Team Needs?

Ghostnote

2 minutes ago, the lone star said:

The team has a lot of needs though. LG or RT is up there as well. I just like having a swingback in case the game calls for it. Zeke is a great all-around talent, but I miss Dunbar, even if we didn't use him that often. I think Dak might like a RB that can get separation quickly on his routes.

When Dunbar was healthy we used him quite a bit. After his knee, he was not the same player. When he blossomed though, he was essentially Duke Johnson - a big play runner who could take 8 to 12 touches a game and score on any of them at any spot of the field.

This team could use that again, but theres much bigger and more pressing needs. However, this team just needs to get good players. OT? Sure. Lb? Lets go. Wr? Sounds good. DL? Bingo. Db? Fine by me.

Just add talent. We have good players everywhere. But severely lack for gamebreakers, and have a big void for bit players who can just come up big at any moment. We have all these consistent guys, with good ability, but no one who can truly turn the tide everygame, and so few players whos small role becomes a big boost.

3 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

When Dunbar was healthy we used him quite a bit. After his knee, he was not the same player. When he blossomed though, he was essentially Duke Johnson - a big play runner who could take 8 to 12 touches a game and score on any of them at any spot of the field.

This team could use that again, but theres much bigger and more pressing needs. However, this team just needs to get good players. OT? Sure. Lb? Lets go. Wr? Sounds good. DL? Bingo. Db? Fine by me.

Just add talent. We have good players everywhere. But severely lack for gamebreakers, and have a big void for bit players who can just come up big at any moment. We have all these consistent guys, with good ability, but no one who can truly turn the tide everygame, and so few players whos small role becomes a big boost.

I think LB has to be a top 2 need because of Lee's health and how there's a big gap between him and the rest of the corps. Imagine if this team had drafted Reuben Foster instead of Taco Charlton.

MLB is the most important defensive position in football if you ask me. If there is a good one there worthy of a first round pick, it'd be hard to pass him up. DTs and DEs take time to develop, but I'd like one that can stop the run. But an LB can do that as well, same with a SS.

Good analysis with Dunbar. I liked him when they threw him out there with Weeden so that they could move the ball. Dak struggles with his accuracy, so maybe an agile RB that can audible out onto the LOS will help. But you can get those guys on Day 3, after the draft, or after cuts. 

25 minutes ago, the lone star said:

I'd also like a legitimate deep threat at WR. If Dorsett or Perriman get cut, I'd take a flyer.

More speed guys with questionable hands? No thanks

I think what a lot of people dont understand is that it takes more than top end speed to be a deep threat receiver. You need to be able to catch, for one. And to separate. 

In the NFL, everyones pretty fast that playd outside.

You need to be able to separate with route running ability. You need to be able to stop, stutter in one direction with uour head turned that way, while keeping your hips centered and explode in the other. You need to know how a simple misdirection of how you point your toe can buy you anextra step of separation, and be good doing so. You need to understand how a swift fake of a hip turn can make a DB bite the wrong way, and be capable of it.

You need to be able to run a route tree, too. A deep receiver does not just run straight ahead. You cant in the modern NFL. You have to be able to break in or out. Cut to the hash and split the seams, or get in between the safeties. You have to be able to hit that dime and come back to your QB. Height and speed no longer is an NFL deep threat on its own, thats just 5th man depth chart fodder now like we have in Brice Butler.

You need to be able to catch too. Gone are the days where speed leaves you all alone for an easy catch. You have to be able to track a ball in over your shoulder, or out stretch for one. Grab it with one hand and bring it in. And do these things consistently. 

If you cant get a vertical game, big play receiver capable of catching and running routes, you essentially have Brice Butler. And if you just want a big, strong guy who can outjump and fight for a contested ball, you have that in Dez Bryant.

If Vita Vea is available, we have to take him! I know so many people downgrade NT’s but damn it, we need a young and talented big nasty wide body NT to clog running lanes or take on double teams to free up the DEnds or seriously collapse the interior of the pocket. If we want take the next step with our defense, this is a key position that needs to be addressed.

After that, get me a speedy talented WR who can take the top off of defenses. This is what is truly missing from our Offense. Secondaries are just not scared of our Wideouts. 

Address those 2 with the top 2 picks and I’m happy for now. Give me a LB, swing tackle, OG, and another talented secondary player we would be sitting nice. 

My top 5:

#1. Safety - Dallas needs a playmaking safety in a bad way. A player who can lead the secondary.

#2. LB - There's no denying the importance Lee is to the Cowboy defense. The problem is he's too injury prone. Now that Lee is in his 30's, we need another impact LB.

#3. WR - We need a speedy WR with #1 WR potential. This offense is stagnant because Dallas has no deep threat on the outside.

#4. DT - A run stuffing DT can allow us to move Irving around on the D-line and give D-Law some rest.  

#5. TE - We need Jason Witten's replacement. I'm not so sure that Rico Gathers is the answer for us at TE.  

53 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

I think this team needs a #1 WR badly. Dez just doesn't fit that bill anymore. A #1 WR opens up the offense so much. I'd like to try to get someone like a Martavius Bryant who I think has the potential to be a #1. 

As much as I love Martavius Bryant as a prospect, he is a "Me" receiver and a headache.

This crop of free agent receivers all will be overpaid and have flaws.

I like the idea of Landry however he doesnt fix our need for a speedy receiver, however he does find space and get open.

Davante Adams is a big bodied receiver who is playing well, not sure if GB can afford him with Nelson and Cobb already getting paid.

26 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

They will sign Adams or I’d be shocked. Bryant is the exact type of guy we need. Here he could be THE guy. 

I would be shocked too, however I dont see how they could pay over $10 Million per year for each of their receivers.

Yes, Bryant could be the guy, but in our offense, he will not see the touches that he will want.

Just now, Calvert28 said:

No TE?

I agree we need to find Wittens replacement, or maybe even a straight-up upgrade over Witten. Just hard to replace the 5 I have listed. Dez was dropping passes, TWill was dropping passes, and Beasley got a shot to play on the outside where he looked completely out of place on his deep ball attempt. 

7 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I would be shocked too, however I dont see how they could pay over $10 Million per year for each of their receivers.

Yes, Bryant could be the guy, but in our offense, he will not see the touches that he will want.

Pretty sure they can cut both Nelson and Cobb this year with little to no cap penalty. In fact I think it saves them money. 

Archived