The good, the bad, the season is over.

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Defense was good, for what they are. JDR should take more flak for not making the move to Pagano earlier. Mack/Irvin are on fire. He's putting his 2 best players in spots to effect the game. Ward made a couple plays. Marrow continues to be a nice surprise for such an unheralded player. 

McDonald - have to laugh at people who praise him or think he deserves to be on the roster. His technique is so poor. He was an easy target all night.

The List ( people gone next year):

Downing

Roberts

Mcdonald

Nelson

Jano

Sean Smith

Amerson

6 hours ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

This might've been TDs best game just from the eye test. Can't control drops and things like that but I saw more motion, play action and creativity then I have seen in a while. Not saying that he should stay, just pointing it out 

I know I sound like a broken record but it really irks me that we seemingly never run a PA pass on 2nd and short.  Feel like we miss opportunities there.  Even Collinsworth pointed something like that out.

7 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Yeah the defense has really played better since Pagano took over. Sean Smith even had a fairly good game, this team still needs another corner.

They only have 1. Conley. Need 2-3 corners. Smith is about done. Amerson need re-structured or released. Everything else is fringe roster quality. 

The Good

Defence is clearly showing signs of life - 2 Ints in a single game and I think Pagano deserves a shot next year based on his showing so far

Outside pass rush with Mack and Irvin has been very good

Lynch once again showing he's got plenty of tread on his tires still

Marshall Newhouse did a good job filling in for Penn against one of the leagues best pass rushers, pass protection in general was pretty good and Vadal did well too not standing out negatively

Sean Smith had another very solid game and apart from a few early gaps in our zones we adjusted and tightened up our pass coverage well

Goaline stand in the 4th was great

Morrow looked pretty good, especially in coverage on Witten a few times, he seems to be settling into a decent role and will be good depth at least 

The Bad

Offensive game plan was again lots of short crosses, quick outs and very conservative it doesn't seem to play to our receivers strengths at all

Cowboys OL bullied us around early inside, Vanderdoes, Latham, Hester and Ward all struggled I thought

Derek Carr again wasn't great again and probably should have had a couple interceptions, last years Derek would have won that one as our D did enough again

Tavecchio didn't come through when we needed him, we really needed that 1st half FG 

Too many penalties on STs, every flippin' punt return there's a penalty and one cost us a TD

That was clearly a game we'd have won last year and the little things like unnecessary penalties, the fumble through the end zone, the FG miss, 4th down measure all went against us this time round  

The Ugly

If you can fit a folded card between the ball and the marker then surely that indicates the ball is short of the marker by the width of the card? Am I missing something here????

We need to keep pagano next year. He makes this defense competitive and this is with Reggie Nelson at free safety and barely any talent at corner.

Roberts as far as I"m concerned shouldn't start for this team next year. He's one of the worst receivers in the NFL and he's not a good route runner, as was painfully evident in Carr trying to put his trust in him.

Downing needs to be gone, and this OL needs to go back to power blocking.

Lynch needs to be back next year. He's been very dynamic for us and still has the juice.

Although I feel terrible about the loss, I think we need a good draft to restock some talent on this team in the defensive trenches, add a young LB, and a corner. Picking in the high teens won't do that. 

14 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I know I sound like a broken record but it really irks me that we seemingly never run a PA pass on 2nd and short.  Feel like we miss opportunities there.  Even Collinsworth pointed something like that out.

Downing. He just doesn't understand situational football. Heck, the Carr fumble play. Look at the pathetic route concepts of that play with the game on the line. Carr had nothing to work with before the ball was snapped. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Downing. He just doesn't understand situational football. Heck, the Carr fumble play. Look at the pathetic route concepts of that play with the game on the line. Carr had nothing to work with before the ball was snapped. 

We could use an experienced offensive mind for him to work with.  Not even like a Pagano type, just someone to bounce things off and remind him of things like that.  He's just in over his head from the look of it.

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

We could use an experienced offensive mind for him to work with.  Not even like a Pagano type, just someone to bounce things off and remind him of things like that.  He's just in over his head from the look of it.

Agreed. But as a pure play caller. Understanding concepts, down and distance, etc. no experienced offensive mind can call plays for him. 

Further, he (or JDR), someone is not holding this team accountable. Poor execution, blocking, dropping passes. Carr looks erratic and impatient. These guys are not getting coached right.

2 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

If the team is committed to keeping Downing for another year, we might see someone like Koetter brought in to occupy the same role Pagano did before Norton got fired.

8 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

If the team is committed to keeping Downing for another year, we might see someone like Koetter brought in to occupy the same role Pagano did before Norton got fired.

I'm not sure Koetter would take that kind of job.  But maybe.  I feel like he'd go for a OC job with maybe a AHC title somewhere.  But you never know.

Archived