53 Man Roster Projection

AnAngryAmerican

41 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

This might sound crazy but does anyone feel tj ward could be traded or released? I mean Simmons I think is ready to start. An if Orion Stewart, and Carter keep balling out. Do we risk both being cleared for the practice squad?

OMG. No. 

Releasing Ward does nothing. We don't need the cap space savings (which would be $5.75 salary - $1.25m dead = $4.5m) and Ward is a lockerroom leader we need in what is a transition year. Simmons is the future but why get rid Pro Bowler for no reason at all when Simmons can play in sub packages and special teams and get even better for next year. Jamal Carter had a few nice plays in a preseason game against third- and fourth- stringers. 

I can't believe I even took time out of my day to respond to this. Completely asinine. 

52 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

OMG. No. 

Releasing Ward does nothing. We don't need the cap space savings (which would be $5.75 salary - $1.25m dead = $4.5m) and Ward is a lockerroom leader we need in what is a transition year. Simmons is the future but why get rid Pro Bowler for no reason at all when Simmons can play in sub packages and special teams and get even better for next year. Jamal Carter had a few nice plays in a preseason game against third- and fourth- stringers. 

I can't believe I even took time out of my day to respond to this. Completely asinine. 

My apologies, dumb question I know ward is a probowler but that's more of a formality of name recognition at this point. I also thought there were enough leaders on d to replace him. Also don't think the drop off from him to parks and simmons is huge. So if we could get a mid round pick for him, plus have 4.5 mill role over into next season that was a possibility. But, I respect your opinion.

In the words of billy madison a simple no would of done just fine.

Taking into consideration that Kelly, Butt and Carlos Henderson will all be on the team likely stashed on PUP/IR and not affecting roster spots for a while, these are my guesses for the guys I see as the bubble group fighting for for about 6 or 7 roster spots:

Kyle Sloter, Jamaal Charles/Stevan Ridley, Jordan Taylor/Kalif Raymond, Allen Barbre, Michael Schofield/Billy Turner, Kyle Peko/Tyrique Jarrett, Vontarrius Dora, Chris Lewis-Harris, Jamal Carter/Orion Stewart

Barbre seems simple, he either starts or he's cut and we recoup the draft pick. Similarly, Charles proves he has something left and makes it or doesn't and he's cut and Ridley would likely benefit from that. The only reason I list Sloter is because it occurs me that someone could try to steal him off a PS at some point. He's the least likely on the list to make the team in my opinion. With Raymond now coming on late, looks like he or Taylor could find an opening with the Henderson injury. If Barbre is cut, Schofield and Turner probably compete for the last spot on the offensive line.

With Winn down, unless someone is brought in it seems younger Peko and Jarrett will fight for the 6th D-Line spot (7th if you include Walker) with the loser a prime PS candidate. Vontarrius Dora will probably make the team out of need for bodies in Week 1, but he may be squeezed out pretty quickly once Ray and Barrett are back, as Walker gives them the luxury of an emergency 5th EDGE. With Harris it's a matter of whether they choose to carry six corners or not. That would come at the expense of a fifth safety, one of the undrafted rookies who have made a lot of plays. Carrying only 9 DBs is possible as well.

21 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Zaire Anderson, Ty Sambrailo and Donald Stephenson stand out to me as virtual locks because there doesn't seem to be anyone behind them pushing for their jobs. 

I think the last spot on the OL depth chart will be between Stephenson and Schofield. The appeal of Schofield is he can play G and T, Stephenson is only a T. If we keep 9 OLs, I think it's Bolles, Watson and Sambrailo as OTs, Paradis as C, and Leary, Barbre, Garcia and McGovern as OGs with McGovern as a OG/C, leaving the last spot between Stephenson and Schofield. I'd wager Schofield gets the nod because of his aforementioned versatility but he and Garcia are the healthy scratches each week to get down to the game day roster of 46 if everyone else is healthy. 

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think the last spot on the OL depth chart will be between Stephenson and Schofield. The appeal of Schofield is he can play G and T, Stephenson is only a T. If we keep 9 OLs, I think it's Bolles, Watson and Sambrailo as OTs, Paradis as C, and Leary, Barbre, Garcia and McGovern as OGs with McGovern as a OG/C, leaving the last spot between Stephenson and Schofield. I'd wager Schofield gets the nod because of his aforementioned versatility but he and Garcia are the healthy scratches each week to get down to the game day roster of 46 if everyone else is healthy. 

The other part is that a Stephenson cut saves 2M vs 700k for Schofield.  So we save 1.3M.  That's not worth it if Stephenson is clearly better than Sambrailo & Schofield with G versatility but man it doesn't look that way.     With our cap in 2018 being a lot tighter and the possible need to get a 3-4 DE that $ matters.  

EDIT: check that I was thinking Schofield 2016 salary.  Schofield 2017 $ almost the same.    So it will purely on talent and positional fit/need. 

On 8/15/2017 at 2:35 PM, thebestever6 said:

My apologies, dumb question I know ward is a probowler but that's more of a formality of name recognition at this point. I also thought there were enough leaders on d to replace him. Also don't think the drop off from him to parks and simmons is huge. So if we could get a mid round pick for him, plus have 4.5 mill role over into next season that was a possibility. But, I respect your opinion.

