The Jimmy Garoppolo Thread - Franchise Tag vs. Long-Term Deal

y2lamanaki

This is the exact scenario Paraag Marathe proves his worth. There was a time when I hated the guy for being involved in the harbaugh/baalke/york love triangle but I love that he's the one guy that survived the breakup because I have zero worry that we are going to screw up these negotiations. Paraag is the best in the league at what he does and everyone knows it. 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

Here's my contract for Jimmy:

5 years, 115m total. 50m guaranteed

Signing bonus: 15m

Year 1: Base salary fully guaranteed, 35m, cap hit: 38m

Year 2-5: Base salary: 16.25, cap hit: 19.25.

I love this. The ideal scenario for me would be if we could lower the signing bonus and guarantee more base salary up front. I would love that scenario. Thats what the Raiders did with Carr as well. Protects your long term interests while giving him the actual guaranteed money still. I don't know that we would see 35 million up front, but I could see 25 million first year salary, fully guaranteed, and then year two at something similar, also fully guaranteed...that would give him 50 million right off the bat. Signing bonus of 15M would give him 65 million fully guaranteed, which is just shy of Carr's number last year (70 million). You can guarantee some bonuses / salaries in later years on like the third day of the league year. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I love this. The ideal scenario for me would be if we could lower the signing bonus and guarantee more base salary up front. I would love that scenario. Thats what the Raiders did with Carr as well. Protects your long term interests while giving him the actual guaranteed money still. I don't know that we would see 35 million up front, but I could see 25 million first year salary, fully guaranteed, and then year two at something similar, also fully guaranteed...that would give him 50 million right off the bat. Signing bonus of 15M would give him 65 million fully guaranteed, which is just shy of Carr's number last year (70 million). You can guarantee some bonuses / salaries in later years on like the third day of the league year. 

I wanted a big first year because we have insane cap space now, and I wanted to lower his cap hit in the future. It's paying the man (I know it's a gamble to give that much guaranteed money to someone who hasn't even a full year worth of tape, but it's Jed's money, so I don't actually care), without risking the future at all. Guarantee the first year's salary in full to make the numbers look good, but the only actual dead money is the signing bonus. After one year, we could still cut Jimmy and he would only incur 12m in cap penalty, and less with each new year. And honestly, he'd have a cap hit under 20m for each of the last 4 years of the deal, and that's Brady-esque. If we really had balls, give him 50 in base salary for year 1, and a 10m signing bonus, and he'd have a cap hit under 16m for the remainder of his deal. That would be epic. Of course, I doubt Jed signs off on such a deal, but man, that would be ballsy.

Just for fun but if you take all four games that he fully started and projected them over 16 games, here are the numbers

392 completions(Would be #1 overall among all QBs)

572 Pass attempts(Would be #1 overall among all QBs)

5000 passing yards (would be #1 overall among all QBs)

20 pass tds(13th)

12 ints(T-8th)

Wouldn't like him to be #1 in pass attempts to be honest. Don't think that happens though.

I don't think there is much question that he surpasses the 4,000 mark, and likely closer to the 4,500 range. With a better run game and more competitive team, our pass/run ratio should be much closer to the 55/45 range than what it is this season. 

30 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Just for fun but if you take all four games that he fully started and projected them over 16 games, here are the numbers

20 pass tds(13th)

12 ints(T-8th)

And 16-0 with scrubs. Get the gold jacket ready. 

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wouldn't like him to be #1 in pass attempts to be honest. Don't think that happens though.

I don't think there is much question that he surpasses the 4,000 mark, and likely closer to the 4,500 range. With a better run game and more competitive team, our pass/run ratio should be much closer to the 55/45 range than what it is this season. 

I'll take his Madden numbers in my franchise(4200  yards and 45 tds =] ) haha.

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

20 pass tds(13th)

12 ints(T-8th)

Plus his completion percentage would be second only to Brees and he'd have the highest YPA in the league.

Archived