Team Needs?

Ghostnote

On 12/17/2017 at 8:10 PM, TheVillain112 said:
  • Center
  • LT
  • RG
  • RT
  • QB

I was with you until you hit QB.  I don't mind if people want to replace Andy, but he's not a top 5 need.

The offensive line positions you named, plus LB, sunk the '17 team more than the QB.  Way more.  

I'd also like to throw WR in the hat.  I know they just took Ross, but Lafell needs to go, and Malone is still unproven.

12 minutes ago, theJ said:

I was with you until you hit QB.  I don't mind if people want to replace Andy, but he's not a top 5 need.

The offensive line positions you named, plus LB, sunk the '17 team more than the QB.  Way more.  

I'd also like to throw WR in the hat.  I know they just took Ross, but Lafell needs to go, and Malone is still unproven.

LBs are a dime a dozen.  We have Burfict, Vigil, and Evans (yes i'm still on the Evans bandwagon).  We can find depth in FA or late in the draft.  We don't need to spend a high pick on one.  As for QB, we should trade McCarron for whatever we can get in the offseason (hopefully a 3rd).  Then if Baker Mayfield is still around with our 1st pick, we should take him.

There has been a shift in the NFL QB position that I don't think people are realizing (not to sound condescending).  You have to have the ability to move in the pocket to buy time, while keeping your eyes downfield to make a play.  Guys like Watson and Wentz have leapfrogged the old guard  Eli, Flacco, Rivers, etc... because they can do that.  IF you need an elite OL to be a good QB, good luck.  There's a lot of bad OLinemen in the NFL now and only so much supply coming from the college ranks to fix that.  So the best strategy IMHO is to load up on not only OL but QBs that move in the pocket and make accurate throws on the move.  Andy Dalton is not that...

1 minute ago, TheVillain112 said:

LBs are a dime a dozen.  We have Burfict, Vigil, and Evans (yes i'm still on the Evans bandwagon).  We can find depth in FA or late in the draft.  We don't need to spend a high pick on one.  As for QB, we should trade McCarron for whatever we can get in the offseason (hopefully a 3rd).  Then if Baker Mayfield is still around with our 1st pick, we should take him.

There has been a shift in the NFL QB position that I don't think people are realizing (not to sound condescending).  You have to have the ability to move in the pocket to buy time, while keeping your eyes downfield to make a play.  Guys like Watson and Wentz have leapfrogged the old guard  Eli, Flacco, Rivers, etc... because they can do that.  IF you need an elite OL to be a good QB, good luck.  There's a lot of bad OLinemen in the NFL now and only so much supply coming from the college ranks to fix that.  So the best strategy IMHO is to load up on not only OL but QBs that move in the pocket and make accurate throws on the move.  Andy Dalton is not that...

I guess it depends on how you want to build your team.  The Vikings are a good example of a team doing it the "old way" and finding success.  You mentioned the Texans and Eagles.  They're having success with the new breed of QB.

Personally i'm ok with either, i'm just not sure i'd say it's a top 5 team.

As for LB's being a dime a dozen - it's sure be nice if the Bengals had found more than one dime in the last 8 years.

Just now, theJ said:

I guess it depends on how you want to build your team.  The Vikings are a good example of a team doing it the "old way" and finding success.  You mentioned the Texans and Eagles.  They're having success with the new breed of QB.

Personally i'm ok with either, i'm just not sure i'd say it's a top 5 team.

As for LB's being a dime a dozen - it's sure be nice if the Bengals had found more than one dime in the last 8 years.

That's Marvin Lewis' fault.  He cares about LBs that can cover on Special teams.  Vinny Rey has sucked but will keep his job while Marvin is around.

There's probably 3 elite LB units in the NFL Panthers, Jaguars, and Seahawks.  Besides them Patriots, Steelers, Falcons, Packers, Texans, Rams, Buffalo, Ravens, Eagles, Titans, Chargers, Saints, etc...  A lot of the playoff teams have good but not great LB Units.  Is ours really that much worse than any of those that I listed? 

I think having a stud MLB can make a huge difference personally. 

As for a new QB, well I’m torn. I don’t think Andy is the main problem, but I do agree that maybe change is needed. He doesn’t have that swag type leadership that a lot of the great ones had. I’m not against Baker Mayfield because I think he’s gonna be pretty good, I just don’t know if I’d risk a 1st on him, and for sure not a top 10 pick. I’m also in agreement that college just isn’t pumping out stud offensive lineman anymore, but I also think a lot has to do with our blocking scheme. We need a complete overhaul of the coaching staff. I just hope that the new group coming in doesn’t do something stupid like switch to a 3-4 defense or something. 

6 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I'll back track a bit.  We have a stud LB in Burfict, we don't need another stud LB.  Vigil and Evans are fine.  So no need to spend a high/mid pick for a depth guy...

A true stud LB that can cover will do far more to improve the defense than a new QB will do as an upgrade on offense.  I'd take Roquan over any QB right now for that reason alone (obviously trade back and spend a non-top 7 pick on Roquan... also pick up another second rounder when doing so).

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

A true stud LB that can cover will do far more to improve the defense than a new QB will do as an upgrade on offense.  I'd take Roquan over any QB right now for that reason alone (obviously trade back and spend a non-top 7 pick on Roquan... also pick up another second rounder when doing so).

I love Roquan but if we take a LB over OL help or a QB, that's a dumb move.  We ignored OL in the last draft, we can't ignore it again...

49 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

Please no Baker (johnny football) Mayfield...

OL..pick a position 

LB

Safety

Don't hate on Drew Brees after 4 shots of Jack.

Also, I'm fine with taking OL instead of a QB.  Hell, I'd be fine if EVERY single pick in the draft was used on the OL.  My problem is if we take a LB over a QB (unless it's late in the draft), I'll be disappointed.  Case Keenum is an outlier.  In the game against us, I read somewhere how he had 236 yards passing but like 187 of those yards were YAC.  We need to upgrade at the QB position...

Archived