Team Needs?

Ghostnote

On 1/10/2018 at 2:03 PM, The LBC said:

Means there's no pressure on them to out and out draft a kicker, which likely rules out Carlson and Pineiro (maybe not him, but Carlson will get drafted), but look at the number of UDFA kickers (not the Chargers'... but others) who panned out this year.

How about getting GODrigo Blankenship

Anyone care to give insight on the offensive tackles in this class?  I feel like this is a strong possibility for us in the first round.  I'm not a huge fan of McGlinchey or Orlando Brown.  I think both could struggle with speed at the next level and Brown reminds me a lot of Cam Robinson and DJ Fluker.  I think two names that could really rise as the process goes along are Jamarco Jones and Brian O'Neill.  I like their footwork and slide much more than McGlinchey or Brown which I think is critical to surviving on the outside.  Also wasn't impressed with Okorafor either.  These are the guys Ive watched so far

6 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Anyone care to give insight on the offensive tackles in this class?  I feel like this is a strong possibility for us in the first round.  I'm not a huge fan of McGlinchey or Orlando Brown.  I think both could struggle with speed at the next level and Brown reminds me a lot of Cam Robinson and DJ Fluker.  I think two names that could really rise as the process goes along are Jamarco Jones and Brian O'Neill.  I like their footwork and slide much more than McGlinchey or Brown which I think is critical to surviving on the outside.  Also wasn't impressed with Okorafor either.  These are the guys Ive watched so far

I just plain don't see the lower body strength in O'Neill.  Maybe he can stick it out there at OT in a zone-blocking scheme, but he's not made to power-block at the next level.  Bit reminiscent of DJ Humphries.

Kolton Miller - I don't know if I buy the 1st round hype on him, but he should be a dependable guy (I don't see anything spectacular, but he looks like he shouldn't be a liability)

Limited tape on Desmond Harrison, but I like what I see.  I haven't followed the Senior Bowl practices as closely this year, but there was speculation if he showed out well there he was a lock to not last out Day 2.

Unless losing some weight allows him to find some foot quickness I haven't seen from him, Mike Deiter looks like a ROT only, but that's not necessarily a bad thing since he's not going anywhere near the 1st round.

I haven't seen enough tape on Andre Dillard to render judgment.

And one guy, i've actually heard good things about because I have friends in the HS OL coaching circles and they have friends in the collegiate OL circles is the Humboldt State kid, Alex Cappa.

21 hours ago, The LBC said:

I just plain don't see the lower body strength in O'Neill.  Maybe he can stick it out there at OT in a zone-blocking scheme, but he's not made to power-block at the next level.  Bit reminiscent of DJ Humphries.

Kolton Miller - I don't know if I buy the 1st round hype on him, but he should be a dependable guy (I don't see anything spectacular, but he looks like he shouldn't be a liability)

Limited tape on Desmond Harrison, but I like what I see.  I haven't followed the Senior Bowl practices as closely this year, but there was speculation if he showed out well there he was a lock to not last out Day 2.

Unless losing some weight allows him to find some foot quickness I haven't seen from him, Mike Deiter looks like a ROT only, but that's not necessarily a bad thing since he's not going anywhere near the 1st round.

I haven't seen enough tape on Andre Dillard to render judgment.

And one guy, i've actually heard good things about because I have friends in the HS OL coaching circles and they have friends in the collegiate OL circles is the Humboldt State kid, Alex Cappa.

Thanks for the feedback.  Some names in there that I haven't heard before, but I'll definitely check out!

On 1/17/2018 at 4:24 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

Connor Williams

Yeah, Connor Williams is my guy if we go OT at all, but I wouldn't touch him until the 2nd or even the 3rd.  His hands and feet are a mess, even before the injury.  He looked so promising last year, and completely regressed technique wise last year.  He really should've gone back, would've been a top pick next year IMO with Herb Hand coming in to Texas this year.

