The Jimmy Garoppolo Thread - Franchise Tag vs. Long-Term Deal

y2lamanaki

I'd want to sign him. I believe he's for real.  He's demonstrated too much for it to be a fluke.  A full season of play like that and he's going to command one of the highest contracts in the game.  I'd be willing to take my shot now and willing to pay a lot, but not offer one of the highest contracts in the league and hope that whatever we sign him for would turn out to be a bargain a few years down the road. I just don't know why he would do that.  If he's confident he can keep playing like he has been then why wouldn't he take the tag money, which is substantial, and then hope for a giant contract next year?

A franchise QB is the key of course, but so many teams tie up so much money in their QB they have precious little left to re-sign any good young guys they happen to draft. I'd do everything I could to try to get JG now for somewhat less than I think he will cost next year.

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really don't get this, to be honest.

I just saw the Rams beat the living hell out of Russell Wilson for 4 quarters. No way would I expose JG to that, knowing how bad our O-Line is at the moment. We gain nothing from playing the last game of a meaningless season. I'd rest him, Staley, Mitchell, Buckner,  and a host of other vets and let the young guys have at it against the Rams if i were running this team.

I hope that Jimmy G develops into a franchise quarterback and that you guys continue to improve.

Why? Because I’ve enjoyed the Rams-49ers rivalry for over 30 years and hope that we can, once again, establish ourselves as the two NFC West powerhouses. 

Let’s put these Seattle upstarts in their place. B|

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I just saw the Rams beat the living hell out of Russell Wilson for 4 quarters. No way would I expose JG to that, knowing how bad our O-Line is at the moment. We gain nothing from playing the last game of a meaningless season. I'd rest him, Staley, Mitchell, Buckner,  and a host of other vets and let the young guys have at it against the Rams if i were running this team.

We can see how he performs against a legit defense. Continue to let him gain experience in every type of situation, and show the players that we aren't scared. I think that sends a very poor message. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

We can see how he performs against a legit defense. Continue to let him gain experience in every type of situation, and show the players that we aren't scared. I think that sends a very poor message. 

We just played the #10 defense in the league. The Bears are ranked as the 9th defense. He's played solid defenses, that shouldn't even be a question. And I beg to differ about sending the wrong message. Our future is bright. Sitting key guys the last game of the year doesn't make that light any less dimmer.

13 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

We just played the #10 defense in the league. The Bears are ranked as the 9th defense. He's played solid defenses, that shouldn't even be a question. And I beg to differ about sending the wrong message. Our future is bright. Sitting key guys the last game of the year doesn't make that light any less dimmer.

Are you going based on yards given up? Because that means nothing to me. It's a terrible measure of defenses. The Bears are an okay defense...banged up some when we played them, and the offense is so bad it basically counter acts it, but it's a good defense. They are about average in dvoa, but with a weighted schedule, move way up to the top 3 (they've had one of the hardest schedules in the NFL). Tennessee is 22nd in defensive dvoa, and when adjusted for schedule (they have had the easiest schedule in football), they are 31st. 

17 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

None of the defenses we have faced the last three weeks compare to the Jags or Rams defenses. I'm sorry, but I'm with Forge here. I want to see how he deals with top notch pass rushes with mediocre supporting cast. If he could have solid performances against them, then that would really show something. You can't play scared here. He could have gotten hurt against the Texans or Titans as well. Heck, the Titans came in the game with 20 sacks in the last three games which was more than any other team all season for a three game stretch I believe. 

Teams that play with a fear of a player getting injured will almost certainly see more players getting injured.

Let's say we play Beathard and he gets injured, do we roll over and die by playing a WR that may have played QB in high school over playing Garoppolo? 

I don't think it's even a question. Jimmy is going to play, even if it's meaningless. The games have been meaningless for a while now, does it mean we should still have Hoyer starting? No one wants Jimmy to be injured, and I'd be okay to be more careful, call more conservative plays, and try to keep him upright as much as possible. Even if the gameplan has us losing the game, it's okay. If we lose, I want Jimmy to come back next year and remember his loss to the Rams and show he wants to kick their *****. I don't want to shelter my franchise QB from one of the most important rivalries he'll have to face for the next decade. Don't let the rams get to him. Call 35 runs, 15 quick slants and 10 screen passes, and go into the offseason with a fire to come back and win this division next year.

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I don't think it's even a question. Jimmy is going to play, even if it's meaningless. The games have been meaningless for a while now, does it mean we should still have Hoyer starting? No one wants Jimmy to be injured, and I'd be okay to be more careful, call more conservative plays, and try to keep him upright as much as possible. Even if the gameplan has us losing the game, it's okay. If we lose, I want Jimmy to come back next year and remember his loss to the Rams and show he wants to kick their *****. I don't want to shelter my franchise QB from one of the most important rivalries he'll have to face for the next decade. Don't let the rams get to him. Call 35 runs, 15 quick slants and 10 screen passes, and go into the offseason with a fire to come back and win this division next year.

Meh, the last three games were not meaningless. We had a shiny new toy and we decided to give it a spin. We had to see what we had in JG and this team needed a morale boost after a long season with several heart-breaking losses, playing QBs who really didn't give us the best chance to win most Sundays. Mission accomplished. We now know we have our QBOTF and this team has some positive momentum heading into next year.  We'll put up a decent showing but probably lose to Jax. And after that, the season is pretty much done. I may be in minority but I still say we have absolutely nothing to gain by trotting him out against the Rams and having him get beat to a pulp for 60 mins. If you gonna call this conservative game to try and not get him killed then what's the point really? Your basically agreeing with me, just to a lesser degree. Putting him out there but not really trying to win serves what purpose and to whom? If you not gonna treat it like a winnable game and a game your most definitely trying to win then why go through the motions, just sit him. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, the last three games were not meaningless. We had a shiny new toy and we decided to give it a spin. We had to see what we had in JG and this team needed a morale boost after a long season with several heart-breaking losses, playing QBs who really didn't give us the best chance to win most Sundays. Mission accomplished. We now know we have our QBOTF and this team has some positive momentum heading into next year.  We'll put up a decent showing but probably lose to Jax. And after that, the season is pretty much done. I may be in minority but I still say we have absolutely nothing to gain by trotting him out against the Rams and having him get beat to a pulp for 60 mins. If you gonna call this conservative game to try and not get him killed then what's the point really? Your basically agreeing with me, just to a lesser degree. Putting him out there but not really trying to win serves what purpose and to whom? If you not gonna treat it like a winnable game and a game your most definitely trying to win then why go through the motions, just sit him. 

Who says that a conservative game plan cannot still win the game? And even if the game plan is conservative, judging by what I've seen of Jimmy, he'll probably still try to make the most of it. I was just offering an alternative, as I simply don't see Kyle not play him. In all likelihood, we'll try to win the game the same way we've been doing in recent weeks. Is that riskier against a team like the Rams? Sure, but I don't think it's in Jimmy's or Kyle's DNA to play scared and take it easy. Jimmy might get hit, but I seriously doubt they'll try to avoid it. Maybe it serves no purpose, but that's how it is in the NFL. Players just play to win the game every week, even if it's meaningless. It's a question of pride. It's a question of bonuses. It's a question of auditioning for the following year. 

I don't know about details, but what if Goodwin comes into the last game 50 yards short of 1000, and he has a significant bonus for a 1000 yard season? Don't you think he'd be pissed if Jimmy was benched and Beathard struggled and he missed it? I'm sure the 46 players dressed for that game will be playing hard to win. It would be unfair to them to sit Jimmy just because he's so precious. And honestly, do you think Jimmy himself would be happy about it?

Archived