Team Needs?

Ghostnote

2 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Don't know why DT is so high on everyone's list

Tom Johnson is going to be a free agent, and he’ll be 34. That’s not someone that Spielman is likely to re-sign. Plus, Johnson hasn’t been as disruptive as you’d like, he doesn’t get a consistent push up the middle. He really should be a rotational player. Floyd isn’t coming back. So that leaves Jaleel Johnson, who has bare been active all year, as the only option at the 3-tech.

Im curious why people have OT so high? We have two legit starters in Reiff and Remmers plus a great find and backup in Hill. 

DT is high because Shamar Stephen and Tom Johnson are free agents and Jaleel Johnson hasn't shown anything as a rookie. Floyd is a complete unknown. Neither Johnson or Stephen are ideal long term options at UT.

Top Needs (assuming Keenum resigned as assumed starter):

1) QB - If you don't have a franchise QB, QB is always a top need. I like Keenum as a stop gap solution and I expect him to be resigned. However, it's hard to be sold on him as a franchise QB. Teddy and Bradford are likely to walk in FA. I wouldn't reach for a QB.

2) OG - Joe Berger is likely to retire and I'm not sure what to think of Nick Easton. Give me a stud to start at RG and let Easton and Isidora compete at LG.

3) UT - As noted above, MN needs a true 3 Tech who can fit the mold of Geno Atkins.

4) CB - Zimmer always needs CBs, just the way he runs things. Not sure MN can afford Trae Waynes going forward. 

5) RB - Hard to find another need beyond this one, mostly depth needs at this stage, but with Cook's injury and McKinnon hitting the open market, I'd like to add another player to the mix.

Other potential depth needs that could be looked at in the draft: TE, LB, S.

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Tom Johnson is going to be a free agent, and he’ll be 34. That’s not someone that Spielman is likely to re-sign. Plus, Johnson hasn’t been as disruptive as you’d like, he doesn’t get a consistent push up the middle. He really should be a rotational player. Floyd isn’t coming back. So that leaves Jaleel Johnson, who has bare been active all year, as the only option at the 3-tech.

Im curious why people have OT so high? We have two legit starters in Reiff and Remmers plus a great find and backup in Hill. 

Jaelen still has a ton of promise no reason to move out of desperation.  If really good DT is there, sure grab em cause it's still and need but to not a highest priority one imo.

Safety makes zero sense as a need either, like it or not Dejo has become a legit player.

Just now, Dolmonite26 said:

Jaelen still has a ton of promise no reason to move out of desperation.  If really good DT is there, sure grab em cause it's still and need but to not a highest priority one imo.

Safety makes zero sense as a need either, like it or not Dejo has become a legit player.

With how Zimmer rotates his DTs, adding a top talent at UT doesn't have to mean the end to Johnson. Joseph, Rookie and Johnson could be your 3 game day DTs. Wasn't Jaleel backing up at NT in the preseason too?

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Promise/potential is great, until it goes unrealized. And you can’t possibly feel confident in going into a new season with a guy who can’t even find a way to be active on game day. And that still doesn’t replace Tom Johnson on the roster. 

Right so it's a need...just doesnt feel like a top priority one I guess.  Idk haven't put a lot of thought into this stuff given the success of the season, more focused on that, but I'd rather have add a big time guard and a rotation piece at UT and bet on JJ.

Just now, Dolmonite26 said:

Right so it's a need...just doesnt feel like a top priority one I guess.  Idk haven't put a lot of thought into this stuff given the success of the season, more focused on that, but I'd rather have add a big time guard and a rotation piece at UT and bet on JJ.

I think one could argue that the Vikes really don't have priority needs. Maybe OG but we've seen Isidora fill in fine. QB too but QB value is always hit or miss at the end of the first round. If MN loses Stephen or Johnson in FA, that is a decent amount of reps to replace. 

Archived