In Game Ejections Discussion

Green19

Thomas Davis hit on Adams got me thinking... the NFL should go the same route of the NCAA and have targeting and in game ejections. It’s the only way to stop these hits.

Fines and suspensions that players ultimately repeal isn’t that much of a deterrent. Just think about it ... for knocking out GBs best weapon Davis probably is only going to get fined. In the end he did unnecessary damage to another player’s career and also lessen GBs chance of winning... all in one play... and it’s only going to cost him and most like the team money.

Plus let’s say he gets a game suspension... Carolina gets the benefit to game plan around his suspension. GB didn’t get that luxury with Adams.

More and more they need to be alittle liberal with in game ejections if they want to keep these players from taking cheap shots while they are trying to make “statements “.

Thomas Davis was responsible for the hit that ruined Terrance Murphy's career.  I don't think he cared half as much as he pretended to on the sideline after that hit because if I was responsible for ruining a man's career and nearly crippling him, I would never come close to a hit remotely close to the one he put on Adams. 

It wasn't even anywhere near the ball.  He has no excuse, and he should be suspended. 

If I see a Packer throw those BS blocks, I don't like that Packer anymore.  That's a Warren Sapp play, and Warren Sapp is total crap. 

You CANT stop 75% of the helmet to helmet. These blindside knockout blows should be ejections plus suspensions. I understand the bang/bang plays that result in a bad hit. I don’t understand the measuring up a guy looking the other way and lighting him up. You could literally just be a rag doll in the way and the block will work.

43 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Thomas Davis hit on Adams got me thinking... the NFL should go the same route of the NCAA and have targeting and in game ejections. It’s the only way to stop these hits.

Fines and suspensions that players ultimately repeal isn’t that much of a deterrent. Just think about it ... for knocking out GBs best weapon Davis probably is only going to get fined. In the end he did unnecessary damage to another player’s career and also lessen GBs chance of winning... all in one play... and it’s only going to cost him and most like the team money.

Plus let’s say he gets a game suspension... Carolina gets the benefit to game plan around his suspension. GB didn’t get that luxury with Adams.

More and more they need to be alittle liberal with in game ejections if they want to keep these players from taking cheap shots while they are trying to make “statements “.

They are going to. They've already talked about it openly.

The rule should be your out of the game and you don’t get play until the player you hit comes back. 

2 types of penalties 

1) Personal Foul - blind side block

2) Personal Foul - targeting 

that was obvious targeting as he launched at his head. Player disqualified and doesn’t return until injur d player can return.

Why should he get to play the next game if disqualified when Adams could miss several?  

4 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

The rule should be your out of the game and you don’t get play until the player you hit comes back. 

2 types of penalties 

1) Personal Foul - blind side block

2) Personal Foul - targeting 

that was obvious targeting as he launched at his head. Player disqualified and doesn’t return until injur d player can return.

Why should he get to play the next game if disqualified when Adams could miss several?  

I understand what you are saying, but that opens a can of worms that is really hard to accurately track.  

If Adams is shut down for the year since there is nothing to play for (should ATL win on MNF), does Davis have to sit the entire regular season and into the playoffs?

Teams would likely sit their 4th safety or WR in exchange for a division rivals loss of a starting player.

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Thomas Davis was responsible for the hit that ruined Terrance Murphy's career.  I don't think he cared half as much as he pretended to on the sideline after that hit because if I was responsible for ruining a man's career and nearly crippling him, I would never come close to a hit remotely close to the one he put on Adams. 

It wasn't even anywhere near the ball.  He has no excuse, and he should be suspended. 

If I see a Packer throw those BS blocks, I don't like that Packer anymore.  That's a Warren Sapp play, and Warren Sapp is total crap. 

Murphy had stenosis, no hit ended his career. They just found the stenosis as a result of that hit.

Davis is a widely respected guy in the league. The hit sucked, but again one play doesn't define a player.

8 hours ago, squire12 said:

I understand what you are saying, but that opens a can of worms that is really hard to accurately track.  

If Adams is shut down for the year since there is nothing to play for (should ATL win on MNF), does Davis have to sit the entire regular season and into the playoffs?

Teams would likely sit their 4th safety or WR in exchange for a division rivals loss of a starting player.

Independent doctor clears. One approved by the league. Kind of wonder why they don’t do that anyway. It would keep teams from risking a players safety over team wins. Plus the whole Bennett thing would go away. 

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

Independent doctor clears. One approved by the league. Kind of wonder why they don’t do that anyway. It would keep teams from risking a players safety over team wins. Plus the whole Bennett thing would go away. 

At some point, the team medical has to determine when a player can be seen by the independent doctor. 

Is this for concussion only?  Illegal hit collarbone fracture?  Shoulder injury?  Chop block MCL injuries?

I just see it as an Avenue for teams to further work the system....

On 12/18/2017 at 5:50 AM, squire12 said:

I just see it as an Avenue for teams to further work the system....

And they will work the system, based on history.

Ejection + 1 game suspension first offense.

2nd offense= ejection + 2 game suspension

If you still have a failure to communicate, strike 3 is 8 games. Here again, the vast majority of the 1800+ NFL players manage to pull it off, there are only a few repeat offenders and they need to be dealt with harshly - including by the NFLPA. The NFLPA should have a greater responsibility to the victims than the perps

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

And they will work the system, based on history.

Ejection + 1 game suspension first offense.

2nd offense= ejection + 2 game suspension

If you still have a failure to communicate, strike 3 is 8 games. Here again, the vast majority of the 1800+ NFL players manage to pull it off, there are only a few repeat offenders and they need to be dealt with harshly - including by the NFLPA. The NFLPA should have a greater responsibility to the victims than the perps

This.

On 12/17/2017 at 9:19 PM, Packerraymond said:

Davis is a widely respected guy in the league. The hit sucked, but again one play doesn't define a player.

He's a well respected human off the field, but on the field he's been fined 5 times for this exact same crapola. In the letter announcing his suspension they specifically mention his repeat offenses, escalating fines and apparent unwillingness to change his behavior. His history does define him and he needs to be held accountable for the egregiousness of his actions despite the repeated warnings and fines. There is no place in the game for what he did and no basis for an appeal. It was 100% a POS move.

I'm hoping you'll re-think your "defense" of Davis. What if that illegal hit leads to Davante Adams' retiring from the NFL ?

Unfortunately, that's on the table right now and that's a part of why Davante is so pissed off

On 12/17/2017 at 11:19 PM, Packerraymond said:

Davis being a widely respected guy in the league does not excuse the long history of these hits.

Between this and Gronk, I'm sick of reading about how "one incident doesn't define a player". It's freaking nonsense. If you deliberately deliver a killshot like these guys have done, you're a dirty player. That's the end of the discussion.

Archived