Rams or Jags: which upstart is more likely to reach the Super Bowl?

y*so*blu

Rams or Jags: which upstart is more likely to make the Super Bowl?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which is it?

• Rams
    • Jaguars

5 minutes ago, Starless said:

I would favor the Jaguars in a matchup against the Steelers or Pats, to be honest.

If they have to go on the road? No way would I. Since 2003 which was really the year Brady and Peyton's teams became dominant  (and then Ben came into the fold a year later) only one team prevented Brady/Ben/Manning from getting to the Super Bowl and it was the Ravens off a miracle run where Flacco played out of his mind and was arguably having the best QB post season ever (and certainly the best statistical one) and even that came with a ton of fortune. So once in 15 years someone broke through the wall. 

57 minutes ago, lancerman said:

If they have to go on the road? No way would I. Since 2003 which was really the year Brady and Peyton's teams became dominant  (and then Ben came into the fold a year later) only one team prevented Brady/Ben/Manning from getting to the Super Bowl and it was the Ravens off a miracle run where Flacco played out of his mind and was arguably having the best QB post season ever (and certainly the best statistical one) and even that came with a ton of fortune. So once in 15 years someone broke through the wall. 

This Jags defense is better than the one that made Brady look subpar in '11 and '12, and the Pats' run defense is so porous that I can't trust them to contain Fournette/Ivory. Unless the Jags lose some combination of Campbell, Fournette, Ramsey and Ngakoue between now and then, I'd favor them in a h2h matchup with either the Pats or Steelers, regardless of venue.

And let's not discount Bortles entirely. He's shown himself capable of catching fire the same way Flacco and Eli Manning did.

I’d say the Rams just because they can run with a healthy and dependable Gurley (I like Fournette but he isn’t dependable due to health issues), Goff is better than Bortles in key areas (Goff is 19 tds to 0 ints in the redzone and has the Rams in the top 10 on 3rd down conversions. Not to mention Goff isn’t turnover prone, doesn’t get sack much and is 3rd in the NFL in scoring tds on 3rd downs among QBs. I could also throw in that Goff throws the ball down field and that’s why the Rams are elite in explosive plays both with Goff and Gurley). The Rams defense isn’t bad at all and what we saw today is their ceiling and it’s just as scary as the Jaguars defense.

5 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I’d say the Rams just because they can run with a healthy and dependable Gurley (I like Fournette but he isn’t dependable due to health issues), Goff is better than Bortles in key areas (Goff is 19 tds to 0 ints in the redzone and has the Rams in the top 10 on 3rd down conversions. Not to mention Goff isn’t turnover prone, doesn’t get sack much and is 3rd in the NFL in scoring tds on 3rd downs among QBs. I could also throw in that Goff throws the ball down field and that’s why the Rams are elite in explosive plays both with Goff and Gurley). The Rams defense isn’t bad at all and what we saw today is their ceiling and it’s just as scary as the Jaguars defense.

No, it's not.

20 minutes ago, lancerman said:

can you explain why what happened 6 years ago with completely different teams matters today?

58 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Rams. I'm going to get flack for this, but I don't think the NFC is as strong as it is competetive. And what I mean by that is in the AFC the Steelers and Patriots have just proven over and over again (along with Manning's team when he was there) that they are brick walls that the up and coming teams smash into and flatten out on. And Jacksonville's most likely road is going through both of them in their house. And the 2012 Raven's has broken through the Brady/Ben/Manning wall in the AFC and it took the greatest statistical QB playoff performance ever, which I don't see Bortles doing. 

I think the NFC is alot more malleable. I think a lot of the strong teams in the NFC are looking strong because the teams that usually have their number are having down years. Seattle, Dallas, New York, Green Bay, are having down years and the Vikings, Rams,  and Eagles are capitalizing and then the Falcons are having a down year and the Saints and Panthers have gotten back in the mix. I can see the Rams pushing through that a lot easier than if they had to go through major stalwarts. Like if Seattle was still the Seattle of the last few years or Green Bay was in there I'd give it some pause, but I don't see as much resistance. 

So my money would be on the Rams.

I'd rather play Pittsburgh or New England than Minnesota. The Rams can score, and our special teams unit is amazing. Our defense is good but not great. However, we have a pass rush that can get after the QB. Minnesota's defense scares the heck out of me. Our weakness is a great defense that can win in the trenches against our OL. Pittsburgh and NE have been getting run over the past few weeks. I think both are easier matchups for us than Minnesota. 

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

can you explain why what happened 6 years ago with completely different teams matters today?

Because in 15 years that team was the only example of a team getting into the Super Bowl over Brady/Ben/Manning. So I have years of history and precedent where I only even have to go back to last year to say it's an incredibly hard task for someone to do that. And Jacksonville would likely have to do it against two of them to have a hope of making the Super Bowl. 

Meanwhile nobody in the NFC playoffs really has a history of being a gatekeeper that is insurmountable for a team like the Rams to beat. Half the teams in the NFC playoffs weren't even in the playoffs last year, one of them lost their QB, one of them wouldn't likely have won their division if Green Bay had their QB, one of them has the team that has one their division the last 4 seasons falling apart due to injuries, and the other has two teams that are not nearly as strong as they were in recent memory (Falcons and Panthers). So yeah I'll take the Rams chances of that over the Jags chances of the two teams that have accounted for 10 of the last 15 AFC Championships. 

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

No, it's not.

Did you see what the Rams did to Seattle today? I’m saying if the Rams defense plays like it did today, how is that not scary? They held the Seahawks to 149yds total, 7pts and sacked Wilson 7 times in their own building. The Rams defense harassed Brees in the only game that he has been sacked and pressured the most all season. 