In the words of billy madison a simple no would of done just fine.

I thought your question had merit. While cutting him wouldn't make sense, if we could get value at the trade deadline and Simmons is playing well, I think it's a better move than letting him leave for nothing since it seems improbable we re-sign him and keep Talib too. Guess it all depends on if we're in a playoff run or not.

7 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

I thought your question had merit. While cutting him wouldn't make sense, if we could get value at the trade deadline and Simmons is playing well, I think it's a better move than letting him leave for nothing since it seems improbable we re-sign him and keep Talib too. Guess it all depends on if we're in a playoff run or not.

Thankyou!  That wass my thought process you take an organization like NE they're always looking 3 steps forward just look at trading Jamie Collins last year.

Nobody is trading for T.J. Ward in the last year of his contract. And getting rid of him in any way prevents recouping a possible compensatory pick that would likely be of greater value than any draft pick you could expect for him. Getting rid of Ward makes no sense at all, cut or trade.

On 8/16/2017 at 8:40 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

I expect Michael Schofield to be released. He seems to have really fallen out of favour with the coaching staff and is now ranked down on the 3rd team OL. Billy Turner is now playing ahead of him as the second team RG.

Assuming Allen Barbre does indeed seize the Left Guard starting position, then I'd expect us to go into the season with Max Garcia and Connor McGovern as the interior swing men. McGovern seems to be outperforming Garcia at this point, so I'd expect him to be active on gamedays, getting into the game if any of Barbre, Paradis or Leary were to go down. Garcia will be a gameday inactive and it would take two injuries for him to play. He's really fallen down the pecking order.

At tackle you've got Bolles and Watson entrenched as your starter and then Sambrailo and Stephenson as the backups. In theory we might choose to just keep a single swing tackle in Ty Sambrailo, but I'd expect that Billy Turner and not Schofield would be the beneficiary.

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I expect Michael Schofield to be released. He seems to have really fallen out of favour with the coaching staff and is now ranked down on the 3rd team OL. Billy Turner is now playing ahead of him as the second team RG.

Assuming Allen Barbre does indeed seize the Left Guard starting position, then I'd expect us to go into the season with Max Garcia and Connor McGovern as the interior swing men. McGovern seems to be outperforming Garcia at this point, so I'd expect him to be active on gamedays, getting into the game if any of Barbre, Paradis or Leary were to go down. Garcia will be a gameday inactive and it would take two injuries for him to play. He's really fallen down the pecking order.

At tackle you've got Bolles and Watson entrenched as your starter and then Sambrailo and Stephenson as the backups. In theory we might choose to just keep a single swing tackle in Ty Sambrailo, but I'd expect that Billy Turner and not Schofield would be the beneficiary.

That's a good point. I had forgotten about Billy Turner. 

Kyle Sloter has given Elway and Joseph something to really think about.

Teams typically keep 16 offensive skillmen. Within this, you have 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 5 WRs, a FB and 3 TEs. That leaves you 2 spots which can be used on a 3rd QB, 4th RB, 6th WR or 4th TE.

4th RB seems like a definite at this point. Anderson, Henderson, Booker and one of Charles/Ridley/Thompson/Pierce. Alternatively if Booker is on the PUP to start the season, I still think we'd have 4 RBs on the 53 with two of the aforementioned 4 keeping their jobs (likely Charles and Ridley)

Keeping only 5 WRs might be a struggle as well. Thomas and Sanders are safe, as are Latimer and McKenzie because of special teams. Carlos Henderson will be a Bronco, but he might go on to IR. That leaves you one of Bennie Fowler, Jordan Taylor or Kalif Raymond.

TEs is more straightforward assuming Jake Butt stays on the NFI list. Virgil Green, AJ Derby and Jeff Heuerman are your tight ends.

So it seems to me that it's a choice between Kyle Sloter OR a 6th WR.

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Teams typically keep 16 offensive skillmen. Within this, you have 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 5 WRs, a FB and 3 TEs. That leaves you 2 spots which can be used on a 3rd QB, 4th RB, 6th WR or 4th TE.

4th RB seems like a definite at this point. Anderson, Henderson, Booker and one of Charles/Ridley/Thompson/Pierce. Alternatively if Booker is on the PUP to start the season, I still think we'd have 4 RBs on the 53 with two of the aforementioned 4 keeping their jobs (likely Charles and Ridley)

Keeping only 5 WRs might be a struggle as well. Thomas and Sanders are safe, as are Latimer and McKenzie because of special teams. Carlos Henderson will be a Bronco, but he might go on to IR. That leaves you one of Bennie Fowler, Jordan Taylor or Kalif Raymond.

TEs is more straightforward assuming Jake Butt stays on the NFI list. Virgil Green, AJ Derby and Jeff Heuerman are your tight ends.

I heard denver is talking to chicago to move Green.

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Earlier in the week Vance said they will keep six WRs. I assume those six will DT, Emmanuel, Latimer, McKenzie, Fowler and Taylor with Carlos Henderson red-shirting on IR. Carlos sucks anyway, might as well just stash him on IR for the year and hope to salvage him next year. 

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I heard denver is talking to chicago to move Green.

They should try to trade him to Buffalo for ILB Reggie Ragland (who the Bills are reportedly looking to move). The Bills could use a #2 TE that can block. 

Archived