Team Needs?

Ghostnote

Interior offensive line is my biggest thing, because we need 2 parts (guard and center). Adding one competent person at either position would help tremendously. We need to be able to convert short yardage situations with better frequency. 

LEO / True pass rusher. 

Red zone target. You could say receiver, but I think that a top two of Garcon / Goodwin with Taylor in the slot is competent in the offense we have. We have a specific need for someone, whether a receiver / tight end, who can create enough space in a small field. 

Cornerback 

Linebacker. 

43 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Outside pass rusher

Interior OL

Cornerback

#1 WR

LB

Hey guys, we have a QB now!!!

I don't believe Shanny nor JG needs a legitimate #1 WR. Those guys are just so rare....true #1's. But I do think we need a talent and an athletic upgrade@WR. Goodwin is really the only guy that can threaten a defense vertically and cause match-up problems. That needs to change. Some height wouldn't hurt either but its not paramount. Definitely in agreement with everything else. A better O-Line and stout running game will work wonders for this offense & JG.

45 minutes ago, Forge said:

Interior offensive line is my biggest thing, because we need 2 parts (guard and center). Adding one competent person at either position would help tremendously. We need to be able to convert short yardage situations with better frequency. 

LEO / True pass rusher. 

Red zone target. You could say receiver, but I think that a top two of Garcon / Goodwin with Taylor in the slot. We have a specific need for someone, whether a receiver / tight end, who can create enough space in a small field. 

Cornerback 

Linebacker. 

This is my top 5 list as well. But I think it's easier to fulfill the #1 need than the #2 or #3 need, and because of that might take any of the top 4 over #5. 

Realistically, this is a top 4 list. Linebacker is probably next most important, but it's definitely a problem at a lesser level. I might even add RB there tied for 5th, because of the unknown with the Hyde situation. 

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't believe Shanny nor JG needs a legitimate #1 WR. Those guys are just so rare....true #1's. But I do think we need a talent and an athletic upgrade@WR. Goodwin is really the only guy that can threaten a defense vertically and cause match-up problems. That needs to change. Some height wouldn't hurt either but its not paramount. Definitely in agreement with everything else. A better O-Line and stout running game will work wonders for this offense & JG.

I'd tend to agree. But a true #1 WR is just so beautiful to watch. I miss that. I watch the DeAndre Hopkins, the AJ Green, the Jones, Browns and Bryants of this league with envy. The things they can do. Even when they're covered, you can throw them the ball. It will always be on my list, but I did put it near the bottom. We can be a winning team with a #1, and getting pass rush and secondary help, and interior OL is far more urgent and critical to the success of this team. But damn, it would be sweet to have one of those freaks of nature at WR.

Yeah, WR is a luxury pick, right now. But I feel like we can afford a luxury pick. We're in that in between where we can win if we bring in the right pieces, but we're probably not contending yet. I don't expect to find the long term fix to all our holes this year. We may bring in a temporary solution, maybe a pass rusher younger and more threatening than Dumerville (who has done a pretty good job anyway this year, given his age). Maybe we bring in a corner who will be a good starter for a couple of years. We have to hit a homerun or two in the draft, and add long term starters with probowl potential. But we can't expect to solve everything. So let's add the best talents we can, as long as we're not just adding to our current logjam at DL... If that best talent ends up being an impact LB, even if that's not our most pressing need, let's take him, and fix the other needs whenever we can. If we find a #1 WR, I'd take him, even if I'm comfortable going with our current guys. I don't think we're really in a position where we need to go into the draft looking to fix this or that issue. There are teams out there that you know will have to invest their first round pick at a given position. I don't think we're one of those teams. BPA, within reason.

I have it: 1-Cornerback, 2-Edge, 3-Center, 4-Wide receiver, 5-Runningback 

I think Coyle has held his own and I wouldnt mind seeing him compete for a starting job next year in addition to Malcom Smith coming back I dont think LB is in our top 5 needs. Corner especially after trading robinson is the biggest vacancy I can see right now and I'm not banking on Ward transitioning over to corner. Assuming Hyde is gone I dont like Breida being expected to take 20+ carries a game when we start playing with the lead so I might like a RB than most. A good center to me is more valuable than a good guard and has the versatility to play all interior spots anyways. An outside pass rush would really make a world of difference to this already top 10 defense, if Dumervil could be a 28 year old again that'd be ideal. Then a WR who will not be physically dominated by the nfl's trend of lengthy corners and could be a legit redzone target where we've struggled to finish drives. 

25 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

A good center to me is more valuable than a good guard and has the versatility to play all interior spots anyways.

That would be ideal. I really want a probowl-level C. If we have that, I don't really care who the guards are. Whichever guard we plug in would have a high level T on one side and a probowl level C on the other, helping cover up any glaring weakness. And Kilgore far too often is the weak link on the line (not that the others aren't, but when Kilgore whiffs, it's instant disaster).

1. shut down corner

2. Red zone, 50-50 ball, NO FOOL ITS MY BALL, WR

3. Leo

4. interior lineman

5. LB depth

I'm placing these in the order of which I think we should draft them, Not in the order of importance. 
now should we acquire some of these through free agency (which is a likelihood) this list switches all the way around.

A great pass rusher would increase the team's overall ability more than anything else. Would love an outside pass rusher.  But if I'm taking the long view, it's C or G for me.  It's taken us a decade to find a QB who looks like he can be "the guy". We have to protect that guy.  A great pass rusher will not help if we find our QB on IR. Jimmy has taken far too many hits in just a few games.  We NEED to fix that. In fact I think we need to guarantee a fix in this offseason which to me make C or G our highest FA priority. Would rather take a proven commodity for our interior line who can step in immediately than anything else in free agency.

• 2 weeks later...

Re-watched the Titans and Jags game, being those were two playoff teams and Im still concern with middle of the defense against the run. I think we need to prioritize LBs. I dont you can count on Foster to ever stay healthy so you essential need a 1b@MLB to his 1a. Malcolm Smith returning helps alleviate some issues at WILL but I'd like us to focus on a long-term solution there also. Not sure how they feel about Lee. He's really just a STs guy for now who could develop. Need to have someone there with some upside in place in case Smith misses time. Im ok with Harold@SAM. Sure we should always look to upgrade the position but Im content with him for the time being. He's still young and has room to develop in the system. I like Marsh also. I see him more as a SAM than a Leo but I think he has versatility there to get some snaps at Leo also. I'd like to keep him around and see him compete with Harold for the SAM spot moving forward. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Re-watched the Titans and Jags game, being those were two playoff teams and Im still concern with middle of the defense against the run. I think we need to prioritize LBs. I dont you can count on Foster to ever stay healthy so you essential need a 1b@MLB to his 1a. Malcolm Smith returning helps alleviate some issues at WILL but I'd like us to focus on a long-term solution there also. Not sure how they feel about Lee. He's really just a STs guy for now who could develop. Need to have someone there with some upside in place in case Smith misses time. Im ok with Harold@SAM. Sure we should always look to upgrade the position but Im content with him for the time being. He's still young and has room to develop in the system. I like Marsh also. I see him more as a SAM than a Leo but I think he has versatility there to get some snaps at Leo also. I'd like to keep him around and see him compete with Harold for the SAM spot moving forward. 

WHen we got Marsh, I thought we wanted him at SAM, so I agree. Maybe we get a mid rounder to add depth, someone who's going to at least compete with Coyle. If he returns to shape, Malcolm Smith will probably be given a chance. Honestly, outside of safety and QB, there's no position that couldn't use an upgrade. So at this stage, BPA.

Archived