Just now, stl4life07 said:

Did you see what the Rams did to Seattle today? I’m saying if the Rams defense plays like it did today, how is that not scary? They held the Seahawks to 149yds total, 7pts and sacked Wilson 7 times in their own building. The Rams defense harassed Brees in the only game that he has been sacked and pressured the most all season. 

The Rams always own Wilson and the Seahawks. It's a matchup we dominate. The Eagles torched us last week. The Jaguars are an elite defense. We are a good defense.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I'd rather play Pittsburgh or New England than Minnesota. The Rams can score, and our special teams unit is amazing. Our defense is good but not great. However, we have a pass rush that can get after the QB. Minnesota's defense scares the heck out of me. Our weakness is a great defense that can win in the trenches against our OL. Pittsburgh and NE have been getting run over the past few weeks. I think both are easier matchups for us than Minnesota. 

I don't know why you would. New England and Pittsburgh come playoff time will be relatively healthy offensively (PIT is getting Brown back, NE should be getting Hogan and Mitchell back). And until PIT lost Shazier they had one of the most dominant defenses in the NFL and 9 of the last 13 games NE held their opponents to less than 20 and catapulted into the top 10 in ppg (after being dead last after the first 4 weeks) and the only two that broke 20 were a Miami team in Miami who NE historically has had issues with even in Super Bowl years and Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh who sports one of the best offenses in the entire league. Then I'd argue the two best QB's in the playoffs are Ben and Brady and the most dynamic offensive playmakers in the playoffs are Brown, Bell and Gronk. And the most seasoned coaches with the most experience in the playoffs are Belichick and Tomlin. 

Also you really trust a Florida or LA team to go to outside stadiums in Pittsburgh or Foxborough in January and be more competitive?

To me that's a lot to overcome vs an Eagles team that lost their starting QB with a 2nd year HC and Minnesota team, who albeit with a very good defense, that probably wouldn't have won their division if Rodgers was healthy. 

7 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Because in 15 years that team was the only example of a team getting into the Super Bowl over Brady/Ben/Manning. So I have years of history and precedent where I only even have to go back to last year to say it's an incredibly hard task for someone to do that. And Jacksonville would likely have to do it against two of them to have a hope of making the Super Bowl. 

Meanwhile nobody in the NFC playoffs really has a history of being a gatekeeper that is insurmountable for a team like the Rams to beat. Half the teams in the NFC playoffs weren't even in the playoffs last year, one of them lost their QB, one of them wouldn't likely have won their division if Green Bay had their QB, one of them has the team that has one their division the last 4 seasons falling apart due to injuries, and the other has two teams that are not nearly as strong as they were in recent memory (Falcons and Panthers). So yeah I'll take the Rams chances of that over the Jags chances of the two teams that have accounted for 10 of the last 15 AFC Championships. 

whats that really good saying about causation and correlation? Cause it fits perfectly here. most of what youve said is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with this years teams.

Just now, lancerman said:

I don't know why you would. New England and Pittsburgh come playoff time will be relatively healthy offensively (PIT is getting Brown back, NE should be getting Hogan and Mitchell back). And until PIT lost Shazier they had one of the most dominant defenses in the NFL and 9 of the last 13 games NE held their opponents to less than 20 and catapulted into the top 10 in ppg (after being dead last after the first 4 weeks) and the only two that broke 20 were a Miami team in Miami who NE historically has had issues with even in Super Bowl years and Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh who sports one of the best offenses in the entire league.

Fact is that Shazier is out, and Pitt's defense has not looked good stopping the run since the injury. Your defense is not good. It's apparent.

Then I'd argue the two best QB's in the playoffs are Ben and Brady and the most dynamic offensive playmakers in the playoffs are Brown, Bell and Gronk. And the most seasoned coaches with the most experience in the playoffs are Belichick and Tomlin. 

That's not true. Brees is better than either.

Also you really trust a Florida or LA team to go to outside stadiums in Pittsburgh or Foxborough in January and be more competitive?

Yes. Why? Because neither team stops the run well, and the Rams have Todd Gurley and a very good OL. We're also a better road team than home team.

To me that's a lot to overcome vs an Eagles team that lost their starting QB with a 2nd year HC and Minnesota team, who albeit with a very good defense, that probably wouldn't have won their division if Rodgers was healthy. 

We're not going to play the Eagles. We likely end up playing the Vikings and the Saints (if we beat the Vikings). Football is all about matchups. Our team matches up better to the Patriots or the Steelers than the Vikings. I'd rather have to beat Pitt or NE in a potential shootout than beat Minnesota in a defensive slugfest.

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

whats that really good saying about causation and correlation? Cause it fits perfectly here. most of what youve said is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with this years teams.

It's irrelevant until you finally learn "hey maybe that thing that happens every year is going to happen this year and I won't be surprised if it does".

I'm putting my money on the son rising in the East in the morning. Jacksonville's most likely scenario is going against the two best QB's and coaches in the playoffs against the best WR/RB/TE, on the road in two places where both teams have enjoyed dominant homefield advantages.

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The Rams always own Wilson and the Seahawks. It's a matchup we dominate. The Eagles torched us last week. The Jaguars are an elite defense. We are a good defense.

The Rams defense is elite. Sometimes they don’t look like it. If you are saying the Jags has been more consistent on defense then yes but the Rams defense is elite. When the Rams are locked in like they were today or against Brees or in the 2nd half against Zeke and Dak, the Rams are ferocious. 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

The Rams defense is elite. Sometimes they don’t look like it. If you are saying the Jags has been more consistent on defense then yes but the Rams defense is elite. When the Rams are locked in like they were today or against Brees or in the 2nd half against Zeke and Dak, the Rams are ferocious. 

You don't get to cherry-pick our great stretches to claim we're elite. Dallas scored 30 on us. We're not an elite defense.

Archived