Team Needs?

Ghostnote

On 12/24/2017 at 2:52 PM, Lyoane said:

I'm completely new to posting on online sports forums, I've lurked for years on various websites without registering through, so I'm familiar with how things work around here more or less.  Didn't expect the warm welcome through, thanks everyone, definitely makes us new posters feel appreciated!

And you're right about Unger, he's getting older and the surgery / injuries definitely hasn't helped either. I think he consistently slips under the radar because of how good our guards and run game has been. Your " Saints biggest needs moving forward" thread already did a great job exploring the Saints needs through, I simply consolidated it somewhat along with adding my own personal opinion to our needs. There's a lot of debate about what should take priority, D-line vs LB, how many new WRS we need, how early should we take a QB, O-Line Depth issues, etc but obviously diving into the nuance of all of those issues would take a much longer post but I think it's safe to say at the end of the day we do have "everything but running backs" as a need or at the very least a "want".

Welcome to the forum Lyoane! Always nice seeing more Saints fans come in and join in on all our nonsense. Be prepared to show your credentials though, because all of us here already have our double doctorates in armchair QB and NFL team management :P

Good take on the Saints needs by the way. I think most of us here are all in agreement more or less about what the team needs are. Looking forward to reading more posts from you sir.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

I think it comes down to how much it will take for Brees to spend another year from spending more time with his family.  I think I remember seeing somewhere that he has been contemplating retirement partly because of the team situation, partly because of wanting to be with his family, and partly because how much longer can he really go.  I mean I know it's us being ridiculous fans to think that 4k yards and a 3:1 TD/INT ratio is a down season for a player, but if we think it is, how does he think it is considering he's probably harder on himself than we are.

Brees has GOT to be eyeing that career yardage record though.. he won’t get it this year

I think he comes back to get 500+ TDs and the yardage record.  

The most impressive thing about the yardage record is the longevity it takes to get it.  Favre, Manning, and Brees have all had long careers and played almost every game.  Brady might be making it look easy, but being a productive QB in your late 30s and 40 isn't easy at all, yet that's what it takes to get to 70k yards, along with consistent high volume passing of course.

Crazy to think that if Brees plays 1 more season he will likely be:

Number 1 all time in pass yards

Number 2 all time in passing touchdowns

Number 1 all time in completion percentage

Number 1 all time in pass completions

Number 2 all time in pass attempts

Number 1 all time in passing yards per game

And likely between 4-7 all time for QB Rating

He will also have 5 of the top 8 seasons all time for passing yards, and 6 of the top 11 seasons all time for passing yards. Or in other words, there has been 9 instances in which a QB has passed for over 5,000 yards in a season in league history, Brees has accounted for 5 of them.

He will likely also retake the record for highest completion percentage in a season this year (He currently is at 71.9%, the record is 71.6%), and will account for 3 of the top 4 seasons in NFL history for highest completion percentage.

That is one heck of a Hall of Fame resume for a QB.

5 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Crazy to think that if Brees plays 1 more season he will likely be:

Number 1 all time in pass yards

Number 2 all time in passing touchdowns

Number 1 all time in completion percentage

Number 1 all time in pass completions

Number 2 all time in pass attempts

Number 1 all time in passing yards per game

And likely between 4-7 all time for QB Rating

He will also have 5 of the top 8 seasons all time for passing yards, and 6 of the top 11 seasons all time for passing yards. Or in other words, there has been 9 instances in which a QB has passed for over 5,000 yards in a season in league history, Brees has accounted for 5 of them.

He will likely also retake the record for highest completion percentage in a season this year (He currently is at 71.9%, the record is 71.6%), and will account for 3 of the top 4 seasons in NFL history for highest completion percentage.

That is one heck of a Hall of Fame resume for a QB.

These are a list of some of his records according to wikipedia:

Additional records[edit]

• Most games with 300+ passing yards – 109[131]
  • Most games with 400+ passing yards – 15[132]
  • Most touchdown passes in a single game – 7 (Tied), 11/1/2015 [133]
  • Most consecutive games with at least one touchdown pass – 54[128]
  • Most consecutive home games with at least one touchdown pass – 60
  • Most Seasons with 5,000+ passing yards – 5 (2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016)
  • Most consecutive games with 20+ completions – 57 (2009–2013)[134]
  • Most pass attempts in a playoff game with zero interceptions – 60 (at Seattle, 1/8/2011)[135]
  • Most pass completions in a playoff game with zero interceptions – 39 (at Seattle, 1/8/2011)[135]
  • All-time leader in completion percentage – 66.93%
  • Highest career regular season passing yards per game – 283.06[114]
  • Fastest to reach 40,000 yards passing[136]
  • Fastest to reach 50,000 yards passing[137]
  • Fastest to reach 60,000 yards passing[138]
  • Fastest to reach 70,000 yards passing.
  • Most seasons leading league in passing yards (7)
  • Most consecutive seasons with 4,000+ passing yards (12)[125]
  • Most consecutive seasons with 5,000+ passing yards (3)
  • Most consecutive seasons with 20+ touchdown passes (14)
  • Most consecutive seasons with 30+ touchdown passes (9)
  • Most games with 300+ yards passing and no interceptions, career: 46
  • Most games with 400+ yards passing and no interceptions, career: 9
  • Most games with 5+ touchdown passes and no interceptions, career: 7
  • Most games with 30+ completions and no interceptions, career: 26,
  • Most games 5+ TD passes, career: 10
  • Best touchdown pass-interception ratio, playoffs, career: 4:1 (24 TDs, 6 INTs)
  • Best passing yards-interception ratio, playoffs, career: 589.83:1 (3,539 yards, 6 INTs)

And many others, but those are some of the better ones.  A few of those postseason records could change this year, but here's to hoping thy only get better.

Still learning the depth of the game, but going to say:

(1) LB (T-2) WR/TE/DE (5) QB

I'm thinking if we want Brees to get another shot after this year, I'd plan to target the TE & LB through free agency.F From my understanding it's rare for these positions to have a big impact year 1.

DE/QB/WR could be targeted through draft. They can have an impact with Drew or be built into the defense.

6 minutes ago, ckoz24 said:

Still learning the depth of the game, but going to say:

(1) LB (T-2) WR/TE/DE (5) QB

I'm thinking if we want Brees to get another shot after this year, I'd plan to target the TE & LB through free agency.F From my understanding it's rare for these positions to have a big impact year 1.

DE/QB/WR could be targeted through draft. They can have an impact with Drew or be built into the defense.

TE, DL, and LB are my three biggest needs.  This offense woud be so much better with a dependable, big-bodied pass catching TE.  I don't know who is available though.

LB and DL speak for themselves, we always need these positions.  I'm torn between DT and DE though.

So what kind of TE do ya'll want? Receiving, blocking?

Mike Gesicki from Penn State is a big guy who can run block and catch. He's at 6'6" and about 250lbs. He's not a big name guy, but I think if we could land him in the 3rd, I'd be thrilled.

A guy like that just makes me want to forget about Jimmy Graham. I'm a fan of Graham, but he's so limited. He's a redzone receiving monster, and that's about it. No blocking, not much between the 20's...

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Mike Gesicki from Penn State is a big guy who can run block and catch. He's at 6'6" and about 250lbs. He's not a big name guy, but I think if we could land him in the 3rd, I'd be thrilled.

A guy like that just makes me want to forget about Jimmy Graham. I'm a fan of Graham, but he's so limited. He's a redzone receiving monster, and that's about it. No blocking, not much between the 20's...

Somewhere in between like you're describing.

We definitely need a guy who can line up and do some damage inside. Thinking a Jeremy Shockey/Marty B type guy. 

5 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I really like the kid from Wisconsin... Feel hed be ideal for our system.

18 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I really like the kid from Wisconsin... Feel hed be ideal for our system.

Troy Fumagalli. He's a big kid too, at 6'6". I see his draft stock has dropped a bit recently. I'm not sure why. I'm assuming due to a leg injury. 

Dalton Schultz from Stanford is also a big target that I like.

I like Gesicki, Schultz, Fumagalli, basically in that order. 

Gesicki has good history with good production, and has been part of a continuous winning team.
Fumagalli is similar, but he's injured, so that is concerning to me.
The Schultz kid has been touted as a Jason Witten type player. Well, who wouldn't want that guy?

Archived