Cappa, Senat, Desomond Harrison, and Jamarco Jones are my guys if we end up going for an OT, but I'd wait and make sure we're getting good value on all of them.  Cappa i'm particularly interested in for our scheme, and really want to see how he performs at the Senior Bowl.  He's got the respect of a LOT of the top OL guys on twitter (and just OL guys anywhere), although one of them is a Humbolt alum.  Jamarco Jones is going to be a solid starting LT in the league for a long time, but nothing special (think Duane Brown type), and I think he could drop due to having a really meh body/profile for an OT, as he'll probably measure in around 6'4" and around 300-310, but he's got long arms and the feet you want to see out of an OT.  I'm still curious about Braden Smith as an OT, but that's just something that i'm curious about and won't amount to anything.

But honestly, I don't think an OT is needed at all.  Even with the foot injury, Bark was an outstanding pass protector, and struggled run blocking, which has generally been his strength throughout the years (I'm thinking his ability to generate power was really hurt by the foot injury).  I don't see any reason for us to question him.  Tevi also played decently when given a shot at LT for Okung, so I could see another swing OT, but I also wouldn't be mad if we tried to develop Tevi, who I thought all along could end up a solid OT in this league.

If we draft an OL, I would think it's because we're capitalizing on this amazing C class. There's 3-5 potentially elite C's in this class, depending on how you look at it.  I think we can grab one of those 5 guys that drops, and have them battle it out with Pulley, or develop for a year, playing that backup C/OG spot that we need someone at right now (where Feeney started the year at).

For some reason I mistakenly thought Okung was on a two-year contract.  I still think we could use an upgrade at right tackle, but with how Wiggins played, maybe we could slide Lamp out there?  Center wouldn't be a bad idea in a trade down scenario (don't think there's one worthy of the 17 overall pick).  I'm all for a DT, something tells me though that this organization won't go that route.  

If TT drafts a center it's likely in the 2nd round with his "for-the-future" pick if the QB pool is drained.  i don't know that he fits the mold of how the rest of the line has been built, mostly because he's kind of light right now, but with a year to bulk up, James Daniels can be something special IMO.  I also think there's a good chance Isaiah Wynn has to kick in to center (but he's likely too short for what Meyer tends to prefer).  16th pick in the 2nd round is probably Daniels' floor and I wouldn't be surprised if it's Frank Ragnow's too.

20 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

For some reason I mistakenly thought Okung was on a two-year contract.  I still think we could use an upgrade at right tackle, but with how Wiggins played, maybe we could slide Lamp out there?  Center wouldn't be a bad idea in a trade down scenario (don't think there's one worthy of the 17 overall pick).  I'm all for a DT, something tells me though that this organization won't go that route.  

What????? Barksdale is a problem but Wiggins should say???? Are you high? haha

Wiggins was the huge cause of all of our problems IMO.  With a very potentially elite G in Lamp, swapping that out for a below average/mediocre OG in Wiggins does a HUGE favor to both Pulley and Bark.  While Wiggins made very few plays that absolutely blew up a play, he actually positively contributed to very few run plays.  He was just kind of "in the way" for defenders.  And credit to him, because with his complete lack of athleticism, that's pretty impressive in and of itself.  I think we're totally fine, and honestly, in a REALLY good position with Lamp slotting in at OG.

As for C, I don't think it'll be a "future" pick, but it would fall under the category of what Mike Williams was this year.  Where we don't totally trust Pulley, but we have hope for him, so if the opportunity presents itself, we'll take a shot on a guy that is elite.

