Chargers Trading Keenan Allen to the Bears for a 4th Round Pick

BobbyPhil1781

8 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Approaching Allen to take a paycut after the year that he just had is so disrespectful.

Well, they did get away with it, doing it to Joey (perennially injured) and Mack (who also had a great season)... 

I would understand this move better, before FA, right now you have 20M, but it's all slim pickings.

19 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Well, they did get away with it, doing it to Joey (perennially injured) and Mack (who also had a great season)... 

I would understand this move better, before FA, right now you have 20M, but it's all slim pickings.

Approaching an underachieving/perenially injured player is one thing, but Allen has surprisingly been very durable and an elite WR for years. It'd be one thing if they were able to get draft capable in return (like they did with Mack), but they got a 4th rounder. LOL.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Nice to hear.  Always sucks when you pick up a player and his teams fans are like - suckers.  

Better when they are mourning. 

You'll feel the KA bump in your offense. Suddenly all of your drives go into the RZ, and you're instantly one of the better 3rd and 4th down teams in the league. 

Also, despite his age, his speed was never his main weapon, and his skillet is extremely persistent.

If he wants, he can keep playing pretty late into his 30s.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, kramxel said:

This is what I think. Wonder if they also try to bring Mike back on a cheaper deal.

2 minutes ago, kramxel said:

You'll feel the KA bump in your offense. Suddenly all of your drives go into the RZ, and you're instantly one of the better 3rd and 4th down teams in the league. 

Also, despite his age, his speed was never his main weapon, and his skillet is extremely persistent.

If he wants, he can keep playing pretty late into his 30s.

I was watching his highlights and thinking exact same thing.   Main concern is injuries.  

1 hour ago, kramxel said:

It might be 10 if they do draft Alt at 5.

The Harbaugh honeymoon period is definitely over.

I wanted a trade down to 11 and grab JPJ. A long term at center would hopefully bring this team together like Hardwick. Now I’m looking at an offense with the #1 option being Palmer. I love Palmer. You guys know that but he is a #3 or 4 option in any competitive offense. Minter has his work cut out for him, this defense is going to have to reach the Staley level expectations for us to have a chance in 2024. 

I thought for sure KA13 would extend and finish his career out here. Now we’ve lost the rich man’s McCardell, MWilly is gone… receiver at 5 and no additional picks is rough. So many holes to fill. 

i hate the move but it’s really hard seeing this team be worse this season than under Staley. Just got to trust the process I guess. Chicago got a steal though. KA13 is an amazing player, teammate and person. 

5 hours ago, kramxel said:

The more I think about it, the less sense it makes.

You've already lost the FA train, at this stage, and you're basically forcing yourself to take a WR at 5, thus eliminating the ideal scenario of a trade down.... really struggle to see any upside on this move.

Also, if Chargers take Joe Alt at 5, after all of this, here might be actual riots in LA.

They could easily trade down with Minnesota and still land a WR at #11 / #23 /#37

• Like 1

Perfect situation for Caleb Williams to go to and fail miserably because he is a dud yet the Bears did all they could for him. 

They would be smarter having a real coach to help Fields and get a haul of picks from #1 to set them up for multiple years of 2+ picks in the first.  Plus whoever gets Caleb will likely be a bottom 5 team for a few years until they move on from him so those picks should be pretty good. 

• Like 1