Sign in to follow this  
AnAngryAmerican

53 Man Roster Projection

21 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

This might sound crazy but does anyone feel tj ward could be traded or released? I mean Simmons I think is ready to start. An if Orion Stewart, and Carter keep balling out. Do we risk both being cleared for the practice squad?

OMG. No. 

Releasing Ward does nothing. We don't need the cap space savings (which would be $5.75 salary - $1.25m dead = $4.5m) and Ward is a lockerroom leader we need in what is a transition year. Simmons is the future but why get rid Pro Bowler for no reason at all when Simmons can play in sub packages and special teams and get even better for next year. Jamal Carter had a few nice plays in a preseason game against third- and fourth- stringers. 

I can't believe I even took time out of my day to respond to this. Completely asinine. 

52 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

OMG. No. 

Releasing Ward does nothing. We don't need the cap space savings (which would be $5.75 salary - $1.25m dead = $4.5m) and Ward is a lockerroom leader we need in what is a transition year. Simmons is the future but why get rid Pro Bowler for no reason at all when Simmons can play in sub packages and special teams and get even better for next year. Jamal Carter had a few nice plays in a preseason game against third- and fourth- stringers. 

I can't believe I even took time out of my day to respond to this. Completely asinine. 

My apologies, dumb question I know ward is a probowler but that's more of a formality of name recognition at this point. I also thought there were enough leaders on d to replace him. Also don't think the drop off from him to parks and simmons is huge. So if we could get a mid round pick for him, plus have 4.5 mill role over into next season that was a possibility. But, I respect your opinion.

In the words of billy madison a simple no would of done just fine.

Edited by thebestever6

BroncoBruin    11

Taking into consideration that Kelly, Butt and Carlos Henderson will all be on the team likely stashed on PUP/IR and not affecting roster spots for a while, these are my guesses for the guys I see as the bubble group fighting for for about 6 or 7 roster spots:

Kyle Sloter, Jamaal Charles/Stevan Ridley, Jordan Taylor/Kalif Raymond, Allen Barbre, Michael Schofield/Billy Turner, Kyle Peko/Tyrique Jarrett, Vontarrius Dora, Chris Lewis-Harris, Jamal Carter/Orion Stewart

Barbre seems simple, he either starts or he's cut and we recoup the draft pick. Similarly, Charles proves he has something left and makes it or doesn't and he's cut and Ridley would likely benefit from that. The only reason I list Sloter is because it occurs me that someone could try to steal him off a PS at some point. He's the least likely on the list to make the team in my opinion. With Raymond now coming on late, looks like he or Taylor could find an opening with the Henderson injury. If Barbre is cut, Schofield and Turner probably compete for the last spot on the offensive line.

With Winn down, unless someone is brought in it seems younger Peko and Jarrett will fight for the 6th D-Line spot (7th if you include Walker) with the loser a prime PS candidate. Vontarrius Dora will probably make the team out of need for bodies in Week 1, but he may be squeezed out pretty quickly once Ray and Barrett are back, as Walker gives them the luxury of an emergency 5th EDGE. With Harris it's a matter of whether they choose to carry six corners or not. That would come at the expense of a fifth safety, one of the undrafted rookies who have made a lot of plays. Carrying only 9 DBs is possible as well.

BroncoBruin    11

Zaire Anderson, Ty Sambrailo and Donald Stephenson stand out to me as virtual locks because there doesn't seem to be anyone behind them pushing for their jobs. 

21 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Zaire Anderson, Ty Sambrailo and Donald Stephenson stand out to me as virtual locks because there doesn't seem to be anyone behind them pushing for their jobs. 

I think the last spot on the OL depth chart will be between Stephenson and Schofield. The appeal of Schofield is he can play G and T, Stephenson is only a T. If we keep 9 OLs, I think it's Bolles, Watson and Sambrailo as OTs, Paradis as C, and Leary, Barbre, Garcia and McGovern as OGs with McGovern as a OG/C, leaving the last spot between Stephenson and Schofield. I'd wager Schofield gets the nod because of his aforementioned versatility but he and Garcia are the healthy scratches each week to get down to the game day roster of 46 if everyone else is healthy. 

Broncofan    14
8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think the last spot on the OL depth chart will be between Stephenson and Schofield. The appeal of Schofield is he can play G and T, Stephenson is only a T. If we keep 9 OLs, I think it's Bolles, Watson and Sambrailo as OTs, Paradis as C, and Leary, Barbre, Garcia and McGovern as OGs with McGovern as a OG/C, leaving the last spot between Stephenson and Schofield. I'd wager Schofield gets the nod because of his aforementioned versatility but he and Garcia are the healthy scratches each week to get down to the game day roster of 46 if everyone else is healthy. 

The other part is that a Stephenson cut saves 2M vs 700k for Schofield.  So we save 1.3M.  That's not worth it if Stephenson is clearly better than Sambrailo & Schofield with G versatility but man it doesn't look that way.     With our cap in 2018 being a lot tighter and the possible need to get a 3-4 DE that $ matters.  

EDIT: check that I was thinking Schofield 2016 salary.  Schofield 2017 $ almost the same.    So it will purely on talent and positional fit/need. 

Edited by Broncofan