Is Aaron Donald now the greatest DT of all time?

Is Aaron Donald now the greatest DT of all time?   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is Aaron Donald now the greatest DT of all time?

• Mean Joe Green
    • Aaron Donald
    • Alan Page
    • Other

4 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Just based on my eye that didn't see Donald that often. For example Greg Roman's Ravens simply humiliated Donald's defenses because they were so undisciplined. Rams defenses generally weren't that good during Donald's tenure. It's easier for a guy to put up stats on a mediocre defense by shooting the gaps rather than play discipline gap control on run fits.

The bolded makes sense. I'd recommend actually going back and watching his tape because your assessment of the player is just flat out wrong.  If anything, Donald should've had better stats if other players around him could win their battles consistently instead of have 2-3 guys on him every play.

Plus, you can't blame one player (let alone a defensive tackle) for an entire unit underperforming. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

The bolded makes sense. I'd recommend actually going back and watching his tape because your assessment of the player is just flat out wrong.  If anything, Donald should've had better stats if other players around him could win their battles consistently instead of have 2-3 guys on him every play.

Plus, you can't blame one player (let alone a defensive tackle) for an entire unit underperforming. 

IDK, my assessment of Donald is that he's arguably the greatest DT of all time but I'm not ready to put him as clear cut no. 1.

I do like my DTs to be able to play 2-gap scheme so I am impressed with players like Ngata or Suh as well.

As far as penetrating DTs (or under tackles) are concerned, Donald is obviously cream of the crop. But I consider DT to be primarily a position devoted to run defense so I value his sacks less than others, perhaps. 

50 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

IDK, my assessment of Donald is that he's arguably the greatest DT of all time but I'm not ready to put him as clear cut no. 1.

I do like my DTs to be able to play 2-gap scheme so I am impressed with players like Ngata or Suh as well.

As far as penetrating DTs (or under tackles) are concerned, Donald is obviously cream of the crop. But I consider DT to be primarily a position devoted to run defense so I value his sacks less than others, perhaps. 

I guess that's fair. I still don't think you are painting and accurate picture of his rush defense though. 

3 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Page played against scrubs who were smoking during halftime. Donald played against the premier physical specimen of his era. It's not even close.

Yeah, and if players today made peanuts, they'd be working as cashiers, and cab drivers in the offseason too. Just like Page did. 

Everyone has the advantages, and disadvantages of their era. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yeah, and if players today made peanuts, they'd be working as cashiers, and cab drivers in the offseason too. Just like Page did. 

Everyone has the advantages, and disadvantages of their era. 

What’s your argument as to why Donald isn’t ? I just want to know. What in your opinion did he need? 

also, Kelce talking about Donald. 43 min mark. 

IMG-1363.png

Edited by El Ramster

Alan page had HOF teammates. You can’t tell me one HOF Donald played with let alone 3 during his prime. You won’t name them and can’t, and when you do you’ll not wanna say it. We saw what he did when he had Von. Von enjoyed the most success in a 2-3 year period. And that was for like 8 games. Imagine if he had that for 5-8 years. Those numbers would be even more nuts. 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2024 at 4:59 PM, El Ramster said:

Alan page had HOF teammates. You can’t tell me one HOF Donald played with let alone 3 during his prime. You won’t name them and can’t, and when you do you’ll not wanna say it. We saw what he did when he had Von. Von enjoyed the most success in a 2-3 year period. And that was for like 8 games. Imagine if he had that for 5-8 years. Those numbers would be even more nuts. 

Donald's quotes upon retiring are telling:

"I'm complete, I'm full. I think the passion to play the game is no longer there for me... I'm burnt out... I'm full... I'm satisfied"

He played his position as well as you could possibly play it, but he was no leader, no gamer, just a guy doing a job. Can you imagine Ray Lewis saying some weak sh*t like that after only playing 10 seasons and getting only 1 Super Bowl? Sorry but leadership counts if you want to be consider a GOAT.

So pretty crazy AD has been listed at 285 since he was drafted. In his video about retiring he admits that after his rookie year he played at 260-265 lbs and hadn't been near 285 since his rookie year. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Donald's quotes upon retiring are telling:

"I'm complete, I'm full. I think the passion to play the game is no longer there for me... I'm burnt out... I'm full... I'm satisfied"

He played his position as well as you could possibly play it, but he was no leader, no gamer, just a guy doing a job. Can you imagine Ray Lewis saying some weak sh*t like that after only playing 10 seasons and getting only 1 Super Bowl? Sorry but leadership counts if you want to be consider a GOAT.

They didn't seem to have trouble following his lead after that speech in the NFC Championship.

Just because he's not obsessed to the point of running his body into the ground doesn't make him a poor leader.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 2:57 PM, fattlipp said:

Bruce Smith #1…. Even John Randall belongs in the discussion for sure…

Smith was a 3-4 DE which equals a 4-3 DT IMO.

In that case JJ Watt should be considered a DT too.

JJ Watt I think might be the one player this generation who, at their peak, was slightly better than Donald.