Was Barry Bonds being blackballed the biggest travesty in MLB history?

mission27

Was it?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Tbh

• Yes
    • I'm Joe Morgan

No doubt about it. MLB owners colluded to keep the GOAT baseball player out and in turn it robbed us, the fans, of at least 2-3 more yrs of seeing Bonds mash and robbed Bonds of likely reaching the 800 career HR mark. I really wanted him on the Angels as their DH during that offseason to pair with Vlad.

Now we got these sanctimonious dorks with HOF voting credentials keeping him out of the HOF and thus making the HOF a joke.

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Barry Bonds was also ten years older than Alex Rodriguez, was showing signs of regression, and was, frankly, not well liked by anyone.

I don't think anyone is claiming he should have gotten the same contract as ARod. It's to point out that however "declining" he was he at the time was still just as a good as a 10year $250M player so that fact that no one was willing to sign him was absurd.

23 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

And yet was still more than good enough to play.

Plenty of guys who everybody hates played forever. Nobody liked Curt Schilling.

Players loved Schilling.  It wasn't until after his playing days that he became a pariah.  Bonds' last few years he was a huge distraction to the Giants and the media/fans had it out for him.  Even his alma mater wanted nothing to do with him before the PED stuff because he was a world class a-hole.  It was ridiculous that he couldn't find work but he played a part in it.

13 hours ago, mission27 said:

Yeah because everyone liked ARod.

A-Rod wasn't disliked in the same way Barry was.

46 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Players loved Schilling.  It wasn't until after his playing days that he became a pariah.  Bonds' last few years he was a huge distraction to the Giants and the media/fans had it out for him.  Even his alma mater wanted nothing to do with him before the PED stuff because he was a world class a-hole.  It was ridiculous that he couldn't find work but he played a part in it.

This. Everyone knew Bonds only gave a damn about himself at that point. He didn't care about championships, he simply wanted records.

Screw Pete Rose

Also yeah I don't have a problem with teams acting on their own accord and not signing Barry.  He was a giant tool who required all sorts of special accommodations that could negatively impact team chemistry. I know that's not a popular position here, but idc.

if owners actually collided with each other to not sign him then yeah that's bad.

On 12/22/2017 at 10:42 AM, redsoxsuck05 said:

Screw Pete Rose

Also yeah I don't have a problem with teams acting on their own accord and not signing Barry.  He was a giant tool who required all sorts of special accommodations that could negatively impact team chemistry. I know that's not a popular position here, but idc.

if owners actually collided with each other to not sign him then yeah that's bad.

But he was also the best baseball player of any of our lifetimes, doesn’t that out weigh him not being the nicest guy in the world? 

He was Ted Williams or Ty Cobb... except probably better and less of a tool... should those guys have been not signed during their prime? 

Tbh whether it was a deliberate conspiracy of owners or the media screwing him over, someone screwed Barry Bonds. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived