (2nd Round), Bryce Petty (4th Round), Tajh Boyd (6th Round), Geno Smith (2nd Round), Greg McElroy (7th Round), Mark Sanchez (1st Round), Erik Ainge (5th Round), Kellen Clemens (2nd Round), Brooks Bollinger (6th Round), Chad Pennington (1st Round). Had it not been for injuries, Chad is the only hit in close to 20 years.

In our history, we've never tried drafting a QB in the 3rd Round. That might be the key to finding our franchise QB. 

Sorry for those who have been fans longer.

During that time the Falcons have hit on 2 QBs (Vick and Ryan). They also drafted  Matt Schaub who had a few good years in Houston.

28 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Man the Jets are bad at drafting QB's. During my time as a fan (circa 1998), the Jets have drafted the immortals Chrisian Hackenberg (2nd Round), Bryce Petty (4th Round), Tajh Boyd (6th Round), Geno Smith (2nd Round), Greg McElroy (7th Round), Mark Sanchez (1st Round), Erik Ainge (5th Round), Kellen Clemens (2nd Round), Brooks Bollinger (6th Round), Chad Pennington (1st Round). Had it not been for injuries, Chad is the only hit in close to 20 years.

In our history, we've never tried drafting a QB in the 3rd Round. That might be the key to finding our franchise QB. 

Sorry for those who have been fans longer.

During that time the Falcons have hit on 2 QBs (Vick and Ryan). They also drafted  Matt Schaub who had a few good years in Houston.

Problem is only one of those guys did we truly go all in on and that was Sanchez who had his moments as well.  For a team so desperate for a QB all these years we have only taken one in the top 10.  It's about time we go and get our guy.  We can't sit back and hope one falls into our laps in the mid rounds, go get your guy no matter what.  LA and PHI did and they are all of a sudden contending teams just like that.  

56 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

BTW - Petty and Hack are good examples of why you should be hesitant to draft QB's that need to be "fixed". It's hard to retrain a player who has been playing a certain way his entire life. It's one thing to draft a player who you feel wasn't put in the right system or put in a position to succeed, it's another to draft a player who has bad mechanics and think things are going to change with better coaching. I mean these guys get elite coaching at the college level as well. Plus they likely have been going to QB camps for half their lives.

Calling my inner Dennis Green:  "They are who we thought they were."

Not all great college QB's will be great pros but how many awful college QB's become great pros practically none I'd say.

This is exactly why Hack is where he is and why I would run far away from Allen.  We better not draft another "he has all the tools" QB we just need to groom him.  Go get me a hardworking walk on QB who lit up loaded defenses like OSU and can throw with the best of them.  Go get me the most talented QB since Vick who can light teams up with his arm and his legs.

Don't go get me a guy who is tall with a strong arm and start making excuses why he struggled in college.

19 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

If Morton is back as OC than Hack has a wayyyy better chance than starting over any rookie not named Rosen (maybe Darnold too). I don’t think some of you realize the big difference between the OU offense and our offense and just as much if not more so for Louisville offense to ours. Regardless of skill set those 2 need atleast 1 season to able to adjust to an NFL offense.

That being said if McCown returns than Hack has an upslope to start Week 1 even after being in the system for more than a year.

Dude...you have to be out of your mind seriously. Christian Hackenberg is ATROCIOUS. He has ZERO chance of starting next year...ZERO. You can count on 1 hand how many times hes actually even been active! Anyone they bring in will immediately be above him on the depth chart. Any rookie QB we draft will also likely be ahead of him. Doesn't matter who the OC is. He barely gets reps because he hasn't even earned any. Hack has a better chance of being cut outright than he has a chance of being our week one starter. You have to give it up man. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Dude...you have to be out of your mind seriously. Christian Hackenberg is ATROCIOUS. He has ZERO chance of starting next year...ZERO. You can count on 1 hand how many times hes actually even been active! Anyone they bring in will immediately be above him on the depth chart. Any rookie QB we draft will also likely be ahead of him. Doesn't matter who the OC is. He barely gets reps because he hasn't even earned any. Hack has a better chance of being cut outright than he has a chance of being our week one starter. You have to give it up man. 

Petty will get cut not Hack 1st off. And Hack was 3rd in the depth chart. It’s pointless to have 3 active QBs on game day with so many needs at other spots and ST. So him not being active doesn’t mean anything.

Archived