Team Needs?

Ghostnote

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, Nnivolcm said:

I just want to confirm that this is based on the assumption that Lawson isn't re-signed? If we bring both Lawson and Hayden back I think we're more than set at CB. If we only bring one of them back I think we're pretty good with Teez showing improvement as the season went on.

We have a top CB with Slay, after that, we don't have much. We moved Diggs over to safety pretty much full time last season. Teez didn't do anything all season. How much of that was just a poor rookie showing? Who knows. Nevin Lawson would make a good 3rd corner, but I'd like a solid #2 next to Slay.

7 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

We have a top CB with Slay, after that, we don't have much. We moved Diggs over to safety pretty much full time last season. Teez didn't do anything all season. How much of that was just a poor rookie showing? Who knows. Nevin Lawson would make a good 3rd corner, but I'd like a solid #2 next to Slay.

I think you're underselling Tabor's rookie season. I know he wasn't even active to start the year, but that's because we had a pretty capable secondary in front of him and didn't need to rush his development. As the season went on, they began to use him more and more and he was fairly effective. Towards the end of the season, they showed quite a bit of trust in him by leaving him on islands against opposing #1 targets regularly. 

What the Lions have always seen in the 6-foot, 199-pound Florida prospect is size and physicality in coverage and the ying to Slay's yang.

The Lions first tested this theory in a Week 14 road game in Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers boasted one receiver who can fly in DeSean Jackson and another who can bully in Mike Evans. Evans was the younger and better player, a Pro Bowler, but the Lions matched his 6-foot-5-inch size with Tabor for what defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said was a simple reason:

"He's tall."

Evans beat Tabor in space on a few plays the Buccaneers couldn't hit, but he also lost a jump ball in the end zone and finished with his second-least productive day in two years with two catches for 25 yards. Jackson caught four passes for 41 yards. The Lions won 24-21.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/01/how_the_lions_can_roll_with_te.html

There's no denying that Teez is a work in process, as most young corners are, but I think it's pretty clear Bob Quin has a vision of pairing Slay against the opponents quickest/fastest weapon, and Tabor against their biggest/most physical one. I'm sure Teez will having some growing pains as Slay did, but I think they can form a dynamic duo.

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

So he played well in a game week 14. I'd still like a corner opposite Slay. I'm not giving up on Tabor, but he hasn't shown me anything to say corner is not a need.

Week 14 was just an example of him playing well while shadowing the other team's number 1 receiver. He played well once he got the snaps, and improved as the season went on.

Archived