The Jimmy Garoppolo Thread - Franchise Tag vs. Long-Term Deal

y2lamanaki

I'm sure every fan and member of the organization is ready to go long-term, no question. But I believe it will be franchise tag because Jimmy can probably cash in even more a year from now. It's risky, but it might be the more lucrative move. Unless we go really big with that long-term offer. Are we willing to go 25m per? How long are we going for? How much guaranteed money gets him to sign right away? If we go 20m per, does he sign it?

53 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'm sure every fan and member of the organization is ready to go long-term, no question. But I believe it will be franchise tag because Jimmy can probably cash in even more a year from now. It's risky, but it might be the more lucrative move. Unless we go really big with that long-term offer. Are we willing to go 25m per? How long are we going for? How much guaranteed money gets him to sign right away? If we go 20m per, does he sign it?

Let's hope that among other things he's learned from the Patriots and Tom Brady is the value in taking less money to leave more room to sign other key players. Brady has more than made up for the lack of guaranteed money in winning big as the greatest QB in the league with 5 Super Bowls, and that was helped by his team being able to always hold on to its core group.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Let's hope that among other things he's learned from the Patriots and Tom Brady is the value in taking less money to leave more room to sign other key players. Brady has more than made up for the lack of guaranteed money in winning big as the greatest QB in the league with 5 Super Bowls, and that was helped by his team being able to always hold on to its core group.

We can never guarantee any given player won't be motivated by money. But how much is enough? Tom will never be short a buck or two. Between his and Gisele's money, he can afford to "buy" his legacy by sacrificing his salary. But we don't know if Jimmy feels the same. Now we're talking over 20m a year, so at the end of his playing career, he'll probably have earned somewhere close or over 200m. Does he really need all that? And that's not counting jersey sales and sponsorships, and all other ways these guys can make money. And after his career is over, he can probably do whatever the hell he wants, TV, replacing John Lynch as GM of the niners, anything. He will never be short a buck either. But that's rarely how these things work out. The question is, will he treat his salary as a measuring stick? Personally, I don't care about how much money I make, because I'm not really interested in money. All I care about is that I make more than the others, at work, because I know I'm better than all of them. Maybe Jimmy wants to use next season to measure himself against the others. If he does, he's probably looking at 24-25m a year, like Luck and Carr.

I assume we'll still have ample cap space next year, we won't be able to spend all that 100m in just one year, so whether it's this year or next, I suppose we'll front-load Jimmy's deal. Give him 35m guaranteed in year 1, and you already have 35m in guarantees for the deal, that's not bad. Add a nice signing bonus, and then have smaller base salaries over the remaining years, and he'll have his cake and we'll eat it too. 

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Meh, I'm never going to fault a player for taking the most money they could get. Tom Brady is also married to a supermodel who makes A LOT of money, and far more than Brady himself. Can't even compare the situations.

Now, would it be nice if he takes bit of a discount? Sure.......

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Meh, I'm never going to fault a player for taking the most money they could get. Tom Brady is also married to a supermodel who makes A LOT of money, and far more than Brady himself. Can't even compare the situations.

Now, would it be nice if he takes bit of a discount? Sure.......

1) Who said anything about faulting him?

2) Gisele makes more than Brady in terms of base pay, but the millions Brady takes in in terms of endorsement deals are estimated to outpace her earnings.

3) Supermodels do not have long careers, and Brady is ultimately setup to earn more in a lifetime by virtue of not being a female model. 

4) Brady still has a 9-figure contract. If you assume Gisele making that much is the reason Brady is fine with taking less, you assume Brady recognizes the difference between say $100 mil and $125 mil, and anyone who is set up to care that much about the difference between two "low" 9-figure numbers are almost certainly not going to opt to take less (in other words, money was clearly not the objective).

5) Would you assume Jimmy "GQ" Garoppolo could not possibly find a similar situation as Brady/Gisele if that was his desire?

Brady currently has half the net worth of his wife. HALF! So yeah, if Garoppolo finds himself a women that has double his net worth, I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking big discounts either. Gisele doesn't have to have a long career, her net worth is already $360 million. 

This is also going to be Garoppolo's FIRST big contract. Did Brady take a discount during his first contract or just started doing it recently? Honestly don't know.

Again if he takes a bit of a discount, great! But I'm not hopeful for it nor expecting it. 

Net worth is not at all the same thing as income. Net worth is the amount of assets minus debt, and as we have no idea how their debts are distributed, it's impossible to compare the two. In 2016, Brady was the 54th highest grossing celebrity, Gisele the 99th (no small feat, but still less).

Peyton's first extension was for 7 years, $99 million. Brady's was for 5 years, $32 million. 

So back to my original post, let's hope that among other things he's learned from the Patriots and Tom Brady is the value in taking less money to leave more room to sign other key players.

51 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I would like to sign him to a long term deal, but why is it that I still see ESPN article(s) stating Cousins could come here?! o.O

Yeah, they aren't giving up on the prediction that would now be beyond stupid. I still saw someone predict we'll franchise Garoppolo, sign Cousins to a big deal, and trade Garoppolo for two firsts. I would be furious.

7 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

1) Who said anything about faulting him?

2) Gisele makes more than Brady in terms of base pay, but the millions Brady takes in in terms of endorsement deals are estimated to outpace her earnings.

3) Supermodels do not have long careers, and Brady is ultimately setup to earn more in a lifetime by virtue of not being a female model. 

4) Brady still has a 9-figure contract. If you assume Gisele making that much is the reason Brady is fine with taking less, you assume Brady recognizes the difference between say $100 mil and $125 mil, and anyone who is set up to care that much about the difference between two "low" 9-figure numbers are almost certainly not going to opt to take less (in other words, money was clearly not the objective).

5) Would you assume Jimmy "GQ" Garoppolo could not possibly find a similar situation as Brady/Gisele if that was his desire?

So you think that Jimmy's gonna marry a female QB? They don't make that much!!!

4 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Yeah, they aren't giving up on the prediction that would now be beyond stupid. I still saw someone predict we'll franchise Garoppolo, sign Cousins to a big deal, and trade Garoppolo for two firsts. I would be furious.

I would feel the same way!

If Jimmy continues his play like the last 3 games i see no reason to give him the franchise tag. Give him the long term deal hes always wanted and keep the man happy. Get that out of the way and build a championship team. His teammates already love him

three words:

PAY THE MAN!

I just watched this dude take on one of the best defenses in the NFL and literally shred them the first quarter and then on into the rest of the game.

he makes great decisions in the pocket, he scrambles with eyes always downfield, He's got great accuracy, and has shown most of this with a ho-hum supporting cast.

Just imagine what he would be capable of with some real protection, a true #1 WR and a better defense.

before I was cautiously optimistic but I'm all the way on the Jimmy G bandwagon

Archived