Team Needs?

Ghostnote

Just now, game3525 said:

I doubt they will cut Benjamin. The point is they are not going to cut Verrett. They will give him one last chance to prove he can stay healthy.

He's had like 3 chances. Can't play a full season. Enough is enough. Actually, we should try to trade him. we may be able to get some value for him.

4 minutes ago, chargerbuckeye said:

He's had like 3 chances. Can't play a full season. Enough is enough. Actually, we should try to trade him. we may be able to get some value for him.

Keenan Allen finished on the IR for three straight years. I guess the Chargers should have cut him to this past off-season. 

Maybe a move to nickle for Verrett would be beneficial? After looking at his cap hit for 2018... he may actually be a cap casualty after all. I didn't realize he is set to be $8.5m on the cap, but its all free space if he is cut. I doubt they want their nickle corner making that kind of cap hit especially with some guys they need to get extended soon.

Benjamin's cap hit is $7m, if cut though its a $2.5m dead and $4.5m savings. While I've cussed him on quite a few occasions this season I'm not sure that you can replace him with equal or better for what we gain from cutting him. Kind of on the fence about this one.

Liuget has a $9.5m cap hit, $3m dead and $6.5m savings if cut. I think they try to restructure to save money here. Its not that Liuget is bad, but he is definitely not worth what he is getting paid. This is a situation that they might send him packing though because with savings could bring in a guy with more upside.

2 hours ago, Zappaz said:

Liuget has a $9.5m cap hit, $3m dead and $6.5m savings if cut. I think they try to restructure to save money here. Its not that Liuget is bad, but he is definitely not worth what he is getting paid. This is a situation that they might send him packing though because with savings could bring in a guy with more upside.

I think he's a goner.  2018 is the easy-out year that was written into his deal, unless the "restructuring" he agrees to is spelled "flat pay-cut," he's likely getting released and they'll sink some of that money saved into extending Philon (who has been more productive than Liuget).  Depending on how enamored with the QB's in this class Telesco is (i.e. is he willing to trade away parts of the future to move up into the Top 10... or higher... for *gag* Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield - though Baker's likely a Top 5 pick at this point?), DT is a pretty likely 1st round pick.  It addresses (outside of special teams - and he's not going to pull an Al Davis and draft a kicker in the 1st) what was clearly the biggest deficiency of this season's team: Run defense; while still meeting value both of the class and of the natural position of the pick in the order.  Guys like Payne (he probably goes higher, but Bama prospects are always hard to project until you see the medicals), Wilkins, Taven, Vea, and McIntosh are likely all in play.

You're probably right.

Another name I am curious about is Barksdale. Cap is $5.7m, dead is $2m, savings $3.7m... I think they keep him for 2018 but unless he starts playing better I think he is cut after the 18 season when his cap rises to $6.3m with only $1m dead. I really think they need to bring in someone to push that RT position though, a spot we've struggled with for YEARS.

Another question is who does TT target in FA? His MO has been focus on one need in FA then move to draft... and this year, assuming we make some of the cuts listed in this thread, they should have some decent cap to play with as well. Boston would be the main resign unless I'm forgetting someone. I think Gates comes back but on a fairly inexpensive 1 year deal. Then they need to see about extending Hayward. I think there should be room for a decent FA guy, but I'm not sure right now who all would be available. 

20 hours ago, chargerbuckeye said:

They already exercised the 5th year option for Verrett last season. So unless Verrett magically heals from ACL injury in March, he's going to be back as a Charger next season. Unless they do find a trading partner (as you said) who is willing to give us decent return on him.

18 hours ago, Zappaz said:

Maybe a move to nickle for Verrett would be beneficial? After looking at his cap hit for 2018... he may actually be a cap casualty after all. I didn't realize he is set to be $8.5m on the cap, but its all free space if he is cut. I doubt they want their nickle corner making that kind of cap hit especially with some guys they need to get extended soon.

Benjamin's cap hit is $7m, if cut though its a $2.5m dead and $4.5m savings. While I've cussed him on quite a few occasions this season I'm not sure that you can replace him with equal or better for what we gain from cutting him. Kind of on the fence about this one.

