Team Needs?

Ghostnote

1. HC

2. OC

3. Get healthy in the secondary

4. WRs that can catch

5. DC depending on how Pagano does the next couple of games.

Hard to tell what we need since we do not know how our team will perform with competent coaching.  Just players I would say:

1. NT 2. ILB 3. WR 4. LT/RT 5. Slot CB

Sans Mack (potentially) the majority of the long-term money is tied up in the offense. Hence, the defense must be built to play with the lead forcing opponents to air it out to get back in the game. That doesn't work if defense isn't in the upper percentile in QB pressures and can't cover TEs/middle of the field.

1) Edge

2) Edge

3) Edge

4) Coverage LB

5) OTotF

13 minutes ago, Baggabonez said:

Sans Mack (potentially) the majority of the long-term money is tied up in the offense. Hence, the defense must be built to play with the lead forcing opponents to air it out to get back in the game. That doesn't work if defense isn't in the upper percentile in QB pressures and can't cover TEs/middle of the field.

1) Edge

2) Edge

3) Edge

4) Coverage LB

5) OTotF

Your wrong Baggz!!!! You trying to turn us into the Colts without Manning.

?

If we don’t re-sign Carrie, CB becomes a priority as Smith is unlikely to stay. LT as a long term replacement for Penn. WR would be up there as well as this season has proved we need more talent at the position. NT if we don’t re-sign Ellis. ILB if we don’t re-sign Bowman.

1. Corner: Unless they both agree to severely restricting their contract, both Sean Smith and David Amerson will be cut this offseason. To further the need, T.J. Carrie, this season's and arguably last season's best corner (also slot corner), is scheduled to become a free agent. It is likely the position will be addressed both through free agency and in the draft.

2. Complimentary pass rusher: It was only a few weeks ago that the Raiders were again at the bottom in total sacks. While there has been a brief surge in production after player a couple bad offenses in the Broncos and Giants, it's clear the team lacks pass rush productivity outside of Khalil Mack. This need is two fold. The team needs both an interior pass rusher and an edge player who can more consistently rush the passer than Bruce Irvin. 

3. Offensive tackle: While rumors of Donald Penn's lackluster play have been greatly exaggerated, the 34-year old is entering the final year of his contract and isn't getting any younger. The team drafted David Sharpe in the 4th round in 2017, but I don't expect him to develop into anything beyond a swing tackle/depth player. The team will either have to reach into free agency again for a starter in 2018, or draft someone this year who could contribute and develop at right tackle in Penn's final season.

4. Receiver: When Cordarrelle Patterson has been nearly the best and most reliable receiver all year, it's safe to say receiver is an area of need. Seth Roberts was a bust extension this offseason and he might be cut despite his relatively diminutive salary. Amari Cooper has been a big part of the offense's stagnation and Michael Crabtree is likely entering the waning portion of his career as he plays into his 30s. I believe the receiver focus should be for a developmental #2 or slot player. 

5. Runningback: While Marshawn Lynch has been solid this season, I believe both an heir and complimentary player is needed. Neither Richard or Washington are good starters and this draft offers a few good options throughout. I believe this needs should be addressed exclusively through the draft. 

Nose tackle and linebacker are needs as well, but I don't see either position being as important or difficult to find as the above. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2017 at 2:45 PM, Nodisrespect said:

Your wrong Baggz!!!! You trying to turn us into the Colts without Manning.

?

I don't understand your POV. Can you clarify how I am making the Raiders into the Colts sans Manning?

The consensus is this defense was built to play with a lead. It's not a surprise that as the pass rush has improved Sean Smith has become arguably the best player in the secondary. When this defense was clicking on all cylinders Mack was playing opposite Aldo Smith. Bruce Irvin needs a scheme to generate a pass rush.

brief State of Raider roster going into roster to help determine needs

Offense

QB: Carr   - having a down year, but I personally think he is hurt... coaching staff has sucked, and offense has been a mess... We invested in Carr

- RB Lynch(31) Olewale- Lynch still has that burst, and has played better as the season has gone on. RBS usually break down after the age of 30, depth has been lacking. Richard had a sophmore slump, Washington is a scat back. A young stud RB would be welcomed. Olewale is a fine FB, who isn't utilized enough

WR: Cooper, Crabtree, Roberts - Cooper is having a bad season, but should bounce back. Crabtree has had an up and down year, but no one has really shined on offense. Roberts is a below average slot. Really didn't step up with injuries, drops too many passes. Patterson is more of a gadget player, and st stud. Another WR would be a welcome addition

TE: Cook, Walford-  Cook was actually the best free agent pickup this past off season. Walford, has flashed potential and the Raiders should have ran more two tight end sets. Even if Cook is 30 wouldn't invest a high pick here, since Walford has flashed. 

T: Penn(34), Newhouse, Sharpe, Alexander- Penn is old, and a long term replacement is a need at such a important position. Is Sharpe that man? He looked good in one game against a good Phlly defense. Newhouse is good depth, but a below average starting RT. Not sure if Sharpe and Alexander are the future? Tackle could be in play

G: KO, Jackson, Kirkland- one of the strength of the teams is interior olineman. KO made another pro bowl , and Jackson is a solid starter, both in their prime

C: Hudson, Feli- Hudson is a iron man and stud in his prime, Feli is good depth and can move around playing more than one position

Offense Needs: RB, WR, T

Defense

DE: Mack, Edwards, Autry , Ward- Mack is all world, but he needs more help. Defense is like surrounding Lebron around a bunch a player who can't hit a 3, need more playmakers. Autry might walk in free agency, Reggie has a history of letting players walk away rather than overpay. Mario Edwards has flashed potential, but his injuries starting to become concerning. Never looked as great as he did as a rookie. Ward actually made a couple plays, still hard to count on

