2018 Packer DEFENSE Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Who though... Who is top tier that will come available? I don't see it.

That's a good question. I haven't looked at the FA list, nor have I done a personal evaluation of the top pass rushers in the coming draft. I would hope if we hold Chubb or Key in high regard we'd try to make a move for one of them.

15 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Is anybody else high on Derrick Matthews? Between going to camp a couple of days (which doesn't mean much) and preseason games I thought this kid was the guy to me that stood out. But he didn't make the team and got put and put on our ps 2x. 

And he was only cut that one time bc this

https://www.google.com/amp/packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/15/why-packers-re-signed-practice-squad-lb-two-days-after-releasing-him/amp/

2 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Thanks I never knew that is why they cut him, I figured they weren't just that high on him. I'd like it if someone weighs in on him if they were as high on him as I. 

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Yes, teams don't even let good, let alone top tier, pass rushers hit the open market.  If we are gonna get a good EDGE guy he's going to have to be found via the draft.  Perhaps with all of our picks we have this year maybe we can make a deal and move up and/or move back into the first and address this pressing need this spring.

With this team’s lack of going out into FA, they might sign Brooks and House for another year though, this defense is only getting talent from the draft. With that in mind they need to put pass rushers at the top of the need list. I mentioned before they “should” use a 1st and 3rd on high quality rushers. The 2nd rounder then should likely go to another CB. From there fill the rest of the roster out... OL, WR, etc.

most importantly they need a new DC. If anything to send a message poor tackling, angles, miscommunications, etc is no long acceptable. The new DC also needs to bring a simple scheme because until these players show they aren’t just going to let TEs or RBs run free... they need to dumb it down and tell all of them look we are doing this because you guys aren’t good enough... they want to be exotic... prove you can handle it. Otherwise it’s about just beating the man across from you, and if you can’t do that consistently, you don’t start or even play.

I don't think there's a single player on Jacksonville's defense that wouldn't start on our defense lmao. Maybe Morgan Burnett > Barry Church? Mike Daniels would fit in under Calais Campbell and over Malik Jackson and Dareus? HHCD has been garbage this year

10 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Pass rushers are not divas.  If Perry or Matthews were asked to be situational, they might even prefer it. 

We've seen plenty of times this year how much different Clay plays when he's had rest between plays.  Clay gets more sacks in 2018 the less snaps he plays.  Fact. 

Something I feel like I've repeated myself over and over again.  You essentially have to have three starting pass rushers.  One player might not get the de facto GS label, but they're playing starter snaps.

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

This topic is useless until Capers and TT are gone. Until then the defense is going to look 95% the same personnel wise with maybe an added rookie or two, and be the same dysfunctional unit under Capers that we've seen for years. You want to fix the defense? Change the people who can't seem to put it together right despite years of opportunity. 

We said the same damn thing before the Packers hired Dom Capers..

7 hours ago, pollino14 said:

At the very least Capers. Time to go all out and get a top tier talent on the EDGE. A new DC and a stud pass rusher and the D will be ready to go. Re-sign Burnett as well.

6 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Eric Walden available?

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We said the same damn thing before the Packers hired Dom Capers..

If he coordinated a better product none of it would have to be said. Capers has been one of, if not the highest paid defensive coordinators in the league since he got here. Fail.

No one is screaming to replace Campen

15 hours ago, cannondale said:

If he coordinated a better product none of it would have to be said. Capers has been one of, if not the highest paid defensive coordinators in the league since he got here. Fail.

No one is screaming to replace Campen

They used to, I'm not sure what the last part is about though? But they used to.

June 1st cuts.  Who you got?  I didn't call it here, but my brain called Ahmad Brooks.  You know it's true because he didn't do too terribly well, so why would I try to take credit for calling for something that didn't work out? 

Doesn't have to be a pass rusher. 

On 12/18/2017 at 12:50 PM, pollino14 said:

That's a good question. I haven't looked at the FA list, nor have I done a personal evaluation of the top pass rushers in the coming draft. I would hope if we hold Chubb or Key in high regard we'd try to make a move for one of them.

To me, the best player who MIGHT be available is Ndomukong Suh.  Not a position of need, but man, that would be a splurge I could get behind.

Archived