Meyer has typically liked more physical C's, but it's hard to determine what exactly he truly wants because there's been a lot of established players on the teams he's played (or he's been under Kromer).  Meyer seems like a big proponent of being very FUNCTIONALLY athletic and FUNCTIONALLY strong.  He doesn't want the DJ Flukers or any of those guys, but the guys like Lamp, and doens't really care about how big you are if you're strong enough to hold up vs NT's.  That's why I think Daniels could be a good option.  But I think we take Ragnow/Daniel/Price (never going to happen on Price), if they're there in the 2nd, or wait and try to roll the dice on a 4th/5th round C as a backup (or potentially a guy like Cole in the 3rd)

On 1/23/2018 at 7:47 PM, Duffman57 said:

What????? Barksdale is a problem but Wiggins should say???? Are you high? haha

Wiggins was the huge cause of all of our problems IMO.  With a very potentially elite G in Lamp, swapping that out for a below average/mediocre OG in Wiggins does a HUGE favor to both Pulley and Bark.  While Wiggins made very few plays that absolutely blew up a play, he actually positively contributed to very few run plays.  He was just kind of "in the way" for defenders.  And credit to him, because with his complete lack of athleticism, that's pretty impressive in and of itself.  I think we're totally fine, and honestly, in a REALLY good position with Lamp slotting in at OG.

As for C, I don't think it'll be a "future" pick, but it would fall under the category of what Mike Williams was this year.  Where we don't totally trust Pulley, but we have hope for him, so if the opportunity presents itself, we'll take a shot on a guy that is elite.

Meyer has typically liked more physical C's, but it's hard to determine what exactly he truly wants because there's been a lot of established players on the teams he's played (or he's been under Kromer).  Meyer seems like a big proponent of being very FUNCTIONALLY athletic and FUNCTIONALLY strong.  He doesn't want the DJ Flukers or any of those guys, but the guys like Lamp, and doens't really care about how big you are if you're strong enough to hold up vs NT's.  That's why I think Daniels could be a good option.  But I think we take Ragnow/Daniel/Price (never going to happen on Price), if they're there in the 2nd, or wait and try to roll the dice on a 4th/5th round C as a backup (or potentially a guy like Cole in the 3rd)

I don't think Wiggins is as bad as you make him out to be.  Granted he's not Zach Martin by any means, but he's not total garbage either imo.  I also don't think you need All-pro's up and down the line in order to move the ball.  I think we could survive with Wiggins, sure we could improve his position, but it's not gonna make or break the season either.  

Maybe I'm too harsh on Barksdale.  I know he had some nice games (Dallas comes to mind), I just think his position could also be improved and at the same time groom our future left tackle when Okung moves on (I know Okung had a good year but he's also been injury prone throughout his career) 

3 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I don't think Wiggins is as bad as you make him out to be.  Granted he's not Zach Martin by any means, but he's not total garbage either imo.  I also don't think you need All-pro's up and down the line in order to move the ball.  I think we could survive with Wiggins, sure we could improve his position, but it's not gonna make or break the season either.  

Maybe I'm too harsh on Barksdale.  I know he had some nice games (Dallas comes to mind), I just think his position could also be improved and at the same time groom our future left tackle when Okung moves on (I know Okung had a good year but he's also been injury prone throughout his career) 

I think you're falling into the trap of "I didn't notice him and he didn't **** things up, so he must be solid".  But he really wasn't.  I think whoever it was that did NFL1000's midseason breakdown, where they looked at the 5 worst at each position (I think it was Ethan Young, who's a VERY trustworthy scout IMO), summed it up perfectly.  "Wiggins problem isn't the lack of effort, but the amount of effort he has to put in to make blocks is incredibly concerning.  He has to because he lacks the physical traits to play at this level" (obviously not an exact quote, but that was the gist of it).  The guy just doen't have the tools to be playing at this level on a consistent basis. He's just not a good enough athlete to get to the blocks that we ask our OG's to make in this scheme, and it showed, not necessarily to the tune of big negative plays, but it basically took running to the right side of the OL out of the question almost entirely....  If I were running the Chargers.  I'd resign Schofield as our backup OG, then draft a backup C in the 3-5th round area, and try to roll the dice on some UDFA OG's.  That's all this OL needs to be fixed IMO.  I'd probably resign Wiggins too, but if he asks for anything over basically vet min, I'm letting him walk.  He's a good guy as a patch job, but if he's playing significant snaps, we are REALLY not in a good position.

Archived