Team Needs?

Ghostnote

2 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

The difference being the Ravens already having young, talented guys on the roster that should project into being better pass-rushers while right tackle is... Austin Howard. Unless Lewis moves there, which I'm still in-favor of. Unlikely though with Siragusa coming off a major injury of his own. 

Also, Judon is fine. If Bowser really develops and Williams is impactful as he should be (sans Pees), then the edge is good. Smith is pretty decent too. He's been a bit of an Antwan Barnes this year in creating a bunch of pressure but not finishing, but that's still useful. Especially as the 4th guy on the EDGE depth chart.

Don't disagree. Comes down to value and projection though, I also wonder if ZDS would be doing as well if taken out of that Antwan Barnes role. 

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Already having Arthur Brown was the argument for not drafting Mosley. I don’t think you can assume you don’t need a position until the guys you have actually show you something 

Judon is awesome though 

I don't think it's smart to continuously drafting the same position which leads to ignoring other, more obviously prominent deficiencies on the team either. At some point you just have to roll the dice and gamble on the young guys you've already invested in. Or you end up being the Ravens with their DL/offensive skill position imbalance fiasco. 

39 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

2. ILB- Correa was a horrid pick, and both Peanut and CJ are too soft. Mosley isn't worth the money he'll command and has become an uncomfortable conversation point.

The hell he isn't. I don't know what you are seeing.

But I'd like another strong piece next to him. It's so important to have guys that can cover AND take on blockers at that position and we only have one player like that. 

Just now, wackywabbit said:

But I'd like another strong piece next to him. It's so important to have guys that can cover AND take on blockers at that position and we only have one player like that. 

I'm not the only one who is seeing it. Some like Zrebiac have harped on injuries limiting his play, but I'm just not a believer. The splash plays he use to make aren't coming like they should to make up for him being a lacking physical presence. He just gets bullied way too much, and you can only have one ILB that commands money because only one is staying on the field in passing situations.

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Already having Arthur Brown was the argument for not drafting Mosley. I don’t think you can assume you don’t need a position until the guys you have actually show you something 

Judon is awesome though.

It's not about whether we should or should not draft an EDGE player in a vacuum, though.  The question is about what is the biggest need right now.  Suggs has 11 sacks this year and Judon has 7.  We have promising guys in Williams and Bowser.  That's a far better stocked position than what we have at RT right now.

Judon is a great two-way player that we use primarily to drop into coverage and play the run. You can NOT ever have too many pass rushers. I really like Bowser and I still don't FREAKING understand what this coaching staff has against him, because every game he plays in and gets snaps, he makes plays. Then they bench him and people go "oh well he's raw and needs to fine tune his game", and that's fine but he's largely one of our only pass rushers making plays right now. 

If you want a true project, look at Tim Williams. Pure twitch and speed off the edge, and not much else. Though with a proper D coordinator, you can utilize all of the talent and versatility we have on the edge. 

TL;DR --> I don't think OLB is a problem at all. The issue is how we're using the players, specifically Williams and Bowser.

16 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Who? Because Mosley's ability to cover has completely fallen off the charts this year.

1. WR- Easily the most needed position. Flacco is not a good enough QB to turn scrubs into gold, but what most people fail to realize, is that few QBs are. We need someone at the position that can attack the ball in the air and have the confidence to make plays.

2. TE- Similar to wideout. Flacco needs options. Ben Watson has been decently reliable for us, but he’s a free agent and we have nothing behind him worth fighting for. We need someone that can be an all around player. Can have them in during blocking sets but also motion them out to make plays.

3. LG/RT- It’s not just about the right tackle spot. We’re going to field the best group. Alex Lewis is versatile enough where can either kick in our outside as needed. But he will largely be replacing/upgrading that OL Swiss Army knife spot that has been occupied by James Hurst (who is a free agent). Marshal Yanda is approaching the twilight of his career as well. So for the OL this is the time where we could use a stud at guard or tackle and then have Lewis compete with the position that needs the most help.

4. ILB- I’ve been thinking about this more and more. The defense is missing “something” and we keep hearing about how our safeties are missing tackles and/or aren’t physical enough and that could largely be alievated with a physical linebacker. Mosley has been getting more and more banged up and started to make less splash plays since his running mate has gone from the old school thumper type of Darryl Smith/Albert McClellan (250 lbs) to a converted safety Patrick Onwauser (218 lbs). Zack Orr was his last quality running matter and he was 225 lbs. Having a better running mate that can help to take on blocks should reignite Mosley and allow him to cut a little weight to be more nimble in coverage.