We're on the hook for the cap hit unless Verrett medically clears in March. 5th year option and all that jazz. So might as well keep him for another season unless you can find a willing trading partner.

19 hours ago, Zappaz said:

You're probably right.

Another name I am curious about is Barksdale. Cap is $5.7m, dead is $2m, savings $3.7m... I think they keep him for 2018 but unless he starts playing better I think he is cut after the 18 season when his cap rises to $6.3m with only $1m dead. I really think they need to bring in someone to push that RT position though, a spot we've struggled with for YEARS.

Another question is who does TT target in FA? His MO has been focus on one need in FA then move to draft... and this year, assuming we make some of the cuts listed in this thread, they should have some decent cap to play with as well. Boston would be the main resign unless I'm forgetting someone. I think Gates comes back but on a fairly inexpensive 1 year deal. Then they need to see about extending Hayward. I think there should be room for a decent FA guy, but I'm not sure right now who all would be available. 

I don't think it will be a high-priced target, so tackle (especially on the heels of Okung getting what he did last year) on either side of the ball can likely be ruled out.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them try and upgrade on Hayes Pullard in the middle, since most of the other linebackers are still young (and I don't think he's ready to give up on Jatavis, but allowing Perryman to play in his place as he did toward the close of the season gives Jatavis more time to develop).  Not the place you typically want to tie up a ton of money, but given the way the season has gone kicker wouldn't surprise me either (given the performance of Jake Elliott, I can see Philadelphia letting Caleb Sturgis walk, Graham Gano is a UFA, as is Ryan Succop).

I think Barksdale very well could end up a cap casualty - combination of performance and how often he ended up on the trainers' table during games this season.  Really depends on where they plan on playing Lamp; they could view him as a temporary fill at RT given how Pulley, Feeney, and Wiggins have played this season, or they could let Wiggins walk and roll with a starting three of Lamp/Pulley/Feeney.

19 hours ago, The LBC said:

I don't think it will be a high-priced target, so tackle (especially on the heels of Okung getting what he did last year) on either side of the ball can likely be ruled out.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them try and upgrade on Hayes Pullard in the middle, since most of the other linebackers are still young (and I don't think he's ready to give up on Jatavis, but allowing Perryman to play in his place as he did toward the close of the season gives Jatavis more time to develop).  Not the place you typically want to tie up a ton of money, but given the way the season has gone kicker wouldn't surprise me either (given the performance of Jake Elliott, I can see Philadelphia letting Caleb Sturgis walk, Graham Gano is a UFA, as is Ryan Succop).

I think Barksdale very well could end up a cap casualty - combination of performance and how often he ended up on the trainers' table during games this season.  Really depends on where they plan on playing Lamp; they could view him as a temporary fill at RT given how Pulley, Feeney, and Wiggins have played this season, or they could let Wiggins walk and roll with a starting three of Lamp/Pulley/Feeney.

If he comes back cheap, Wiggins would be nice as depth since he has played multiple positions on the oline. I wouldn't want him as the starter at RG if Lamp comes back completely healthy and ready to play. Up and down on keeping Barksdale since his real savings comes next offseason. I would still try to draft another OT in the draft since FA looks kind of meh in terms of quality (not to mention the price as you already mentioned). Agree on linebacker and kicker in FA.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Future/reserve contract doesn't mean much.

Means there's no pressure on them to out and out draft a kicker, which likely rules out Carlson and Pineiro (maybe not him, but Carlson will get drafted), but look at the number of UDFA kickers (not the Chargers'... but others) who panned out this year.

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Means there's no pressure on them to out and out draft a kicker, which likely rules out Carlson and Pineiro (maybe not him, but Carlson will get drafted), but look at the number of UDFA kickers (not the Chargers'... but others) who panned out this year.

Yeah, you definitely don't need to draft a kicker. I would try to resolve certain things, like kicker and possibly linebacker, in FA. At least for the short term. Just hoping no more receivers or corners picked high this year. I want help in the trenches this year again.

Archived