Team Needs?

Ghostnote

I can list some positions we'd be happy to have young talent at. This can change depending on how far we get this season and if we sign any guys or let them walk. 

TE - Lewis is on the backside of his career. The other guys are just suitable, but not good.

RT - We have an older player there and we could use a young guy to take over afterwards. 

G - He's not bad and we are not dying for a replacement, but competition would be nice. 

SLB - Not a dire need because he wouldn't be on the field often. 

SS - Someone to eventually replace Church. 

RB - Only if we let Ivory Walk

WR - Only if we let either Lee or Robinson Walk 

The top 3 for sure, but the rest is sketchy. I'm sure someone will chime in. 

I'd say the for sure ones are...

-TE: need some youth there, Marcedes is getting extremely old and the rest are just guys.

-Interior OLine: LG or RG could use a starter upgrade, maybe both...or could use a C upgrade and move Linder back to G.  But some sort of higher-end talent for the interior.

Then there are the spots that are really up in the air, depending on what happens with guys we have and how they play out the year, and which guys we're going to end up retaining/re-signing.  Unlikely to all be significant needs, but some combination of them likely need to be filled depending on who is kept/let go.

-CB: probably need a nickle starter if they can't find the right price to keep Colvin.  Plus depth at the position.

-WR: not really clear if ARob will be re-signed for sure, or exactly how well he'll come back from his injury.  Or if guys like Hurns and Lee will still be around.  Might be a non-need, or might skyrocket to the top of the list if a lot of things go sideways through the offseason.

-RT: Parnell has been pretty adequate when healthy, but isn't young and i think we're almost certainly in the market for at least a backup/swing tackle type with some upside.

-LB: probably need some sort of replacement for Poz.  Even if he does end up re-signed to a cheap extension or something, gonna want to get a young guy in there to groom as depth.  2 great starters, but not a lot of proven or top quality depth behind them.

and then there's the biggun'...

-QB: right now, doesn't look like it the way Bortles has played lately...but QB is always going to be a discussion until Bortles proves it's not.  And if that becomes a need, it automatically moves to the top of the list.

On 12/17/2017 at 7:10 PM, Tugboat said:

I'd say the for sure ones are...

-TE: need some youth there, Marcedes is getting extremely old and the rest are just guys.

-Interior OLine: LG or RG could use a starter upgrade, maybe both...or could use a C upgrade and move Linder back to G.  But some sort of higher-end talent for the interior.

Then there are the spots that are really up in the air, depending on what happens with guys we have and how they play out the year, and which guys we're going to end up retaining/re-signing.  Unlikely to all be significant needs, but some combination of them likely need to be filled depending on who is kept/let go.

-CB: probably need a nickle starter if they can't find the right price to keep Colvin.  Plus depth at the position.

-WR: not really clear if ARob will be re-signed for sure, or exactly how well he'll come back from his injury.  Or if guys like Hurns and Lee will still be around.  Might be a non-need, or might skyrocket to the top of the list if a lot of things go sideways through the offseason.

-RT: Parnell has been pretty adequate when healthy, but isn't young and i think we're almost certainly in the market for at least a backup/swing tackle type with some upside.

-LB: probably need some sort of replacement for Poz.  Even if he does end up re-signed to a cheap extension or something, gonna want to get a young guy in there to groom as depth.  2 great starters, but not a lot of proven or top quality depth behind them.

and then there's the biggun'...

-QB: right now, doesn't look like it the way Bortles has played lately...but QB is always going to be a discussion until Bortles proves it's not.  And if that becomes a need, it automatically moves to the top of the list.

Pretty much this.

I'd be on board with a TE in the late 1st if there's one worthy. Think that would go a long way for us offensively. Otherwise I'd like to see an OG/QB if we decide to move on from Blake/want a guy behind Blake in case.

1. I want this team to continue to dominate up front I think we a space eating DT I think bottoms the first would be a good area to acquire one. 

2. I want an interior lineman OG.

3. I want a legit corner that we can get trained up behind Jalen and AJ.

4.I want another LB we are solid there now but there is nothing behind Telvin and Myles. Blair is up and coming but if we can up grade there we need to.

5 I want a safety. 

16 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

1. I want this team to continue to dominate up front I think we a space eating DT I think bottoms the first would be a good area to acquire one. 

I definitely think we need depth here. But with Malik and Dareus there, do we need to spend a first on it? I’d rather spend a first on the successor for CC and then come back to DT with a mid-round pick.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Pretty much this.

I'd be on board with a TE in the late 1st if there's one worthy. Think that would go a long way for us offensively. Otherwise I'd like to see an OG/QB if we decide to move on from Blake/want a guy behind Blake in case.

I haven't really seen any TEs i'd call worthy of that pick this year.  It's not like last year with a pair of absolutely elite blue chip guys.

In part, i don't even know that i'd necessarily call TE a 1st round need anyway.  The way this offense is set up to run with Bortles and Fournette, i think the type of TE we're likely in the market for isn't so much that special athlete "matchup nightmare" move type guy that teams tend to place that premium on really.  More of a "ho hum" inline blocker type who can get out in some routes and work the middle when called upon is probably more of the need.  A real Marcedes replacement.  Could end up more than happy with more of a Day 2 sort of guy like a Dalton Schultz or Troy Fumagalli.

Of course, that might change if we were to end up moving on from Bobby Bortles.  When the talk was all about Alex Smith for example, i think you'd have to then take the search for a real TE weapon even more seriously, because of the sort of offense you'd want to set Smith up in and how much he <3 his TEs.  But otherwise...i think it's probably more of a Day 2 sort of priority.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

I definitely think we need depth here. But with Malik and Dareus there, do we need to spend a first on it? I’d rather spend a first on the successor for CC and then come back to DT with a mid-round pick.

Yeah.  No problem with grabbing depth at whatever position really.  Always have to be bolstering depth with affordable talent with "upside".  But with all the money tied up on DLine interior and the starter quality guys we have there, and the rotation as a whole...i wouldn't call DT a top tier need with a premium sort of pick this summer.

17 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

But I think that they will have a major decision to make somehow I don't see them paying both Malik and Dareus next year. Thats why I think we are going to have a depth issue there next year. 

Malik has been amazing. No way is he the one leaving. Without Dareus our run D was pretty bad. 

IDK, wouldn't shock me if we kept both.

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Malik has been amazing. No way is he the one leaving. Without Dareus our run D was pretty bad. 

IDK, wouldn't shock me if we kept both.

I think we keep both.  Cutting Dareus saves us like 3 million. Thats clearly not worth cutting. Cutting jackson saves like 9 million but i dont think we will nearly be as active in free agency outside of a few replacement signings if that. 

What we need to do is start Dareus at nt and let abry be the 3rd dt

Keep the whole D-Line intact. Idc how much they are making. A Campbell-Dareus-Malik-Ngakoue front 4 is the best in the NFL. 

We have to get better depth in general. We are very top heavy. 

We have been lucky when it comes to injuries this season besides the WR position it seems like. Oh yea and long snapper.

Archived