DT:  Ellis, Vanderdoes, Hester, Latham - Ellis has been playing his butt off but is going to be a free agent.  Vanderdoes has been outplayed by 7th round rookie Hester. This group might be a unit that is revamped

OLB: Irvin, Morrow, James, Cowser, Calhoun- Irvin playing like a stud with the coaching change. Morrow has been a surprised rookie, but could be upgraded? James and Cowser decent depth. Team could use another stud OLB

MLB:  Bowman, Lee -  Bowman is a key player to sign back with the team. I didn't know he is younger than Irvin lol... I guess he lost a step, but can still shed blocks, great instincts, and leaves it all on the field. Could use a young player to groom behind him, Lee might be a career depth player

CB: Smith, Amerson, Carrie, Conely, Mcdonald, Hamilton- this unit could be revamped. Sean Smith has played better with the coaching change, but is still overpaid. Amerson was always getting burnt before his concussions(which might be a serious issue for him). Both could be gone, and I wouldn't overpay Carrie. Conely is a big unknown but we invested a first rounder in him. Mcdonald and Hamilton are nothing more than depth 

S: Joseph, Obi, Luani: Joseph hasn't been as bad as people make him out to be. Just stupid to match him up one on one with 6'5 tight ends. Joseph is an electric athlete, and likes to fly around and hit people. Obi is an unkown and hoepfully he can be the guy to matchup with tight ends and play SS. Luani should have had more playing time this year. Could use another safety if a creative DC wants to use Joseph is a non traditional role

with the above said... my current top 5

1) Explosive Edge Rusher- Be nice to have a defense to scare teams. If we had another elite pass rusher on the other side of Mack would be amazing. Bruce Irvin has been good but why not add another one

2) DT- need a blue chipper. Have some youth in Vanderdoes and Hester, but need a stud

3) CB- Drafted Conely in the first, but the unit still needs more talent

4) RB- Lynch is over 30 , could use a true understudy

5) WR- Too many drops from this unit, could upgrade the slot

Excluded but could be drafted high: T, LB, S I want to see more of Morrow and Sharpe

7 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Offense

QB: Carr   - having a down year, but I personally think he is hurt... coaching staff has sucked, and offense has been a mess... We invested in Carr

- RB Lynch(31) Olewale- Lynch still has that burst, and has played better as the season has gone on. RBS usually break down after the age of 30, depth has been lacking. Richard had a sophmore slump, Washington is a scat back. A young stud RB would be welcomed. Olewale is a fine FB, who isn't utilized enough

WR: Cooper, Crabtree, Roberts - Cooper is having a bad season, but should bounce back. Crabtree has had an up and down year, but no one has really shined on offense. Roberts is a below average slot. Really didn't step up with injuries, drops too many passes. Patterson is more of a gadget player, and st stud. Another WR would be a welcome addition

TE: Cook, Walford-  Cook was actually the best free agent pickup this past off season. Walford, has flashed potential and the Raiders should have ran more two tight end sets. Even if Cook is 30 wouldn't invest a high pick here, since Walford has flashed. 

T: Penn(34), Newhouse, Sharpe, Alexander- Penn is old, and a long term replacement is a need at such a important position. Is Sharpe that man? He looked good in one game against a good Phlly defense. Newhouse is good depth, but a below average starting RT. Not sure if Sharpe and Alexander are the future? Tackle could be in play

G: KO, Jackson, Kirkland- one of the strength of the teams is interior olineman. KO made another pro bowl , and Jackson is a solid starter, both in their prime

C: Hudson, Feli- Hudson is a iron man and stud in his prime, Feli is good depth and can move around playing more than one position

Defense

DE: Mack, Edwards, Autry , Ward- Mack is all world, but he needs more help. Defense is like surrounding Lebron around a bunch a player who can't hit a 3, need more playmakers. Autry might walk in free agency, Reggie has a history of letting players walk away rather than overpay. Mario Edwards has flashed potential, but his injuries starting to become concerning. Never looked as great as he did as a rookie. Ward actually made a couple plays, still hard to count on

DT:  Ellis, Vanderdoes, Hester, Latham - Ellis has been playing his butt off but is going to be a free agent.  Vanderdoes has been outplayed by 7th round rookie Hester. This group might be a unit that is revamped

OLB: Irvin, Morrow, James, Cowser, Calhoun- Irvin playing like a stud with the coaching change. Morrow has been a surprised rookie, but could be upgraded? James and Cowser decent depth. Team could use another stud OLB

MLB:  Bowman, Lee -  Bowman is a key player to sign back with the team. I didn't know he is younger than Irvin lol... I guess he lost a step, but can still shed blocks, great instincts, and leaves it all on the field. Could use a young player to groom behind him, Lee might be a career depth player

CB: Smith, Amerson, Carrie, Conely, Mcdonald, Hamilton- this unit could be revamped. Sean Smith has played better with the coaching change, but is still overpaid. Amerson was always getting burnt before his concussions(which might be a serious issue for him). Both could be gone, and I wouldn't overpay Carrie. Conely is a big unknown but we invested a first rounder in him. Mcdonald and Hamilton are nothing more than depth 

S: Joseph, Obi, Luani: Joseph hasn't been as bad as people make him out to be. Just stupid to match him up one on one with 6'5 tight ends. Joseph is an electric athlete, and likes to fly around and hit people. Obi is an unkown and hoepfully he can be the guy to matchup with tight ends and play SS. Luani should have had more playing time this year. Could use another safety if a creative DC wants to use Joseph is a non traditional role

How many threads are you going to post this in?

On 27/12/2017 at 3:06 AM, Humble_Beast said:

Offense

Defense

This is brief??? 

Archived