Packers D Coordinator Watch

Packerraymond

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

The kickoff to this off-season is going to be miserable when MM reiterates his belief in Capers as DC two weeks from now. 

Honestly, I think we're going to see some changes.  You don't miss the playoffs and not see some sort of change.  The last time the Packers missed the playoffs (2009), the Packers fired Bob Sanders and Dom Capers.

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

As HZ pointed out Moss and Whitt are younger, hungrier guys. Both want their HC shot someday. I'd be excited to see what either bring. I know from being at camp those two are fiery guys.

What exactly is the appeal of Winston Moss?  I'm legitimately curious, because his production out of his LBs have been average at best and from my understanding he's not much of an X's and O's coach.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I think we're going to see some changes.  You don't miss the playoffs and not see some sort of change.  The last time the Packers missed the playoffs (2009), the Packers fired Bob Sanders and Dom Capers.

Make your pick in the pool

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What exactly is the appeal of Winston Moss?  I'm legitimately curious, because his production out of his LBs have been average at best and from my understanding he's not much of an X's and O's coach.

Not an X's O's guy? Not sure who or how that would be revealed about a coach but I don't see it to be true.

He's been here awhile, out LBs have traditionally been the one of our better units and he's received numerous interest and promotions.

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We did? Excellent. Now we just need to fix the glitch

o-MILTON-facebook.jpg

5 hours ago, Chili said:

Looking at potential HC firings the notable names with a defensive background could include Tod Bowles, Chuck Pagano, Vance Joseph, Steve Spagnuolo, Jack Del Rio, John Fox. Not a bad list I'd have to say.

There's also co-ordinators who might lose their jobs as a result of a head coach firing such as Mike Smith, Greg Manusky, Vic Fangio, Kacy Rodgers, Joe Woods, Paul Guenther.

Is there anybody that stands out for you? have I missed out on any potential candidates?

Don't know much about X's and O's, so I'll leave that to experts. But Romeo Crennel fits the bill too. O'Brien could be on the way out, Crennel's been around for a long time. Looking strictly at pts/game the past few years he's generally had a strong unit. 

On 12/17/2017 at 8:06 PM, Siman08/OH said:

At this point any change will be good. 

It sad but I’ve been calling for Doms head on here since the 2012 season. I felt his time was up then.

Here we sit in almost 2018 with a defense that’s not any better, probably worse. Still don’t have any good DBs, still losing to good teams. 

I want change. Make the Packers great again. 

King and Randall are good, Don't think HaHa and Josh Jones are as bad as they're playing, we just need that third corner (if house doesn't return next year) and we still have a good group.

17 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

If Capers is retained beyond this year, I will likely be hopping the fence on the "Fire MM" debate

I've joked around saying at MM's end of the year review they should ask him what he wants to do with Capers, and if he says keep him we should fire him on the spot lol. 

13 hours ago, Chili said:

Looking at potential HC firings the notable names with a defensive background could include Tod Bowles, Chuck Pagano, Vance Joseph, Steve Spagnuolo, Jack Del Rio, John Fox. Not a bad list I'd have to say.

There's also co-ordinators who might lose their jobs as a result of a head coach firing such as Mike Smith, Greg Manusky, Vic Fangio, Kacy Rodgers, Joe Woods, Paul Guenther.

There's the experienced coaches who are currently position coaches or out of job: Mike Pettine, Mike Nolan, Karl Dunbar, Don Martindale, Jim Haslett, Dennis Thurman, Ray Horton, Raheem Morris, Jeff Fisher and Perry Fewell,

Potentially promoting within: Winston Moss is the obvious candiate but if any position coaches like Darren Perry, Joe Whitt Jr and Mike Trgovac get promoted ahead of him then there's a good chance he would leave. He would probably leave anyway if we hire an co-ordinator from outside the organistion as the new coach would want to bring his own guys with him.

And finally the co-ordinator college coaches and NFL position coaches potentially looking for their first NFL co-ordinator gig: Brian Flores (Patriots), Dave Aranda (LSU), Jim Leonhard (Wisconsin), Al Holcomb (Carolina), Todd Orlando (Texas), Brent Venables (Clemson), Josh Boyer (Patriots), Al Harris (Kansas), Matt Eberflus (Dallas), Tony Oden (Detroit), Aaron Glenn (New Orleans), Micheal Barrow (Seattle), Anthony Weaver (Houston), John Butler (Houston), Nick Eason (Titans), Titans (Lou Spanos), Jason Tarver (49ers),  Jerome Henderson  (Falcons)

By not firing Capers last year we missed out on the likes of Gus Bradley, Leslie Frazier and Wade Phillips. We must not make that same mistake again.

Is there anybody that stands out for you? have I missed out on any potential candidates?

I don't want to hire a former HC. Just please no. DC is the job they can get, not the job they want. Also, hard pass on both Ryan brothers. They aren't worth the headache.

Promotion from within, doesn't work either. The DBs blowing coverages wide open is one of the key problems so that eliminates both db coaches and I don't get the love of Moss. Until Martinez this year, the ILB have been just "ok". Trg is the only assistant I really want to keep.

I would love to see someone like Aranda or Leonhard. When the Packers hired, Capers, I know I had mentioned liking Sean McDermott who was an assistant coach with Philly at the time and they made him DC. That's the kind of hire I want to see.

13 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

With the number of 32s we have next to our team in efficiency rankings you should see it.

They played poorly the last month. They'll never be the team they were with Shazier but that defense has played tiers ahead of ours this year. Even when we had King, and House like the NO game and Detroit we were awful.

I agree they were waayyy better than us early. But they really haven't been the last month or so.

There is nothing wrong with just admitting this much. They were adversely affected by injuries and kinda fell off a cliff.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Ron Milus.

Entering his 18th NFL season, Milus served as a defensive backs coach for the Arizona Cardinals, New York Giants, Los Angeles Rams, Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos before landing with the Chargers in 2013.

He points to former NFL defensive coordinator and head coach Ray Rhodes, along with defensive assistant Rick Venturi, as mentors during his time in the NFL.

“He treats everybody the same,” said safety Jahleel Addae, who joined the Chargers as an undrafted rookie in 2013, the same year Milus joined the staff. “He holds everyone accountable, whether you’re an undrafted player or a Pro Bowler.

Holds everyone accountable?  Are we ready for this?

Archived