5. CB- This is one of those positions where you’re covered until you’re not. Jimmy Smith will be a non factor next season as he recovers from a late 2017 season Achilles year, Brandon Carr is starting to show his age, and Tavon Young was a small quick twitch player that is coming back from a torn acl, I’m not sold on him being reliable until he is. Maurice Canada has never had to step in and be one of “the guys” on a consistent basis as well. And the Steelers continue to be a wide receiver factory of sorts. So if it’s an arms race, we need to continue to add pieces. I’ll also hedge my bets that by adding a playmaking ILB and adding corner depth, the safety position will also “look better”.

At the end of the day most of our biggest weaknesses can be solved with playmakers. Be it offense or defense.

30 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Who? Because Mosley's ability to cover has completely fallen off the charts this year.

I kind of spoke about that in my post just now, but just remember back to what was it 2005 or so when Ray Lewis started to get a little banged up with a wrist injury and then a few other ailments because he was taking on more and more blocks? The organization then answered by drafting Haloti Ngata to keep him clean. Well I think Mosley is in the same boat. He has the big guys in front, but he has a jelly donut beside him. Mosley was never a “thumper” type and has had to add bulk (like Lewis) to be able to sustain the added abuse. I think if we add a bigger running mate Mosley can afford to shed some weight and go back to being as affective in coverage as he has been in the past. 

I wouldn't be in-favor of adding a "thumper" ILB next to Mosley. Not in a role that would lead to any amount of numerous snaps at least. It would be like cutting off a foot to fix an ingrown toenail (which is actually really painful, but still). Defenses can't afford to have guys who can't move in space occupying the middle of the field. They're going to get toasted. I mean Pees doesn't have anybody actually cover the middle of the field so it wouldn't be a huge liability in his most excellent scheme, but you want speed. You want athleticism. Unless you're talking about an elite prospect those things are generally mutually exclusive with strength and size at inside linebacker.

Whether it's good for Mosley individually or not the defense as a whole needs somebody mobile enough to drop back or stick with backs/tight ends running wherever. Can't just have one guy out there able to do that because then your scheme gets pretty limited and a lot of possible pre-snap adjustments are thrown out the window. I will give Pees credit for running way more dime looks this season, I think that's been the biggest factor in the defense sometimes looking so good. Nothing else has changed in terms of his play calling style or overall scheme, but hey getting the right personnel to match up with modern offenses is a huge step in the right direction. 

Not saying that inside linebacker isn't a need, because it mostly is (Onwuasor is okay), but count me as a big oh hell no to an inside linebacker on the field that's only there to take on blocks. 

a sure handed WR to accompany the obligatory vet addition.

a safety-blanket at TE like Pitta, doesn't even need to be good at blocking. sure handed, please.

an OG to groom behind Yanda, an OT to groom behind Howard.

a RB if one of the top guys drop to our 3rd round pick.

go full offense, defense will be good with a new DC and the Ravens know how to find gems in later rounds or undrafted guys to develop into a starting caliber ILB.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I kind of spoke about that in my post just now, but just remember back to what was it 2005 or so when Ray Lewis started to get a little banged up with a wrist injury and then a few other ailments because he was taking on more and more blocks? The organization then answered by drafting Haloti Ngata to keep him clean. Well I think Mosley is in the same boat. He has the big guys in front, but he has a jelly donut beside him. Mosley was never a “thumper” type and has had to add bulk (like Lewis) to be able to sustain the added abuse. I think if we add a bigger running mate Mosley can afford to shed some weight and go back to being as affective in coverage as he has been in the past. 

I echo what @coordinator0 said - we don't need a thumper next to him. In today's NFL, you need linebackers who can play sideline to sideline. If our DL can't keep our ILB's clean, that's on them. Not sure what adding a thumper would do for Mosley to negate that. Our defense should be aiming to get faster, not slower.

Mosley should not be adding weight to play the run. He should not be bulking up to be a "thumper" because Onwuasor isn't. He should be working on his speed/agility/coverage ability so that he's not an absolute liability in coverage.

54 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

@coordinator0He should not be bulking up to be a "thumper" because Onwuasor isn't. He should be working on his speed/agility/coverage ability so that he's not an absolute liability in coverage.

Lets hope for a new DC who does not try to form his players into something they're not and let them play their strengths.

9 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Lets hope for a new DC who does not try to form his players into something they're not and let them play their strengths.

I mean how insane does it sound to say that our best ILB should be changing his entire physique because he can't stay clean in the run game AFTER we just paid a DT a massive contract? If we can't keep Mosley clean with Brandon Williams, Michael Pierce, and <insert whoever is starting at DE this week here>, what are we even doing?

I'd rather have our ILB's struggle in the run game to get off blocks than struggle to move around the field in general. At least with the former you can solve that with scheme and better players up front (something we thrive at doing). The latter, you really fail at most aspects of the modern game.

Archived