Team Needs?

Ghostnote

37 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

With how Zimmer rotates his DTs, adding a top talent at UT doesn't have to mean the end to Johnson. Joseph, Rookie and Johnson could be your 3 game day DTs. Wasn't Jaleel backing up at NT in the preseason too?

I was going to ask about this. Couldn't Jaleel essentially be our Stephen replacement?

5 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I was going to ask about this. Couldn't Jaleel essentially be our Stephen replacement?

He very well could be Stephen's replacement. Even if Tom Johnson is brought back, I think MN would need to find a good pass rushing UT. Johnson isn't young.

Joseph / J. Johnson

T. Johnson / Rookie

For the first time in a long time I am comfortable with our safety opposite of Smith. Sandejo has really come on this year. The only issue with him is that he's already over 30. We'll probably need to find his successor before too long, but I don't feel it's something we need to do with a high pick, and I'm still holding out hope that Jayron Kearse develops. 

#1 - UT 3tech

#2 - guard

#3 - guard/tackle (whichever one we don't get is where we'll move Remmers)

#4 - cornerback (both for high round picks as potential replacement for Waynes, and low round picks for depth)

#5 - not sure. We could use an athletic tight end behind Rudolph, but not sure Shurmur wants one. Seems to use the #2 TE as a blocker. We could use a QB since we're likely only keeping one of the current guys.

When thinking about the draft?  Wow, I'd have to say:

1.  UT  (J. Johnson may be the guy they want, but I could see Tom Johnson retiring or being cut.)  A truly dominant (K-Will type) would be sweet.

2.  CB (does Newman continue to test Father Time?)  Even with Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander, ya need a 4th and 5th of equal quality.

3.  QB . . . If the Vikes keep 2 of the current 3, no need here.

4.  OG.  I think the O-line is miles ahead of where it's been since PCP and I pounded holes in our desk tops the past several years.

5.  LB or TE.  

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

DT is high because Shamar Stephen and Tom Johnson are free agents and Jaleel Johnson hasn't shown anything as a rookie. Floyd is a complete unknown. Neither Johnson or Stephen are ideal long term options at UT.

Top Needs (assuming Keenum resigned as assumed starter):

1) QB - If you don't have a franchise QB, QB is always a top need. I like Keenum as a stop gap solution and I expect him to be resigned. However, it's hard to be sold on him as a franchise QB. Teddy and Bradford are likely to walk in FA. I wouldn't reach for a QB.

2) OG - Joe Berger is likely to retire and I'm not sure what to think of Nick Easton. Give me a stud to start at RG and let Easton and Isidora compete at LG.

3) UT - As noted above, MN needs a true 3 Tech who can fit the mold of Geno Atkins.

4) CB - Zimmer always needs CBs, just the way he runs things. Not sure MN can afford Trae Waynes going forward. 

5) RB - Hard to find another need beyond this one, mostly depth needs at this stage, but with Cook's injury and McKinnon hitting the open market, I'd like to add another player to the mix.

Other potential depth needs that could be looked at in the draft: TE, LB, S.

I see QB as a developmental pick if Sloter wasn't worth the cost of signing him.

I see McKinnon reaching free agency without a deal, but eventually re-signed.  He fits the description of 'previously fringe' players like Robison and Sherels, both of whom were targeted for replacement by impatient fans, but which were considered players that contributed to the team and who c/would develop into great contributors.  They are the Rasputins of the NFL / Minnesota, who survived several attempts by fans to oust them because they weren't flashy.   DT Stephens may be another such 'Rasputin' role player, re-signed for depth.

Too few fans acknowledge the existence of coaches' loyalty to players they see working hard in practice and developing into contributors, but the latter never having a chance to show much on-field due to a quality starter ahead of them.  

I see OT as a much greater need than RB due to concussions suffered by Remmers, and his recent bad back. 

Even if McKinnon is resigned, he will surely cost $4-5M per year. Why spend $10M on backup RBs? 

I'd consider bringing back Stephen but he's another player who could command $4-6M per year. Seems high when Johnson may be able to take over. Stephen should have a lot of appeal. He's got the size for multiple scheme fits, he's young, and has a wealth of experience on a great defense. Those Seattle defenses over the years lost a lot of great role players due to money, they got paid to take on a bigger role, being on a great defense and coached well helps significantly.

#1 QB - Either way you look at it, we need a QB. Sign Teddy, you are most likely going to draft a QB. Sign Keenum, you will most likely draft a QB. Right now with zero QB's on the roster it is the #1 need, a signing drops it down, but most likely stays a top 5 need.

#2 3-tech UT - Tom Johnsons age will probably keep the Vikings from signing him to another 1 year contract. Jaleel may develop into something, I like the guy too, but with the lack of talent in the F/A pool we will be looking to the draft. Stephen is a NT in this defense, but in time of need he is farther along and can play in the 3 tech slot. #1 need for this team right now.

#3 Guard - Berger likely retires, leaving the depth to Easton, Isidora, & Sirles. Actually this is my favorite position to look to in free agency, but with my faith in Isidora stepping up, I have this as a #3 need.

#4 CB - Was a higher need for me until how well Waynes has been playing, and the thought of maybe moving on after him to let another CB sit back and learn which is typical with Zimmer. Newman also retiring, Brock will most likely will be gone, we are down to 3 CB's. For a team that plays in a nickle defense 70% of the time it is important to have 4 solid CB's in case of injury and just staying fresh.

#5 RB - If McKinnon returns, this need goes away. Cook coming off injury, Murray has battled injuries in his career, we don't want to be stuck without a capable RB.

Archived