Team Needs?

Ghostnote

1.] Pass-rushing NT to pair up with our starting DT Sheldon Rankins
2.] Smart, Athletic MLB / OLB that can move well sideline to sideline and can cover RBS / TE’s out of the backfield
3.] TE – Obvious Need
4.] WR – Our #2 Wide Receiver will be 33 next season, our #3 is widely inconsistent, and our #4 [Willie Snead] has completely fallen off the map for the most part this season and is also a free agent, we can’t go into next season relying on this group.
5.] OC – Max Unger will be 32 next season and many saints fans haven’t noticed I guess, but his running block hasn’t been very good, we could use an upgrade here / depth badly.

5A need would be Quarterback, Drew Brees will be 39 next year and we don’t have a clear successor in place. DE / CB are commonly listed as needs by other saints fans but @CB we currently have Lattimore, Crawley, P.J Williams, and Delvin Breaux possibly retuning next year, @DE we could use an elite rusher opposite Cam Jordan but in my opinion we need to address the five needs I listed above first so DE takes a backseat for me. The common feature of the positions I listed is that we lack depth at all of them, if our #1 guy gets hurt then were screwed, positions like DE / CB it’d be nice to have another player but we need to address positions where we lack depth and have the least talent first.

2 hours ago, Lyoane said:

2.] Smart, Athletic MLB / OLB that can move well sideline to sideline and can cover RBS / TE’s out of the backfield
3.] TE – Obvious Need
4.] WR – Our #2 Wide Receiver will be 33 next season, our #3 is widely inconsistent, and our #4 [Willie Snead] has completely fallen off the map for the most part this season and is also a free agent, we can’t go into next season relying on this group.
5.] OC – Max Unger will be 32 next season and many saints fans haven’t noticed I guess, but his running block hasn’t been very good, we could use an upgrade here / depth badly.

5A need would be Quarterback, Drew Brees will be 39 next year and we don’t have a clear successor in place. DE / CB are commonly listed as needs by other saints fans but @CB we currently have Lattimore, Crawley, P.J Williams, and Delvin Breaux possibly retuning next year, @DE we could use an elite rusher opposite Cam Jordan but in my opinion we need to address the five needs I listed above first so DE takes a backseat for me. The common feature of the positions I listed is that we lack depth at all of them, if our #1 guy gets hurt then were screwed, positions like DE / CB it’d be nice to have another player but we need to address positions where we lack depth and have the least talent first.

Good thoughts, and welcome aboard. Looks like you're new here (or at least a new profile) and have fun! This is a really good group of guys that have some really good input and opinions.

Cheers!!

22 hours ago, Lyoane said:

3.] TE – Obvious Need

This pretty much is where I see our needs as well. Basically I don't think there is a huge difference between needs 1-6, so I think we are in a position where we simply take the BPA at any of those positions instead of reaching on a single position.

On 12/21/2017 at 10:01 AM, Lyoane said:

3.] TE – Obvious Need

1) who are you?

2) where have you been?!

welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing you around.

good take on Unger. I know whodatworm and I have discussed his lack of push in run blocking... some of it could be attributed to his surgery this offseason, but I agree it’s a need. Especially as we shift to a more run heavy team under a young QB

On 12/22/2017 at 10:13 PM, domepatrol91 said:

1) who are you?

2) where have you been?!

welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing you around.

good take on Unger. I know whodatworm and I have discussed his lack of push in run blocking... some of it could be attributed to his surgery this offseason, but I agree it’s a need. Especially as we shift to a more run heavy team under a young QB

I'm completely new to posting on online sports forums, I've lurked for years on various websites without registering through, so I'm familiar with how things work around here more or less.  Didn't expect the warm welcome through, thanks everyone, definitely makes us new posters feel appreciated!

And you're right about Unger, he's getting older and the surgery / injuries definitely hasn't helped either. I think he consistently slips under the radar because of how good our guards and run game has been. Your " Saints biggest needs moving forward" thread already did a great job exploring the Saints needs through, I simply consolidated it somewhat along with adding my own personal opinion to our needs. There's a lot of debate about what should take priority, D-line vs LB, how many new WRS we need, how early should we take a QB, O-Line Depth issues, etc but obviously diving into the nuance of all of those issues would take a much longer post but I think it's safe to say at the end of the day we do have "everything but running backs" as a need or at the very least a "want".

On 12/24/2017 at 4:52 PM, Lyoane said:

I'm completely new to posting on online sports forums, I've lurked for years on various websites without registering through, so I'm familiar with how things work around here more or less.  Didn't expect the warm welcome through, thanks everyone, definitely makes us new posters feel appreciated!

And you're right about Unger, he's getting older and the surgery / injuries definitely hasn't helped either. I think he consistently slips under the radar because of how good our guards and run game has been. Your " Saints biggest needs moving forward" thread already did a great job exploring the Saints needs through, I simply consolidated it somewhat along with adding my own personal opinion to our needs. There's a lot of debate about what should take priority, D-line vs LB, how many new WRS we need, how early should we take a QB, O-Line Depth issues, etc but obviously diving into the nuance of all of those issues would take a much longer post but I think it's safe to say at the end of the day we do have "everything but running backs" as a need or at the very least a "want".

One thing to remember is that Payton is extremly high on youngster Cameron Tom and could very well view him as the eventual replacement for Unger in time.

Other than that I agree with you for the most part, however I have QB much higher on my needs list. I still feel Brees has another quality season left in him but despite the team success this year when i evaluate Brees himself Im concerned by a number of issues that I feel will only get worse in time.

13 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

One thing to remember is that Payton is extremly high on youngster Cameron Tom and could very well view him as the eventual replacement for Unger in time.

Other than that I agree with you for the most part, however I have QB much higher on my needs list. I still feel Brees has another quality season left in him but despite the team success this year when i evaluate Brees himself Im concerned by a number of issues that I feel will only get worse in time.

I think it comes down to how much it will take for Brees to spend another year from spending more time with his family.  I think I remember seeing somewhere that he has been contemplating retirement partly because of the team situation, partly because of wanting to be with his family, and partly because how much longer can he really go.  I mean I know it's us being ridiculous fans to think that 4k yards and a 3:1 TD/INT ratio is a down season for a player, but if we think it is, how does he think it is considering he's probably harder on himself than we are.

Archived