Team Needs?

Ghostnote

• 3 weeks later...

1. DE/OLB - Trey Flowers is good but has been inconsistent. We'll see what Derek Rivers can do next year. Otherwise, I'd love to see them get another explosive rusher like Chandler Jones was. The Patriots have struggled with third-down defense and that starts with pressure and setting an edge.

2. DT - Malcom Brown is solid but behind him is lacking. Branch has regressed and Vincent Valentine hasn't shown much. If the Patriots can get another Vince Wilfork (a little wishful thinking there), then the run defense will be much improved.

3. ILB - Dont'a Hightower is an elite linebacker but isn't a true off-the-ball linebacker. Covering RBs out of the backfield with an ILB has been terrible this year for New England, and they should try to land an athletic inside linebacker who can cover and rush, like Philly's Jordan Hicks or LA's Jatavis Brown.

4. QB - Brady is not going to last another average career length. The Patriots need to start looking for a replacement. One guy I think could be an option is Washington State's Luke Falk. His scouting report is similar to Garoppolo's, he just lacks some athleticism. He's a very accurate QB with a quick release, and he could be a bargain after a relatively poor senior season. The Patriots could do for him what they did for Garoppolo.

5. OL - Cannon has been hurt, and you can never have too much on the O-line. Hopefully Tony Garcia can be something. Inside we might need some backup. Shaq Mason is elite but Thuney has struggled.

6. CB - Butler will be gone in all likelihood. Bademosi had played well but likely won't be a great option. Gilmore has been decent. The Patriots could use another physical, sticky corner like Butler.

7. WR - Edelman's 31. It's time to start grooming his replacement.

8. TE - Bennett will likely be gone, and the Patriots need a receiving threat as a no. 2 TE.

9. KR/PR - An explosive, specialized returner would be better than risking Edelman and Lewis, who aren't as explosive as some newly-drafted guys can be.

10. S - They need depth, but they have a good starting trio.

1. LB

2. DT

3. OT

4. EDGE

5. QB

4 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

7. TE - Bennett is unlikely to return, and the Patriots would love to get back to their two-tight-end offense that wrecked the NFL before Hernandez... um... yeah.

Bennett is under contract through 2019.

1 minute ago, AlNFL19 said:

There's a chance he retires and we know Bill doesn't want him at a premium. He's a $6M cap hit per Spotrac. 

He backed off the retirement talk after the Pats scooped him up. He could get cut but there's so little talent in this coming draft and free agent class at the position that I expect Belichick will hang on to him.

1 minute ago, Starless said:

He backed off the retirement talk after the Pats scooped him up. He could get cut but there's so little talent in this coming draft and free agent class at the position that I expect Belichick will hang on to him.

I think "so little talent" isn't really true for this draft. Andrews, Goedert, and others offer some potential. Might hang on to him, we'll see. I hope they do.

4 minutes ago, Starless said:

Sign Jimmy Graham and finally recreate the Gronk/Hernandez duo? 

I joke, thats not happening....

12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Sign Jimmy Graham and finally recreate the Gronk/Hernandez duo? 

I joke, thats not happening....

Best guy who'll be available in free agency is Tyler Eifert, but he makes Gronk look like Tony Gonzalez in terms of durability.

Trey Burton is a guy who has the closest facsimile of Hernandez' (football) skill set. He could be a target.

Archived