The Jimmy Garoppolo Thread - Franchise Tag vs. Long-Term Deal

y2lamanaki

I'd love to hear thoughts on this - chances are, we slap the Franchise tag on Garoppolo for one year. Makes a lot of sense with such limited starting time. 

But - if you were making the call - would you sign Jimmy to a big long-term deal now, or would you slap the franchise tag on him going into 2018?

Me - I'm all-in on a long-term deal. I believe Garoppolo does the things that winners do, and I have no hesitation on saying lock him up long-term after the season. We might even save a bit before giving him a full year.  But I can see why the Franchise Tag would be preferable this year as well. 

What do you think?

As a fan who has the luxury of making things easier than they are, I'd always tag in a situation like this and then give the extension after a bigger sample once he's proven himself more fully. But that's always easier said than done. Personalities get thrown in there, ego, attitude, etc. Can turn ugly. Not always ideal. 

I think the first part is to have open communication (which as I understand, the team continues to have with his agent). This is key. Set the expectations. Jimmy G knows that he's not going anywhere next year and the tag is coming, so that should at least be one thing off his plate. He's not going to hit an open market. That allows for some open and frank discussion about what the player / agent wants with regards to an extension. The team should be honest with how they are feeling as well. If the two sides are within striking distance of a deal, then they should go long term. If they aren't, the 49ers need to be upfront about not feeling comfortable about a Stafford / Carr extension at this time, but let them know that after a year on the tag, if he continues to play this way, we are completely open and willing  to do that (maybe more with inflation). 

The only thing I would be concerned by is if Jimmy G has no interest in a long term deal. That would make me nervous. 

Its very evident(to me at least) that JG is the answer. He almost threw for 400 yards with Zane Beadles as his RT, no run game whatsoever, and a big gapping hole as his interior O-Line against a legit playoff contender. He does things in the pocket no other QB in this division does as far as recognition and knowing where to go with the ball and exploiting defenses. His deep ball is a concern but when your as precise as he is short-intermediate you learn to live with the latter and hope that Kyle works with him endless on that one flaw in his game. I really don't mind tagging him but why would you??? GIVE. HIM. HIS. MONEY. NOW.

We have so much cap room this season still, why not sign him now? If we front load the hell out of it with these next two seasons taking the bulk (25m per year) then the remainder of the 3 or 4 years. 

Kaep received a 7 year 126m contract, if Jimmy G would sign that tomorrow you let him. 

I think with the cap room they should be signing him now or the day after the season ends.

What slightly concerns me is that since day one of this trade, there has been that "if they sign him" and even now it's the same reaction. Shanny and Lynch seem smart so why wouldn't he be the QB next year and of the future?? I can't after all this team has been though in the past 3-4 years that they would let their future slip away. I don't care if Cousins is available or not your getting a QB going into his prime. 

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

We have so much cap room this season still, why not sign him now? If we front load the hell out of it with these next two seasons taking the bulk (25m per year) then the remainder of the 3 or 4 years. 

Kaep received a 7 year 126m contract, if Jimmy G would sign that tomorrow you let him. 

I think you wait until after the season just not to affect the rollover. If you sign him this year I believe that the bonus basically hits us twice for next year - it docks the prorated portion of the bonus for this year from the rollover and then we will have the prorated portion of the bonus next year as well. While we don't need that cap immediately, the rollover is important for not just next year but the year after, etc etc. So if you agree to a deal right now, it is probably better to wait until the new league year to get it signed and delivered. 

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I honestly wouldn't play him against the Rams. That front seven is going to feast on our O-Line. We gain nothing playing him in that game tbh....

Yeah, but I don't think you can sit him and have a positive spin on it. CJ Beathard would come in to essentially be a punching bag, and that's kind of messed up. 

11 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I don't think Jimmy would sign that, though. If that's the only offer we have on the table for him, I would take the franchise tag, if I were him, because I bet on myself, and I know next year, the offer is going to be 7 year 175m. 

I think Lynch and Paraag should be considering a long term offer, that's the ideal option. But Jimmy's ideal option is the franchise tag, lighting it up, and going for the mega contract after. In most cases, it feels like the franchise tag is more beneficial to the team, in order to retain its players, but in this case, the tag is more likely to hurt us financially than anything else (not that I care. If Jimmy plays himself into a mega contract, I'll gladly ask Jed to pay the man all he's worth).

If we manage to sign Jimmy to a long term contract before the start of next season, I'll officially call John Lynch a god. I seriously doubt it happens, but if it does, I'm sure than by year 3 or 4, Jimmy will be paid well below the market rate for a QB of his caliber then. Heck, he might be paid below market as soon as year 1. And that would make Lynch a god, I tell you. But honestly, I think Jimmy should bet on himself and sign the franchise tag. But then, he'll have to start throwing some TD passes, if he wants the big bucks.

The problem with just tagging him and waiting to give him a long term deal is you could end up with another Kirk Cousins situation potentially. And the longer you wait, the bigger the contract is going to be. After next season, Wilson and Rodgers could end up getting extended and they will have a bigger deal than the biggest deal given out up until that point. If you think he is the guy, then no need to beat around the bush. Give him a nice deal and build the team around him. 

52 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The problem with just tagging him and waiting to give him a long term deal is you could end up with another Kirk Cousins situation potentially. And the longer you wait, the bigger the contract is going to be. After next season, Wilson and Rodgers could end up getting extended and they will have a bigger deal than the biggest deal given out up until that point. If you think he is the guy, then no need to beat around the bush. Give him a nice deal and build the team around him. 

I agree with this, which is why communication is so important. What each side expects is a huge deal. What is Jimmy G's expectation? What is a "nice deal"?  Is it a Stafford contract with 60 million guaranteed, because I can understand the team's hesitation at giving that after 3 games, particularly given the opponents. Or would he be willing to sign off on something more akin to Matt Ryan's contract from a few years ago (103m, 40m guaranteed). I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't be happy with the contracts given out to guys who have similar sample sizes at this point. You want to do everything possible to avoid a Cousins situation (and in fairness, I think that there is more to that situation than just the contract, so I find it unlikely that it would happen at this point), but I totally understand if they aren't keen on paying him like Stafford at this point. 

Archived