53 Man Roster Projection

AnAngryAmerican

10 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I doubt Ty Sambrailo gets cut, also Jamaal Charles not making the team seems unlikely.

Also, you only have 52 there so there's room for an 8th DL (Kyle Peko or Shelby Harris), 6th Corner (Doss) or 5th Safety (Carter)

Lol I read "Lewis-Harris" as two different names. Oops.

Given that, I think Doss makes the team. I also don't think it's a shoe in that Charles makes the team. Henderson and Ridley have both played well. There's been mixed reviews on Charles' performance when he's actually been able to play (which hasn't been much). If he doesn't do well in Week 3, I don't think hes guaranteed.

Maybe Sambrailo sticks, but who knows. He's not a world beater.

15 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I doubt Ty Sambrailo gets cut, also Jamaal Charles not making the team seems unlikely.

Also, you only have 52 there so there's room for an 8th DL (Kyle Peko or Shelby Harris), 6th Corner (Doss) or 5th Safety (Carter)

There are millions of reasons not to keep JC, though.   Plus, while we all would love to see the JC of old, he's not even been able to make it to games yet - and we want to commit a roster spot thinking he can get through 16 games (let's face it, keeping him means we are thinking playoff hopes, so we'd want him there at the end, to make the investment worthwhile)?   JC can't play ST, so he's got to be good enough to be our 2nd RB.   That's a tough call to make when he can't even get in game action.  I know he's getting a long look this week - but I'd also say that's because Elway is really thinking hard of cutting bait.   If he was sure JC was staying, he'd likely try and keep him fresh.     Given our cap situation next year, the only way we commit $ to JC is if he's a huge difference-maker who also looks like he can stay on the field - on the last count, it's already iffy.  I'd say it's more likely we cut JC than keep at this stage, barring injury to one of the other RB's who've played well.

Given how bad our run D was and our depth issues on DL, I definitely think we are carrying 8 DL FWIW.

I'd expect us to keep 7 defensive linemen, 8 linebackers AND Demarcus Walker as a kind of hybrid 5-tech/OLB. So our 25 on the defense will likely be made up of 16 front-7 type guys and 9 DBs. I think Jamal Carter ultimately ends up on the practice squad and one of Doss/CLH will be cut.

We have 8 defensive linemen competing for 7 places (ignoring Walker). Wolfe, Domata Peko and Gotsis are probably absolute locks at this point, with Kerr and Crick both extremely unlikely not to make the team. That leaves you Kyle Peko, Tyrique Jarrett and Shelby Harris competing for two spots. Harris has had the best preseason of the three, but the one thing counting against him is that he's a pure DE whereas we don't have much depth behind Domata Peko at NT. Kyle Peko is in a tough spot because he hasn't practiced yet due to injury. Tyrique has had a good training camp and looks likely to be the latest UDFA rookie to crack the 53, although it wouldn't totally stun me if they try to sneak him on to the practice squad.

11 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I did like Watson. Good pickup for the 49ers.

We're really going to miss Ware though, although it may not feel like it now. Ray and Barrett are pretty good players but even in his last season when Ware was on the field he was still making some plays only a handful of guys in the league could make as an edge rusher. Having two freaks like he and Von on opposite sides was a luxury we're unlikely to ever have again. Shane Ray is more of an effort guy, Barrett is just a good versatile player.

I am with you BB. Even at his old age and nagging back injuries, on a limited snap basis, he could still burn T's and wreck QB's.

4 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, I don't understand why we didn't keep Watson but then again I didn't understand most of the moves we made this offseason. He showed a bit every time he got a snap last season, and showed a ton in preseason. Going from Watson to Dora is a subtle but telling move showing the brass is making a silent rebuild/retool. No way we make that swap if we were still all-in for a Super Bowl, as outrageous as that may sound.

Exactly! I loved what I saw from him in the pre-season and regular season. If I recall, he did a good job on ST's too. I feel as if this off-season had no true direction and if it did, our back up plans were afterthoughts.

This was surprising. Mike Klis is reporting that we restructured Donald Stephenson's contract. I figured that he was going to be a for sure cut but you don't restructure the deal of someone you're planning on cutting in two weeks. I can't imagine that we're going to keep four OTs so this bodes badly for Ty Sambrailo

ENGLEWOOD—The Broncos will not be cutting Donald Stephenson.

A trade is still possible, although not likely after the offensive tackle agreed to restructure his contract with the Broncos for the second time in five months, league sources told 9News.

Stephenson was to make a $4 million base salary this season -- $2 million of which was fully guaranteed, and $2 million that was not guaranteed. He also had a $4 million non-guaranteed salary for the 2018 season.

Mike Klis (@MikeKlis)
Stephenson adds gu while taking cut from $4M to $2.5M. Can make $1.5M back thru play. #9sports

(Sent from 9NEWS) 9news.com/sports/stephen…

So Stephenson gave back 1.5M of the 2M option that was left, the other 2M guarantee kicked in when Stephenson restructured 1x before this offseason.  I would have cut him to save 4M overall but once we kept him I see the reasoning with only 500k more.  

We cut Schofield that saves 2M (technically 1.5M since Stephenson costs 500k to keep).   He's a goner now.  Cap rollover really matters for this year and next.   We need either guy to play a lot of important snaps at T though we are in huge trouble.   Oh well.  

Can't see any way JC makes this team.  With Henderson emerging and JC not being able to get onto the field it just makes no sense.

Stephenson actually agreeing to a second pay cut is surprising.  He must be pretty self aware (of how bad he is) to not want to test the open market.  It also says something about how bad our tackle situation is looking if he thinks this is the place he's most likely to see playing time.  Good riddance, Ty.

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Ahmad Brooks was just released,  gotta think we could use that kinda talent on this squad

Problem is the mileage - scouts clearly say he's slowed down.  The version from 3 years ago would be a huge asset.   If he's lost a step though that's a killer.  

Since they are tanking and clearly their new 4-3 scheme is a bad fit for him we should look at BUF's Reggie Ragland.  Great 3-4 ILB flyer because he's still young and cheap.  Picked for a 3-4 but now new coaching staff & scheme he's struggling coming off injury.    Maybe a conditional 5th-6th might get it done if the Bills are in full tank mode.  They already have him as a bench guy now.  

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Problem is the mileage - scouts clearly say he's slowed down.  The version from 3 years ago would be a huge asset.   If he's lost a step though that's a killer.  

Since they are tanking and clearly their new 4-3 scheme is a bad fit for him we should look at BUF's Reggie Ragland.  Great 3-4 ILB flyer because he's still young and cheap.  Picked for a 3-4 but now new coaching staff & scheme he's struggling coming off injury.    Maybe a conditional 5th-6th might get it done if the Bills are in full tank mode.  They already have him as a bench guy now.  

I would trade Virgil Green to the Bills (and maybe a late pick) for Ragland. The Bills don't have a quality backup to Charles Clay. 

Archived